BBO Discussion Forums: Post mortem analysis of bidding based on how the cards happened to lie - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Post mortem analysis of bidding based on how the cards happened to lie

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-09, 08:00

Well, obviously you take the A, to the K, back, run the diamonds while the defense discard all their hearts and the A, and you're home free. Making seven. :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-10, 15:56

View Postlowerline, on 2013-October-07, 08:44, said:

Example:

I opened a 15-17 1nt with AxT9xK9xAQJxx. Partner responded Stayman and over my 2 response he bid 4nt with QxAKQxQxKTxxx. Down one on a spade lead.

Post-mortem: Partner blamed me for opening 1nt with only 14. I blamed him for not bidding 3 over 2 so we would have reached 6 (that wins played in his hand). Who is resulting here?

Steven

I don't like 1nt one bit. But I agree, he might as well offer clubs. I'm not a fan of the "we have to play 6nt or nothing" mentality. 6 is nothing special, but it has some play.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#23 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-14, 07:33

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-October-08, 04:49, said:

I agree it is reasonable to treat this hand as closer to 15 than 14, and I wasn't trying to get at OP in particular. But I do think there is a risk of inadequate disclosure from some people who claim to be playing 15-17 but are actually more or less playing 14-17. What about this one K105A632A54K103 that was opened 1N (1st in hand, imps, both vul)) by a pair claiming to play 15-17 with no disclosure of possible upgrades other than, implicitly, GBK?

I consider this an above average 14, but not good enough to open it 1nt. I don't have rules for opening 1nt on 14, but looking back, I think I always had a good 5crd suit. I also upgrade some 17 counts (opening 1m and rebidding 2nt). There are so many situations where judgement is applied... What is there to disclose? Should I put on my CC I have other ways to evaluate my hand than counting points?

Steven

#24 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-14, 07:47

View Postlowerline, on 2013-October-14, 07:33, said:

I consider this an above average 14, but not good enough to open it 1nt. I don't have rules for opening 1nt on 14, but looking back, I think I always had a good 5crd suit. I also upgrade some 17 counts (opening 1m and rebidding 2nt). There are so many situations where judgement is applied... What is there to disclose? Should I put on my CC I have other ways to evaluate my hand than counting points?

Indeed. I like to count my points something like 4.5 - 3 - 1.5 - 0.75, so my evaluation doesn't always correlate with Walrus points. So far no one's made a stink about any small discrepancies, but it may be just a matter of time before someone tells me I have to disclose that I downgrade hands full of quacks. :blink:
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users