BBO Discussion Forums: Bid after Pass out of Turn - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid after Pass out of Turn

Poll: Bid after Pass out of Turn (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your bid?

1. 1S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 4S (19 votes [86.36%])

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

3. 5S (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. 6S (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-27, 14:07

Your bid, but see below

RHO opens 1, and while you are thinking about what to do partner passes! Director informs you that partner has to pass for the rest of the auction.

What do you do now?

(As an aside, what exactly am I authorised to know about p's hand, and when am I allowed to know it?)

Sorry about multiple questions and sorry if wrong forum.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 14:41

If partner were barred for some other reason...I.E., I didn't have the UI about his pass, 6 would be a L.A., as would 4S, IMO. I have the AI that RHO has values, but I would need an entry or two over there to take advantage of that (finesses); so I might well choose 4S.

In other words I am not convinced 6 is the lesser suggested action from the POOT. But, I know it cannot be ruled to demonstrably have been suggested. Gonna choose it.

I might get an adverse ruling if I bid 4S, but I wouldn't give such a ruling as TD.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-November-27, 22:49

From the AI, LHO and CHO probably have at most about 13 HCP combined, so partner doesn't rate to have much more than 7. The chance that these 7 points include the A or K seems pretty remote. So I don't think 6 is a LA, and I can be allowed to bid 4.

#4 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 23:03

How about pass? I'll bet they don't play in 1C and I may have a better chance of hearing what I need.

Not sure if I'd do this at the table, but it seems worthy of consideration.

#5 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-November-28, 01:14

Very interesting post you made here. Can you post all four hands? I would love to see what the actual layout was.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-28, 02:55

View Postsfi, on 2013-November-27, 23:03, said:

How about pass? I'll bet they don't play in 1C and I may have a better chance of hearing what I need.

Not sure if I'd do this at the table, but it seems worthy of consideration.

Depends if you can do this smoothly, otherwise you're very likely to be on lead

#7 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-28, 05:05

I note that the TD forgot to tell you you can't double (not that you'd want to).

I don't think pass is legal, since the UI (that partner is weak so South is more likely to have responding values) makes it more likely to be successful. I agree with Barmar about 4 vs 6.

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-November-28, 14:46

Pass is a tactical choice:
- you'll gather information to decide between 4 and 6
- you'll gather information about opponents' distributions, which might be useful when declaring the hand

Passing is definitely legal. Hell, you can even bid some number of s if you want to fool around.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-29, 02:49

Free, say your partner had bid 1NT. Now you can pretty sure that a pass from you would result in a contract of 1 and a missed game or slam. That partner's COOT was actually a pass suggests that pass has a better chance of succeeding. That (16D2) is why campboy believes pass is not a legal possibility.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-November-29, 03:26

In this case, you don't know what was in partner's mind when he passed, whether he thought he was opening the bidding, whether he thought he was passing over opps 1, or whether he was passing over your 1. The chance of him opening the bidding would be pretty small, depending on your overcalling style, the chance of him overcalling might be quite small (and he might even have a decent hand with clubs), so I don't think it tells you very much.

I think you have a free choice of 4/6/pass but pass is just bad not illegal, 10 is all you need for game.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 10:01

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2013-November-29, 11:34

We would bid 4.
But as I said in the past, we are Lurpoa.
Bob Herreman

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 13:37

View PostLurpoa, on 2013-November-29, 11:34, said:

We would bid 4.
But as I said in the past, we are Lurpoa.

Are you telling us there are more than 1 Lurpoa ? I had so many nightmares started just like that....Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-November-30, 01:55

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-November-29, 02:49, said:

Free, say your partner had bid 1NT. Now you can pretty sure that a pass from you would result in a contract of 1 and a missed game or slam. That partner's COOT was actually a pass suggests that pass has a better chance of succeeding. That (16D2) is why campboy believes pass is not a legal possibility.

Passing out of turn isn't the same as bidding out of turn, they're handled differently, so comparing them is quite impossible.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#15 User is offline   Lorne50 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-05, 06:42

4 for me.

6 is less that 50% to make so I do not see why I should be forced to bid it and the UI does not help much as you know from the bidding partner is very likely to be weak anyway, and you only want to be in slam if he has the K or A (I know you might make with other holding but spades is the only suit likely to come in with one finesse).

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-December-05, 11:30

View Postbroze, on 2013-November-27, 14:07, said:

RHO opens 1, and while you are thinking about what to do partner passes! Director informs you that partner has to pass for the rest of the auction.
What do you do now?
(As an aside, what exactly am I authorised to know about p's hand, and when am I allowed to know it?)
Sorry about multiple questions and sorry if wrong forum.

View PostLurpoa, on 2013-November-29, 11:34, said:

We would bid 4. But as I said in the past, we are Lurpoa.
We too are Lurpoa :) 4 = 10, 6 = 5, Pass = 0
The question about what you are allowed to know about partner's pass is intriguing because, assuming that 4 and 6 are logical alternatives, then knowledge that partner lacks opening values would suggest the former over the latter.
I'm unsure whether pass is legal because it's a kind of psych that may con opponents into helping you without any risk that partner will act on a wrong inference.

#17 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 11:02

View Post32519, on 2013-November-28, 01:14, said:

Very interesting post you made here. Can you post all four hands? I would love to see what the actual layout was.

Full deal:

'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#18 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-17, 11:17

Passing has to be a lawful alternative. I cannot imagine that partner being forced to pass throughout is itself UI. When you have a strange situation like that, passing to get info from the opponents seems like a very good tactic.

Actually, it is kind of funny. If you pass, South probably bids 1, and then North has to be tricky to avoid telling you about the likely heart fit. Your auction might well be Pass...6!

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users