BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#11101 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-26, 12:30

I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet, but the dual-sovereignty doctrine is being reviewed by SCOTUS in Oct. Seems relevant! link
OK
bed

#11102 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-26, 12:55

hrothgar, on 2018-September-26, 09:33, said:

Latest deposition

Made under pain of perjury
The accuser has a security clearance
The accuser claims that Kavenaugh engaged in gage rape
The accuser says that she has witnesses

https://twitter.com/...960428730843136

I don't know. What she describes would have been witnessed by so many people that it is strange no one has ever mentioned it before
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11103 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-September-26, 12:56

hrothgar, on 2018-September-26, 09:33, said:

Latest deposition

Made under pain of perjury
The accuser has a security clearance
The accuser claims that Kavenaugh engaged in gage rape
The accuser says that she has witnesses

https://twitter.com/...960428730843136

I don't know. What she describes would have been witnessed by so many people that it is strange no one has ever mentioned it before
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11104 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-September-26, 14:15

This might force the committee to call for an FBI investigation, unless they truly fear what the investigation will turn up
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#11105 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-26, 15:34

Having this professional sex crimes prosecutor doing the questioning for the GOP side could be fascinating.

1. She gets a 55 minute free run unlike the 5 minutes per Dem Senator. She likely gets 5 minutes in between them?
2. Will she be lobbing softballs when questioning Kavanaugh like the GOP Senators would?

I'm sure every line of questioning she takes has been sanitized but it could easily go off script.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11106 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-26, 18:29

Fourth accusation: Senate probing new allegation of misconduct against Kavanaugh

According to an anonymous complaint sent to Republican Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, Kavanaugh physically assaulted a woman he socialized with in the Washington, D.C., area in 1998 while he was inebriated.

The sender of the complaint described an evening involving her own daughter, Kavanaugh and several friends in 1998.

“When they left the bar (under the influence of alcohol) they were all shocked when Brett Kavanaugh, shoved her friend up against the wall very aggressively and sexually.”

“There were at least four witnesses including my daughter.” The writer of the letter provided no names but said the alleged victim was still traumatized and had decided to remain anonymous herself.

In 1998, Kavanaugh was 33 years old. He might do well to give up drinking alcohol.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#11107 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 01:38

Dennison Says China Has Respect For His 'Very, Very Large Brain'

Americans can be very proud that they elected a President with a very, very large brain. B-)

#11108 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 05:27

johnu, on 2018-September-27, 01:38, said:

Dennison Says China Has Respect For His 'Very, Very Large Brain'

Americans can be very proud that they elected a President with a very, very large brain. B-)

Actually the Chinese were saying "fathead" but the Trump friendly translator phrased it as "very, very large brain".
Ken

#11109 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-September-27, 07:34

I wish Dr. Ford the very best today. I think she is a straight talker. Possibly she will be the only one in the room who is.
Ken

#11110 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 07:47

kenberg, on 2018-September-27, 07:34, said:

I wish Dr. Ford the very best today. I think she is a straight talker. Possibly she will be the only one in the room who is.

I understand that the prosecutor from Arizona has an excellent reputation, so I'm hopeful that she'll do well also.

#11111 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-September-27, 08:45

PassedOut, on 2018-September-27, 07:47, said:

I understand that the prosecutor from Arizona has an excellent reputation, so I'm hopeful that she'll do well also.

Hiring her seems like the only right thing the Senate has done in this whole sordid affair.

But it's just putting on a show, so it was an easy step to take. The GOP Senators have made it very clear that they've already made up their minds how they're going to vote.

But the GOP majority is slim, it will only take a couple of them believing Dr. Ford to derail the nomination.

#11112 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 09:24

barmar, on 2018-September-27, 08:45, said:

Hiring her seems like the only right thing the Senate has done in this whole sordid affair.

But it's just putting on a show, so it was an easy step to take. The GOP Senators have made it very clear that they've already made up their minds how they're going to vote.

But the GOP majority is slim, it will only take a couple of them believing Dr. Ford to derail the nomination.

I wish the prosecutor could proceed without the interruptions.

#11113 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 09:25

barmar, on 2018-September-27, 08:45, said:

The whole thing is a farce, obviously. It should be pointed out that Kavanaugh is not on trial. This is a job interview. It happens to be for an important job. There is no presumption of innocence, 'due process' does not apply, and there is no need to prove the accusations beyond a reasonable doubt. Any company with an HR department would pass on Kavanaugh after the first allegation. Kavanaugh's life will not be "ruined" if he isn't confirmed, Lindsey Graham.

The fact that we're in this situation in the first place is a pretty clear indication how anti-American the GOP is.
OK
bed

#11114 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 09:49

I'm blown away by Ford's courage and the contrast between her determination to tell the truth and the determination of Republicans to ignore it. This will cost them dearly.

Who is the woman seated over Ford's right shoulder in the dark suit and white blouse? Talk about a rock of strength.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11115 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 11:19

PassedOut, on 2018-September-27, 07:47, said:

I'm impressed with her. The GOP has avoided the PR landmines somebody like Hatch would step on but she's all about the facts. With no dirty tricks to attack Fords credibility the GOP may well have nothing else.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11116 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-September-27, 11:44

y66, on 2018-September-27, 09:49, said:

I'm blown away by Ford's courage and the contrast between her determination to tell the truth and the determination of Republicans to ignore it. This will cost them dearly.

Who is the woman seated over Ford's right shoulder in the dark suit and white blouse? Talk about a rock of strength.

It has often been noted that courage is not lack of fear, it is the ability to go forward in spite of fear. Her fear is palpable. During the break Amy Walters (on PBS) remarked that we are seeing a normal person. Absolutely. She took the polygraph in a conference room on the way back home from her grandmother's funeral. She hadn't realized how lengthy it would be and she was really exhausted. She realizes she was probably video taped during the test but doesn't really know. The guy giving the test said a lot before starting but she was too nervous to listen carefully. She remembers crying a lot.

That's just a sample. A normal person in an abnormal situation. I have believed her from the beginning but now I cannot imagine someone watching her and thinking that it's an act. Helen Hayes could not have put on such an act.
Ken

#11117 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-September-27, 13:43

Kavanugh is coming across as possessing a really unpleasant combination of wild entitlement and emotional instability.
Alderaan delenda est

#11118 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 14:05

The word toast comes to mind. Emphatic toast?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11119 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 15:54

Based on what I've seen now, I can just imagine what Kavanaugh is like when drinking.
:(

#11120 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-September-27, 16:06

cherdano, on 2018-September-13, 08:29, said:

In a way, Kavanaugh was ahead of his time back then - he realised that this is a team sport, and the best bet for advancing his career would be to stay firmly in the "team Republican".

I stand by that post.

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

69 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 69 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook