Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diamond suit in a passed hand

#1 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-February-10, 23:06

You are dealt a moderate hand with diamond length in second seat. RHO passes, you pass, LHO passes, partner opens 1S in 4th seat.

You are playing 2/1. A weak 2D is available, but disciplined (good suit, no 4CM, etc). Not playing two-way Drury.

Where is your cutoff between ---

Responding 2D;
Responding 1NT intending to pass/correct to 2S/whatever;
Responding 1NT intending to rebid 3D over 2H/2S/2NT.

In particular, would you characterize the passed-hand 2D response as being the same strength on average as a 1NT response, on average stronger but with a lot of overlap, or as consistently stronger than 1NT?

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 11:00

I expect it's a "wonky max weak 2" - either the undisciplined ones, or the ones with outside quacks, or v.good 5-card suit (AQJ8x?) ...

I would also bid 2 if I have a hand that really really doesn't want to get passed in 1NT (2/1 here doesn't mean 1NT 100%F by passed hand, right?), but would take the blame when partner jumps to 3NT and has no play.

I don't play 2-way Drury explicitly so that I can bid 2, so when it comes up, I don't want to go through 1NT. Partner is much better placed. I'll bid 1NT when I'm happy to play at the 2 level (rather than willing).

With 1NT NF, I'm not sure if I'd ever plan to bid 1NT-and-3; what kind of hand is so sure it's better in a minor that it's worth playing at the three level, that isn't good enough for my description of 2, and is more comfortable playing 1NT than 1 of partner's real suit? Note: in my area p-1M; 1NT-2NT; 3x is still GF (yours might not be).

I wouldn't say consistently stronger, but partner with a gameish hand will be better placed knowing I have diamonds than knowing I have "something".

Oh, and finally, my primary partnership at the moment is K/S. So there are hands that everybody else in the room is opening 1 that we're passing; factor that into my thoughts.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 20:55

2d as a passed hand would be good diamonds and a max passed hand.

for me I can not really have 1nt then 3d hand as a passed hand.

fwiw I don't play wk 2d opener if that matters so I may bid 2d as a passed hand a bit more often ...

1nt then 2s would be roughly 5-7 and 2 or 3 spades.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users