BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#15801 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-July-01, 12:09

View Posty66, on 2020-July-01, 09:34, said:

From Meet the Supporters Trump Has Lost by Claire Cain Miller, Kevin Quealy and Nate Cohn at the NYT/Upshot:

BBO reporter: Are you voting for Trump

Judith Goines: No man.

BBO: Why not?

Goines: Trump is a pig. Pig's are filthy animals. I don't vote for swine.

BBO: How about Biden.

Goines: Biden is not a pig.

BBO: Yeah, but do you think he's too progressive?

Goines: Maybe. Progressives are more like dogs than pigs. They're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

BBO: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be filthy animal. Is that true?

Goines: Well, we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherf***in' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

Pup fiction? Posted Image
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15802 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-July-01, 12:11

Btw, it's not just Trump. The entire Republican party has lost its mind:

Lauren Boebert, a restaurant owner who encourages her employees to openly carry firearms while working and has expressed support for the QAnon conspiracy theory, won the Republican primary in Colorado's 3rd Congressional District on Tuesday night, ousting incumbent Rep. Scott Tipton.

Then again, maybe it is just Trump:

President Donald Trump called a Black Lives Matter mural to be painted on 5th Avenue outside Trump Tower "a symbol of hate."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15803 User is online   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-01, 18:54

View Postjohnu, on 2020-July-01, 02:15, said:

And more from the category WTF is the Manchurian President doing:

The Flag-Hugger-In-Chief Flies A Nonstandard, Cheaper One At Mar-a-Lago

It's a good thing the Manchurian President claims to love the US flag because one can only imagine how poorly he would respect the flag if he didn't love it.

I see the CHOP has been broken up in Seattle Johnboy. Please list for us what you accomplished "in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" while there. Thanks.

#15804 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-01, 22:37

View PostChas_Troll_No_Honesty_NoDignity_NoIntegrity, on 2020-July-01, 18:54, said:

Wow, it that the best you can come up with :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for you to defend the Manchurian President on not only doing nothing about the Russian bounties on US troops, but rewarding Russia by inviting them back to the G7, and withdrawing NATO troops from Poland. Or doing less than nothing to stop the coronavirus pandemic in the US by publicly undermining mask wearing and public distancing orders. Or any of the other hundreds of other issues that have been brought up in the past 4 years.

The Manchurian President is basically committing treason against the US military by not taking action against Russia and you have no comments? Honestly, I don't expect anything better from you.

And what about defending the Imperial Wizard in Chief for being the most racist president since before the Civil War. Maybe you can prove your worth by voting twice or more for Brian Kemp in his next election. We all know who you are voting for in November. Are you planning to vote by mail? :lol:

Are you planning to drive by the nearest military base this July 4 and wave your confederate flag?

#15805 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 03:20

The latest campaign ad from the Lincoln project

GOP Group Trolls ‘Comrade Trump’ With Mock Endorsement Ad From Vladimir Putin

The video went live amid reports that Trump and his administration knew of intelligence that found a Russian military unit was paying bounties to Afghan militants for killing U.S. troops.

“As the mother of a Marine, I lived with the fear of receiving a knock on the door and hearing the news no mom ever wants to hear: my son could have been taken from me,” Lincoln Project cofounder Jennifer Horn said in a news release earlier this week.

“It enrages me to think of the parents who lost their child because of Trump’s complete dereliction of duty,” she added. “He is a stain on their memories.”

This might be trolling the Manchurian President, but I can't really see anything in the ad that can't be reasonably assumed based on reported facts.

#15806 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 12:39

In the shadow of an out of control COVID-19 onslaught, the Grifter in Chief has fantasy happy talk for the nation.

Trump claims coronavirus is ‘under control’ despite record-high cases

President Trump said Thursday that the coronavirus pandemic is “under control” while Sun Belt states report daily records in new case counts and the United States nears 2.7 million cases.

“[China and Europe are] getting under control, and we are likewise getting under control,” Trump said during a Thursday press briefing.

Meanwhile, the U.S. reported a record-high number of coronavirus cases Wednesday: 52,789. Despite warnings that the pandemic will worsen from top government infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci, Trump insisted that renewed outbreaks in Southern states will be short-lived.

Trump said Wednesday that the coronavirus is “going to sort of just disappear.”

