• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responder with both minors

#1 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:33

This is how the bidding started

I am not happy with XX but did not see an alternative. 2m would have been non forcing.

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:37

Would 2 first round by East be nf?

I do play nfb which forces me to xx but otherwise this is a 2 bid
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#3 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:39

what is nfb?

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:39

negative free bid , not forcing

I've just read the rest of you post :)

West now passes and East bids 3, game forcing with diamonds, no spade support
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#5 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:49

View Postjillybean, on 2015-January-03, 09:37, said:

Would 2 first round by East be nf?

I do play nfb which forces me to xx but otherwise this is a 2 bid

I don't think that nfb's apply in this situation. They are usually used when an opp has over called in a suit, not after 1N or x

In standard, a 2/1 response after RHO has made a t.o. Double is non-forcing, but it isn't a 'negative free bid'. Indeed, most players don't play nfb's yet for most 2/1 here would be non-forcing

As for the OP, I agree that responder now bids a natural and forcing one round 3D

Btw, a lot of players use transfer responses after RHO doubles, which allows responder to bid with good and weak hands. Here, responder would have started with 2C, showing diamonds. Opener will bid as if responder had a weak hand with 6 diamonds, until responder, by doing something else, shows more.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-January-03, 09:53

Well if 3 now isn't forcing you have a big system problem. You would have no way to force in a minor (let alone 2 minors) other than cuebidding with 3 which wouldn't be good on this hand when partner bids 3N and you've lost 1 round of bidding to show your shape, having already lost 1 round cause your forced to redouble.

I would bid 3 then 5 (unless p raises ) and leave it up to partner for slam.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-January-03, 10:17

Also over double should consider using a jump shift as forcing for good distributional hands with little defense. If your using 2-bids as non-forcing could lump weak bids in there too. just a thought. :rolleyes:
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 10:41

I like the idea of forcing 3 instead fo XX. That might help to keep opps out too.
Transfers I will keep in mind for a better trained partnership. I guess any further bid by responder would show gf strength later?

View Postjillybean, on 2015-January-03, 09:39, said:

negative free bid , not forcingI've just read the rest of you post :)West now passes and East bids 3, game forcing with diamonds, no spade support

We don't play negative free bids but it is still non forcing after X. We play exactly the way Mikeh said. After 1NT and X a new suit at level 2 is non forcing.
Anayway you will not be able to bid 3 as north is going to raise hearts.

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-January-03, 09:53, said:

Well if 3 now isn't forcing you have a big system problem. You would have no way to force in a minor (let alone 2 minors) other than cuebidding with 3 which wouldn't be good on this hand.I would bid 3 then 5 (unless p raises ) and leave it up to partner for slam.

3 would have been forcing - but opps bid 3 and I had to move to level 4 with either suit or cue. Maybe better to bid immediately before passing 3 but was postponing the problem hoping my p might bid a minor. So we ended in minor game not really a success...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users