Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new minor forcing

#1 User is offline   Peridot0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-14, 19:20

My pard opens 1 H, p, I bid 1 Spade, pass, pard bids 1NT. I have 14 points and 5 spades and 4D. I bid 2D, assuming that a new suit by an unpassed hand is forcing, and my robot pard passes! How can I show 5 spades and opening values?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-14, 19:53

It's a bug. Generally new suit by unpassed hand is forcing, but NOT after 1nt (1c-1s-1nt-2h is non-forcing), except if you are playing "new minor forcing" or some other checkback mechanism, in which case a new MINOR suit would be forcing (or 2c, or both 2c/2d depending on flavor of checkback agreed). But GIB is supposed to be playing new minor forcing, so 2d ought to have been forcing here.

Perhaps it is assuming 2c is forcing, but 2d isn't? You can hover your mouse over the bids before you click them to figure out what GIB thinks it's supposed to be. In any case they should fix this.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-14, 21:13

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-14, 22:43

I don't remember GIB's bids in this sequence, but isn't 2 new minor forcing?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-15, 02:47

The lowest unbid minor is New Minor Forcing. GIB doesn't play 2-way NMF, so there's no reason for both 2 and 2 to be forcing when the opening bid was 1.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-15, 07:19

In which case GIB describing 2D as 8+ total points with no imposed upper limit is misleading. Granted that with 8 total points it might not want to force.

It is a point that I made in a thread some months ago. I favour a protocol in which every call expressly commits in its explanation to the extent to which it is or is not forcing on partner to bid. It would be implicit that if next (opponent) bids then a bid that would otherwise have been forcing no longer is so as the forcer is guaranteed another bid.

I realise that space within which to contain an explanation comes at a premium. We might assume some defaults, ie NF if silent, or GF if an earlier bid was GF and we are below game. But defaults aside, the space consumed by the courtesy of adding ST, GF, F, INV, NF, TP appended to every explanation is minimal.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users