The only thing that makes sense is that the Stable Genius was looking at infection and hospitalization graphs upside down and mistook out of control growth in COVID-19 for miraculous decreases in cases. Honestly, the Chief of Staff, VP, and National Security Advisor need to get on the ball and have a general or one of the department Secretaries take a sharpie and draw a pointer to show which way is up on the presidential briefing materials.

As for the comment about the coronavirus just magically disappearing, the Grifter in Chief has made basically the same comment at least 19 times going back to February. I attribute that to a post-it note with that idea on the presidential desk in the Oval Office that accidentally got permanently glued to the surface. Every so often things are cleared off the desk and the post-it becomes very visible and the Stable Genius thinks it is a new talking point.

#15807 User is online   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 17:56

View Postjohnu, on 2020-July-01, 22:37, said:

Are you planning to drive by the nearest military base this July 4 and wave your confederate flag?

I haven't decided yet. I may go to the airshow at Robins AFB.

What about you? Are you still living in your parents' basement?

#15808 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 20:24

Posted Image
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#15809 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 23:27

View PostChas_Troll_NoDignity_NoIntegrity_NoHonor, on 2020-July-02, 17:56, said:

Non responsive answer removed

Being the Confederate patriot that you are, I thought you would have jumped at the chance to defend your Confederate President for his treasonous actions after Russia put a bounty on US troops. I guess that is a bridge too far :rolleyes:

Or defend the criminal refusal to let the US government try to control the coronavirus pandemic in the US, or the lack of PPE for health professionals after there have been shortages since almost day 1. I'm sure the Manchurian President would send a tweet your way for one of his prime stooges if you put in any effort to actually defend him.

#15810 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-July-03, 08:27

WASHINGTON – Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said that some soldiers deployed to Washington, D.C. to possibly assist in thwarting Black Lives Matter protests were issued bayonets, USA TODAY has confirmed.

Members of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division from Fort Bragg in North Carolina and the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, known as the "Old Guard", based just outside the nation's capital, were mobilized early last month in response to demonstrations over police brutality following the death of George Floyd.

Somehow it seems apt that this Confederate-loving president would order armed troops from Ft. Bragg to put down what I'm sure in his mind was a "black lives matter rebellion".

#15811 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-July-03, 08:52

David Brooks at NYT said:

We Americans enter the July 4 weekend of 2020 humiliated as almost never before. We had one collective project this year and that was to crush Covid-19, and we failed.

On Wednesday, we had about 50,000 new positive tests, a record. Other nations are beating the disease while our infection lines shoot upward as sharply as they did in March.

This failure will lead to other failures. A third of Americans show signs of clinical anxiety or depression, according to the Census Bureau. Suspected drug overdose deaths surged by 42 percent in May. Small businesses, colleges and community hubs will close.

At least Americans are not in denial about the nation’s turmoil of the last three months. According to a Pew survey, 71 percent of Americans are angry about the state of the country right now and 66 percent are fearful. Only 17 percent are proud.

Americans are reacting in two positive ways. We’re seeing incredible shifts in attitudes toward race. Roughly 60 percent of Americans now believe that African-Americans face a great deal or a lot of discrimination. People have been waiting for a white backlash since the riots, or since the statues started toppling. There isn’t much if any evidence of a backlash. There’s evidence of a fore-lash.

Second, Americans have decided to get rid of Donald Trump. His mishandling of Covid-19 hurt him among seniors. His racist catcalls in a time of racial reckoning have damaged him among all groups.

I’ll be delighted when Trump goes, but it’s worth pointing out that it wasn’t only because of Donald Trump that Americans never really locked down, and then started moving around again in late April.

It wasn’t Trump who went out to bars in Tempe, Austin and Los Angeles in June. It wasn’t Trump who put on hospital gowns and told the American people you could suspend the lockdown if your cause was just. Once you told people they could suspend the lockdown for one thing, they were going to suspend it for others.

Our fixation on the awfulness of Donald Trump has distracted us from the larger problems and rendered us strangely passive in the face of them. Sure, this was a Republican failure, but it was also a collective failure, and it follows a few decades of collective failures.

Editors’ Picks

The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican

Don’t Hate Me, but I Hate My Job

Summer’s Here, and America Is Ready to Quarancheat
Continue reading the main story
On the day Trump leaves office, we’ll still have a younger generation with worse life prospects than their parents had faced. We’ll still have a cultural elite that knows little about people in red America and daily sends the message that they are illegitimate. We’ll still have yawning inequalities, residential segregation, crumbling social capital, a crisis in family formation.

