BBO Discussion Forums: IMO - One of the worst spots to be in... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IMO - One of the worst spots to be in...

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-December-08, 15:39

You arrive at a 4M contract playing MPs that you are sure almost all will be in. You have many entries to both hands and ruffs do not appear to be an issue.

Your trump suits are...

AJ87

KT96

or

AT98
KJ76

ect...

Let's say you want to try for a top or a swing in a team match. Are players most likely to finesse into the hand with the top 2 of 3? Is there a way to "play with the field" in this spot?

I have no clue, but maybe some others with more experience have noticed a field tendency here?
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-08, 16:12

You lead the Jack and see if the next player hitches or not.

#3 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-08, 16:55

Don't like your approach to the problem...

I don't care what the field is doing. I came to play bridge and try to take as many tricks as possible, not to strive for average scores. If I am not trying to out-perform my competitors on this deal, when then?

There are virtually always clues from the bidding and/or the play so far, let's analyze those instead of playing meta-game.
Michael Askgaard

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-08, 17:03

Do any posters take an imp approach even at MP and still win?

I thought I read, many years ago, that bobby Levin stated he played imp style at mP

#5 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-December-08, 21:14

RunemPard, on 2013-December-08, 15:39, said:

You arrive at a 4M contract playing MPs that you are sure almost all will be in. You have many entries to both hands and ruffs do not appear to be an issue.

<snip>

Let's say you want to try for a top or a swing in a team match. oticed a field tendency here?

So how do you want to create a swing if all are in the same contract?

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-08, 21:36

Weak players seem to usually finesse by leading to the jack. If you're in a weak field, you may produce a swing simply by finessing the other way.

Good players will try to come up with some inference from the bidding/lead. If the lead looks like shortage, it may be worth playing that person for the trump length (for example). If there is not much else to go on they may play the opening leader for the queen since without it he might've lead a trump. If you're in a strong field, you can produce a swing by doing the opposite of this (but your odds of getting the hand right will be less than 50%).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-December-09, 00:16

awm, on 2013-December-08, 21:36, said:

Weak players seem to usually finesse by leading to the jack. If you're in a weak field, you may produce a swing simply by finessing the other way.

Good players will try to come up with some inference from the bidding/lead. If the lead looks like shortage, it may be worth playing that person for the trump length (for example). If there is not much else to go on they may play the opening leader for the queen since without it he might've lead a trump. If you're in a strong field, you can produce a swing by doing the opposite of this (but your odds of getting the hand right will be less than 50%).

How about this?

Many players have their own little ways of deciding which way to finesse for a missing queen. Some play that the queen always lies over the jack; hungry players finesse toward the kitchen, romantic players finesse toward the bedroom and practical players finesse toward the bathroom.

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 04:44

On the first, I'd usually run the ten to induce a cover and finesse the other way if not covered (especially if the KT9x hand is hidden- LHO may cover with Qx to promote a possible K9x in RHOs hand). On the second, I just go with my gut in deciding which way to play, but with no information at all, I guess I play RHO for the queen since finessing the other way and losing blocks the suit.
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 07:40

mr1303, on 2013-December-08, 16:12, said:

I like this one, it works well if the ten is not in dummy.

awm, on 2013-December-08, 21:36, said:

I was also thinking that in a weak field, the finesses are more likely to go toward the jack. As for other clues, of course we look for these. But I think the point of the OP was what to do if there aren't any other clues.

Last, if you really want to swing, play to drop Qx. It's odds against but not terribly so, and will gain against the field no matter which way people are finessing.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 08:57

mfa1010, on 2013-December-08, 16:55, said:

Don't like your approach to the problem...

I don't care what the field is doing. I came to play bridge and try to take as many tricks as possible, not to strive for average scores. If I am not trying to out-perform my competitors on this deal, when then?

There are virtually always clues from the bidding and/or the play so far, let's analyze those instead of playing meta-game.

The situation I am most thinking about is when the only true info you have is that trump was not led. Some opponents in weaker fields rarely, if ever, lead a trump so this isn't always going to help. Let's also assume trying to find honors in off suits may be a very risky move and the best option is to attack trump immediately.

I have to disagree with you on the not going for some avg scores though. The biggest killer at MPs is not 40-50% boards, the killer is 0-30s. Sometimes out playing the opponents, even at MPs, is to go for the safer 50% score when you are doing well, and go for that top when you are struggling. Of course I will obviously try and use all the information I have to make good decisions, but I cannot understand if you have never been in this spot and honestly had no clue which is the winning play.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#11 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 09:00

billw55, on 2013-December-09, 07:40, said:

I like this one, it works well if the ten is not in dummy.

