BBO Discussion Forums: Gardener & Mollo's "Card Play Technique"--2013 edition? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Gardener & Mollo's "Card Play Technique"--2013 edition? Worth getting? Worth avoiding?

Poll: Gardener & Mollo's "Card Play Technique"--2013 edition? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Which version would you suggest?

1. Either! Great stuff either way. (6 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. The old! The rewrite stuffed it all up. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. The new! The language was obsolete and getting in the way for modern readers. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Neither! It's a classic, but past its day, and these days you should point people at... (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Heron 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-05, 12:15

There's a lot to love about this book. I've recommended it to people often. Now, though, I see there's a reissue of it from 2013 that has been "updated and modernized". I appreciate that the material is clear while being engagingly written, and I worry that a rework would lose some of that. (...but I also appreciate that some of the language could be obscure to the modern reader, and what's the point in a "classic" that nobody can read anymore?)

Anyone care to make a recommendation on whether it's worth seeking out and/or avoiding vs. the original edition, or if it's all good either way?

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-06, 09:06

I've not read the original, but the "update" is still very clearly written. The modernisation that I could see related to presentation of hand diagrams, etc., and possibly a couple of obsolete colloquialisms.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users