Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Regretting a played card Law 45

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-28, 09:20

A TD in my club changed the result 3NT down one to 3NT made. In the end of the game declarer played a to my partner who had 3 good cards. After I discarded a and before he played a card from dummy he realised his mistake. TD interpreted the law that it was a "mechanical" mistake pulling the wrong card and changed the result. Can that be possible ?

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-28, 09:25

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-28, 09:20, said:

A TD in my club changed the result 3NT down one to 3NT made. In the end of the game declarer played a to my partner who had 3 good cards. After I discarded a and before he played a card from dummy he realised his mistake. TD interpreted the law that it was a "mechanical" mistake pulling the wrong card and changed the result. Can that be possible ?

Assuming no kind of handicap involved: If declarer dropped the on the table I would say "YES", if he played it I would say "NO".

#3 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-28, 09:28

View Postpran, on 2015-March-28, 09:25, said:

Assuming no kind of handicap involved: If declarer dropped the on the table I would say "YES", if he played it I would say "NO".

He didnt drop it. He was just unkoncentrated and he saw the mistake after I already had discarded a card.

#4 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-March-28, 10:13

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-28, 09:28, said:

He didnt drop it. He was just unkoncentrated and he saw the mistake after I already had discarded a card.

The facts that you had already discarded and that he had not yet played to that trick from dummy are both irrelevant.

The only important question (aside from possible handicap issues) is whether he actually played the card from his hand or accidentally just dropped it with no intent to play it.

#5 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-28, 10:20

There's no provision in the laws for declarer to correct an unintended play from his own hand.

45C2 said:

Declarer must play a card from his hand if it is
(a) held face up, touching or nearly touching the table; or
(b) maintained in such a position as to indicate that it has been played.

#6 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-March-28, 14:15

View PostAardv, on 2015-March-28, 10:20, said:

There's no provision in the laws for declarer to correct an unintended play from his own hand.

Don't overlook or forget

Law 48A said:

Declarer is not subject to restriction for exposing a card (but see Law 45C2), and no card of declarer’s or dummy’s hand ever becomes a penalty card. Declarer is not required to play any card dropped accidentally.
(My Enhancement)

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-28, 14:45

He's not.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-March-30, 06:46

If he wasn't concentrating that isn't an excuse to be allowed to change cards - it looks like he played it and intended to play it, even if it was an error.

Of course of he had then said 'Oh S**t' then the Director is perfectly correct to allow him to change it. (TIC).
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#9 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-March-30, 07:10

View Postweejonnie, on 2015-March-30, 06:46, said:

If he wasn't concentrating that isn't an excuse to be allowed to change cards - it looks like he played it and intended to play it, even if it was an error.

Of course of he had then said 'Oh S**t' then the Director is perfectly correct to allow him to change it. (TIC).

No, I don't think so.
The essential distinction is still whether he played it or dropped it.

Intention is only relevant when he exposes (rather than plays) a card. Then the important question is whether he exposed the card with an apparent intent of playing it or for some different reason.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-30, 09:44

View Postpran, on 2015-March-30, 07:10, said:

No, I don't think so.
The essential distinction is still whether he played it or dropped it.

I think weejonnie is making a reference to an infamously bad ruling in a 1999 Vanderbilt KO match.

http://www.bridgeace...Oh,%20Shit!.pdf

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 12:22

View Postbarmar, on 2015-March-30, 09:44, said:

I think weejonnie is making a reference to an infamously bad ruling in a 1999 Vanderbilt KO match.

http://www.bridgeace...Oh,%20Shit!.pdf

Of course this bears no relation to the thread topic, since the linked case was about a card designated from dummy.

It is likely the declarer did not realise that she had called for a spade until the K appeared. an interesting question is what would have happened had she called the director then and there.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users