I was also thinking that in a weak field, the finesses are more likely to go toward the jack. As for other clues, of course we look for these. But I think the point of the OP was what to do if there aren't any other clues.

Last, if you really want to swing, play to drop Qx. It's odds against but not terribly so, and will gain against the field no matter which way people are finessing.

Assuming the opponents will play a top honor from one hand before finessing, isn't this only working one way?

#12 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 09:02

mr1303, on 2013-December-08, 16:12, said:

Depends on the opponents, but yes I didn't think of that when posting. Against opponents with a steady tempo in most situations this will just confuse me even more sometimes! :P

When I notice I got Qxx with a finesse behind me, I keep this in my mind throughout the hand and hold a good tempo as to not give any clues when they do try though.

#13 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 09:04

32519, on 2013-December-08, 21:14, said:

So how do you want to create a swing if all are in the same contract?

I would like to nominate this for post of the year.

#14 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 09:20

Technically, if you have no idea leading to the Jack is the best way in a weak field (conversely, with 11 cards finessing for the King is also the best way in a weak field).

Barry Crane, who is considered the greatest MP player of all time, had a superstitious rule for this. Kerri Sanborn, his favorite partner, wrote this:

"When you are looking for a queen or jack, it is over the jack or ten in the minors.

KT9
AJx - play LHO for Q

KT9
Qxx - play RHO for J

In the majors this is reversed. This does not take precedence to knowledge of where length is.** It applies only in guessing situations. "

**Grant Baze disagreed on this point when playing with Barry Crane. He once had a two-way guess in Clubs in 7NT, and after finding out the exact distribution, finessed the person with 3 Clubs for the Queen (that opponent happened to lie UNDER the Jack, not over). When it went wrong, Barry went ballistic, chucked the next few boards, and then blamed Baze when they finished 2nd by half a MP.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 10:21

chasetb, on 2013-December-09, 09:20, said:

**Grant Baze disagreed on this point when playing with Barry Crane. He once had a two-way guess in Clubs in 7NT, and after finding out the exact distribution, finessed the person with 3 Clubs for the Queen (that opponent happened to lie UNDER the Jack, not over). When it went wrong, Barry went ballistic, chucked the next few boards, and then blamed Baze when they finished 2nd by half a MP.

I have read many stories like this. I wonder what he would have accomplished if he hadn't gone on tilt so often. I also wonder how he kept partners, or got new ones.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 10:26

RunemPard, on 2013-December-09, 09:00, said:

Assuming the opponents will play a top honor from one hand before finessing, isn't this only working one way?

hmm .. if I drop Qx, I gain against declarers who hook into Qx, and tie those who hook the other way, regardless of cashing an honor first. So either way, I expect to get ave+ in a field that hooks both ways.
-gwnn

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 11:56

32519, on 2013-December-09, 00:16, said:

Many players have their own little ways of deciding which way to finesse for a missing queen. Some play that the queen always lies over the jack; hungry players finesse toward the kitchen, romantic players finesse toward the bedroom and practical players finesse toward the bathroom.
Nah, you finesse against the player who will give you the most satisfaction if it works.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-09, 12:15

billw55, on 2013-December-09, 10:21, said:

I also wonder how he kept partners, or got new ones.

Despite his quirks, he won lots of events.

#19 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 12:28

RunemPard, on 2013-December-09, 08:57, said:

The situation I am most thinking about is when the only true info you have is that trump was not led. Some opponents in weaker fields rarely, if ever, lead a trump so this isn't always going to help. Let's also assume trying to find honors in off suits may be a very risky move and the best option is to attack trump immediately.

I have to disagree with you on the not going for some avg scores though. The biggest killer at MPs is not 40-50% boards, the killer is 0-30s. Sometimes out playing the opponents, even at MPs, is to go for the safer 50% score when you are doing well, and go for that top when you are struggling. Of course I will obviously try and use all the information I have to make good decisions, but I cannot understand if you have never been in this spot and honestly had no clue which is the winning play.

You can have your philosophy, obviously, but I stated mine. I would never try to estimate how the field will be guessing. It is imo taking the eye off the ball.
If I have a 51-49 proposition, I'll go with the 51. But it is a rare board where it is impossible to deduce better odds than that. We already talked about the non-trump lead. Another common theme is handling issues with trumps 4-1.
Michael Askgaard

#20 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 12:38

mycroft, on 2013-December-09, 11:56, said:

Nah, you finesse against the player who will give you the most satisfaction if it works.

Finesse toward your spouse and through your ex-spouse.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users