BBO Discussion Forums: Partner make 1 slam try and stop. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partner make 1 slam try and stop. 1d-1H-4H

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-17, 02:28

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-August-17, 00:56, said:

This "artifical method" is forced on you by the lack of bidding room. Other methods are not possible.

That's not true. There are two possible ways to treat this sequence:
(1) The auction is solely a discussion of controls. We always get to slam when the controls are sufficient, and we always stay out of slam when the controls are deficient.
(2) The auction is a discussion of controls and suitability. We stay out of slam when the controls are sufficient but neither partner has enough to insist on slam. We occasionally reach slam when the controls are deficient but one partner has enough to insist on slam.

I understand why you prefer the certainty of (1) to the ambiguity of (2), but in this sequence where both hands can have a wide range of shapes it seems better to be playing (2).
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 12:14

View Postgnasher, on 2013-August-17, 02:28, said:

That's not true. There are two possible ways to treat this sequence:
(1) The auction is solely a discussion of controls. We always get to slam when the controls are sufficient, and we always stay out of slam when the controls are deficient.
(2) The auction is a discussion of controls and suitability. We stay out of slam when the controls are sufficient but neither partner has enough to insist on slam. We occasionally reach slam when the controls are deficient but one partner has enough to insist on slam.

I understand why you prefer the certainty of (1) to the ambiguity of (2), but in this sequence where both hands can have a wide range of shapes it seems better to be playing (2).

I fully agree with your whole post, except for the last sentence (and the first ;)). Opener has accurately limited his hand in strength and distribution (18-19 hcp 2=4=4=3, 3=4=4=2, 4=4=3=2 or 2=4=5=2). That makes it clear that responder has decided to go to slam... unless there is a problem with the controls. Suitability doesn't come into play because responder has already decided that the hands were suitable for slam.

When both hands are unlimited then suitability should also be investigated (your approach 2). In an uncontested auction it should not be necessary to start doing that at the five level, though.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-August-17, 16:00

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-August-17, 12:14, said:

I fully agree with your whole post, except for the last sentence (and the first ;)). Opener has accurately limited his hand in strength and distribution (18-19 hcp 2=4=4=3, 3=4=4=2, 4=4=3=2 or 2=4=5=2). That makes it clear that responder has decided to go to slam... unless there is a problem with the controls. Suitability doesn't come into play because responder has already decided that the hands were suitable for slam.

When both hands are unlimited then suitability should also be investigated (your approach 2).

I agree that he's accurately defined his distribution, but that doesn't help much when you're investigating slam (or anything else, in fact). What would help would be if he had precisely defined his distribution. A definition that varies from "4=4=3=2 and worth game" to "2=4=5=2 and worth game" isn't precise enough for investigating slam.

In an uncontested auction it should not be necessary to start doing that at the five level, though.

Obviously the methods are poor, but we should still try to answer the question that was asked.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#24 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 16:22

Rik - the number of hands lacking a control in two suits, where you can insist on slam if partner has a control in each of them, but can't use RKCB, seems very small. Much smaller than the number of hands that want to make some sort of invite.
(I could argue that any bid by responder has to be a natural (or otherwise shape-defining) slam try, and that no other method is possible. But I won't.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#25 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-August-17, 19:15

View PostFree, on 2013-August-15, 09:22, said:

Passing is beyond my comprehension. Partner needs a control and perhaps one in as well, we have both Aces.

I agree with Free; I cannot conceive of passing on this hand. Mike, rkcb is NOT a panacea for all bidding ills.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-18, 12:57

partner could bid 5, and since we hold A we would know he has a diamond void. When the reason you bypass 4NT is that you have a void I rather show it than show other control, it is not perfect (nothing is) but IMO is best.

#27 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-August-19, 10:06

partner could bid 5♦, and since we hold ♥A we would know he has a diamond void. When the reason you bypass 4NT is that you have a void I rather show it than show other control, it is not perfect (nothing is) but IMO is best.
I tend to agree with this. IMO if you have a void and have a way to show it many times its the best bid you can do.

Anyway the problem & solution is essentially the same after 5D (showing a void) you either soff in 5H or make a pick a slam 5Nt. Just jumping to 6H is not goood enough.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#28 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-20, 13:47

My preference in these situation is to just treat any bid above RKC as exclusion (unless impossible on the auction). Nothing is perfect but if I'm not willing to RKC then it's frequently because I have a void anyway, so I'd rather just formalize the responses and eliminate the guessing.

"So what do you do with xx in a side suit?" If the auction is this high and no one has bid the suit, I key card and live with it. If you're missing, say, AK of clubs and A of hearts, and you choose to cue bid instead of RKC, how do you know that you won't reach slam opposite a club control and be off two aces? You can't protect against both and the defense might miss the AK of clubs, but never 2 aces. And bidding 7 (obviously not on this hand but another) will be damn near impossible without key card.

"What if RKC won't tell you what you need to know?" If I have lots of key cards and just need "stuff" 5 of the major should send that message.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#29 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 20:34

View Postmike777, on 2013-August-14, 23:03, said:

I beg of you partner please stop with these 5 level cuebids or 4 level above kickback, over and over and over again....lets just play rkc, kickback.

You forgot Gerber ...

#30 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-August-21, 07:04

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-August-17, 00:56, said:

This "artifical method" is forced on you by the lack of bidding room. Other methods are not possible.

One alternative method that certainly is available and clears up many of these cases is to use denial cue bids. Instead of bidding a suit where you have control, you instead bid the suit where you lack a control (or need to know about a specific control and can place the contract or otherwise take control once you find that out). This elimates the requirement for LTTC and is imho much simpler to play for intermediates without detailed agreements.

Incidentally, it is indeed obvious that 5 shows a spade control but a matter of agreement as to whether it also shows a diamond control. Of course, the real solution to this would be finding out about the heart fit and extras at the 3 level. That ought to be easy if South opens a strong 1 or even a nebulous 1 with transfer responses.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users