Trump’s rise in 2016 was a symptom of all these crises, long before he had a chance to become an additional cause of them.

What’s the core problem? Damon Linker is on to a piece of it: “It amounts to a refusal on the part of lots of Americans to think in terms of the social whole — of what’s best for the community, of the common or public good. Each of us thinks we know what’s best for ourselves.”

I’d add that this individualism, atomism and selfishness is downstream from a deeper crisis of legitimacy. In 1970, in a moment like our own, Irving Kristol wrote, “In the same way as men cannot for long tolerate a sense of spiritual meaninglessness in their individual lives, so they cannot for long accept a society in which power, privilege, and property are not distributed according to some morally meaningful criteria.”

A lot of people look around at the conditions of this country — how Black Americans are treated, how communities are collapsing, how Washington doesn’t work — and none of it makes sense. None of it inspires faith, confidence. In none of it do they feel a part.

If you don’t breathe the spirit of the nation, if you don’t have a fierce sense of belonging to each other, you’re not going to sacrifice for the common good. We’re confronted with a succession of wicked problems and it turns out we’re not even capable of putting on a friggin’ mask.

In the days leading up to this July 4 weekend, I’ve been thinking about a scene in “Good Will Hunting.” We’ve seen Will perform all these mathematical feats and flights of verbal brilliance, but the Robin Williams character sits him down on a park bench and confronts him with a rot at the core of his character. “I look at you; I don’t see an intelligent, confident man; I see a cocky, scared” kid.

The last three years have been like that Robin Williams speech for a whole nation — an intervention, a truth-telling. I had hopes that the crisis would bring us together, but it’s made everything harder and worse. And now I worry less about populism or radical wokeness than about a pervasive loss of national faith.

What’s lurking, I hope, somewhere deep down inside is our shared ferocious love for our common country and a vision for the role America could play as the great pluralist beacon of the 21st century.

July 4 would be a good day to find that faith.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#15812 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-July-03, 10:35

For the stranger than fiction file:

Mississippi election commissioner Gail Welch said:

I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi. The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too.

https://hattiesburga...nts/3280055001/

#15813 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-July-03, 10:47

View PostChas_P, on 2020-July-01, 18:54, said:

I see the CHOP has been broken up in Seattle Johnboy. Please list for us what you accomplished "in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" while there. Thanks.

Who the ***** cares?

Has there been any discussion of CHAZ or CHOP or whatever that merry little band of idiots was calling themselves before now?

I understand that Chas is desperately trying to deflect attention from any of the 1,001 major scandals that are currently engulfing the Trump administration and the country, but seriously...

Perhaps the fever swamp of the right wing media cares about this stuff.
No one with a brain does.
Alderaan delenda est

#15814 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-July-03, 10:50

View PostChas_P, on 2020-July-02, 17:56, said:

What about you? Are you still living in your parents' basement?

Breathe deep while you're there Chaz
(and don't wear a mask! They're for wimps)
Alderaan delenda est

#15815 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 17:06

View PostChas_P (racist), on 2020-July-02, 17:56, said:

I would have thought that Fort Benning and Fort Gordon were more in your line. What are your thoughts on having a US military base named after a (probable) former head of the Georgia KKK?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#15816 User is online   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 18:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-July-03, 10:50, said:

Breathe deep while you're there Chaz
(and don't wear a mask! They're for wimps)

Regardless of skin tone or political persuasion tomorrow is the fourth of July and "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I wish you all the best Richard.

#15817 User is online   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 18:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-July-03, 17:06, said:

I would have thought that Fort Benning and Fort Gordon were more in your line. What are your thoughts on having a US military base named after a (probable) former head of the Georgia KKK?

I would think that you are a half-wit. How's that?

#15818 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 19:00

View PostChas_P (racist), on 2020-July-03, 18:45, said:

I would think that you are a half-wit. How's that?

That is possibly the most constructive answer you have ever given, so thank you. I shall wear the name-tag with pride.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#15819 User is online   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 19:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-July-03, 19:00, said:

I shall wear the name-tag with pride.

As well you should. Maybe I'll send you a medal.

#15820 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-July-03, 20:03

I have to give Trump credit for one accomplishment: he is preparing the nation for a generational repudiation of the Republican party along with its selfish, zenophobic, and racist members. When Mitch McConnell starts whining about Democrats changing rules in the Senate, you know things are dire for the Confederate...er.... Republican party.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

35 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users