Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

neat Spingold hand

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-13, 08:02

This was against Kasle and Kozlove in the round of 32, I thought it was a neat hand. Anyway, leading 4th best, Kasle tables the 7.

First trick goes low, A, low. 8 is returned to the 5, 9, & Q.

You decide to go after clubs by playing low to the ace, with the Q popping on your left. A small club next fetches a diamond pitch, the T of clubs, and the J. A third club is returned to your K, and another low diamond is pitched by Kasle.

How do you play it now?
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-13, 09:59

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-August-13, 08:02, said:

This was against Kasle and Kozlove in the round of 32, I thought it was a neat hand. Anyway, leading 4th best, Kasle tables the 7.

First trick goes low, A, low. 8 is returned to the 5, 9, & Q.

You decide to go after clubs by playing low to the ace, with the Q popping on your left. A small club next fetches a diamond pitch, the T of clubs, and the J. A third club is returned to your K, and another low diamond is pitched by Kasle.

How do you play it now?

Not in your class, but I'll give it a try before work. LHO is prob 4-4-4-1, and RHO 2-2-4-5. LHO didn't lead a spade, and did lead from KJ97, so probably doesn't have JT8x of spades. I've lost two tricks already (a club and a heart), so if I exit a heart right now, LHO if he cashes both hearts will squeeze his partner out of a club and a diamond, leaving RHO with the last minor guards. I pitch a spade from hand on the 4th heart, and then on the run of three spades RHO is squeezed out of one minor or the other.

When I play this way, however, it turns out LHO lead from an original 97 of hearts, and my count is all wrong. Then when I try to recalibrate mid hand, the wheels come flying off. :) I'll let the experts have the floor now.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 10:28

I would be pretty sure West started with KJxx and agree 4-4-4-1 is a likely distribution. I would exit a club. If east cashes both clubs winners, west will be squeezed in the majors. If east switches after winning the club, win the return in hand and cash the top diamonds. You should have a delayed duck squeeze as west would have to keep 2 high hearts to prevent you from just ducking a heart, so will have to pitch a spade setting up your spades.

Exiting a heart and playing for a minor suit squeeze can be beat with a diamond shift because you can't rectify the count and maintain your squeeze entries.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-August-13, 10:28

I have eight top tricks, they have won two. I can either lead a club and let East consider if he wants to squeeze west, or I can return a heart and let west decide if he wants to squeeze East. Since East has the longer suit (5 clubs opposite a stiff, compared to 4 hearts opposite a doubleton), I return a club. The idea is west will have to keep two hearts and presumably four spades (his diamond pitches suggest he will not stop them). I think West is 4-4-4-1. If West is 3=4=5=1 I have no trouble anyway (4S, 1H, 2D, 2C), so the squeeze is useful. In case East doesn't cash the last club, I think I have to keep three spades in dummy so I pitch a diamond.

Nice hand.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 10:52

You guys really give the details. My line was "duck a club and hope something good happens".
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-13, 11:07

Nice. In real play there were two differences - I covered the heart with the T, and Kasle pitched a spade and a diamond, not two diamonds, so there was no need for fanciness, but I had it planned if a spade wasn't discarded....

Oh, and I call BS on Brian with his "not in your class" comment.
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-August-13, 11:18

I thought about this for a bit this morning. If you exit a club to east and he exits a diamond, aren't you cooked? You'll need to cash the diamonds to squeeze west, but can't he keep 4=1=0=0? Then you can throw him in with a heart, and he's pretty much toast (unless he exits the 8 from J8xx?) but you can't get back to hand to cash the 4th spade. Think Jxxx / Tx, and west exits a low spade, east playing a high spade. You can hook west for the other high spade, but now you're pinned in dummy.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#8 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 11:31

View Postwyman, on 2013-August-13, 11:18, said:

I thought about this for a bit this morning. If you exit a club to east and he exits a diamond, aren't you cooked? You'll need to cash the diamonds to squeeze west, but can't he keep 4=1=0=0? Then you can throw him in with a heart, and he's pretty much toast (unless he exits the 8 from J8xx?) but you can't get back to hand to cash the 4th spade. Think Jxxx / Tx, and west exits a low spade, east playing a high spade. You can hook west for the other high spade, but now you're pinned in dummy.

When you throw him in with a heart you establish the long heart in dummy as the ninth trick.

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-August-13, 11:36

View Postquiddity, on 2013-August-13, 11:31, said:

When you throw him in with a heart you establish the long heart in dummy as the ninth trick.

Apparently I didn't think about it hard enough this morning Posted Image
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#10 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 11:39

What was the 7 lead anyway, was he just messing around? If he leads 4th best and then wins the king on the second round and then squashes the T can you still make the hand?

edit - sorry, KJ97, i'm still asleep too. But can you make the hand if he wins the king?

#11 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 12:18

View Postquiddity, on 2013-August-13, 11:39, said:

What was the 7 lead anyway, was he just messing around? If he leads 4th best and then wins the king on the second round and then squashes the T can you still make the hand?

edit - sorry, KJ97, i'm still asleep too. But can you make the hand if he wins the king?

I think so but you have to duck 2 clubs to set up the major suit squeeze against LHO. If after winning the heart K LHO switches to a diamond and then RHO plays a diamond when in on the second round of clubs you have to duck that diamond now in lieu of ducking a 2nd club. I think you're okay now, even if LHO overtakes and squashes the heart ten.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#12 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 12:18

double post
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#13 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 13:22

View Postkayin801, on 2013-August-13, 12:18, said:

I think so but you have to duck 2 clubs to set up the major suit squeeze against LHO. If after winning the heart K LHO switches to a diamond and then RHO plays a diamond when in on the second round of clubs you have to duck that diamond now in lieu of ducking a 2nd club. I think you're okay now, even if LHO overtakes and squashes the heart ten.

You can't afford to have west win the diamond and with your spots, you can't really control the play. Since you've already lost 2 hearts and a club, west can win the diamond and cash the winning heart for down 1. Just win the diamond in hand and duck another club to rectify the count for a possible major suit squeeze against west..

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-14, 12:16

It's a common theme on suicide squeeze hands that if they don't cash the last winner, you can either strip squeeze LHO or sqz them without the count like here. In books ofc not cashing always breaks it up :P

#15 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-August-14, 12:44

View Postquiddity, on 2013-August-13, 11:39, said:

Before we deal with your suggested line, let's cover the actual line.

If East cashes all his club winners, you have a simpe major suit squeeze on West. If East wins the club and switches, you have what Clyde Love called a CLE squeeze with two losers. (Companion, Lead, Entry). When you cash the top two diamonds, West has to A) give up the spade quard, or B) discard a heart. If he throws a spade, you cash your nine tricks. If he discards a heart, you duck a heart while having the spade king as an entry to the extablished heart (which is why I threw a diamond in my response, in case East exits a spade, you need three spades in dummy or you have bungled your entries).

Now to the proposed defense you suggest. West jumps up with the King of hearts and exits the Jack of hearts smothering the Ten. Now you have lost two hearts, you can go ahead and duck a club like before and if East continues clubs the simple squeeze works. But if he switches there is more problems. The best chance if spades are not 3-3 is that West has four spades to the JT and East has the spade eight. Now you have a strip squeeze on West, who has to keep all his spades and the heart.

So when you eventually play a spade up to dummy, West has to split (win in dummy). Cash two diamonds ending in dummy and throw West in the heart. If all goes well he will have Jxx of spades. If he leads low you win the nine. If he leads high, you win the Queen unblocking the nine. Winning and continuing hearts as you suggest is the best defense, but perhaps it doesn't save the hand.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users