• You cannot reply to this topic

Critical Decision

#21 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-17, 05:20

View Postlamford, on 2013-August-16, 14:25, said:

http://bridgewinners...ter-regulation/
gives the full hand on page 3. You may have to hit 'refresh' to view it; not sure why that is on my browser. But stop off to read David Burn's analysis of the hand on page 1 before using the arrows to get to page 3.

#22 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 04:36

View Postlamford, on 2013-August-16, 14:25, said:

http://bridgewinners...ter-regulation/
gives the full hand on page 3. You may have to hit 'refresh' to view it; not sure why that is on my browser. But stop off to read David Burn's analysis of the hand on page 1 before using the arrows to get to page 3.

#23 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 04:59

Thanks for the Link, Google failed me. The hand reminded me of one I kibitzed 40 years ago at a Camrose international and was similar to one aguahombre shows on his web site. Kirby held AKxxx clubs and stiff diamond A. Against 4S, partner led the CJ, the young Scottish declarer, holding a small doubleton C in hand, covered with dummy's Q and Kirby won. To me, even as a beginner at bridge, the defence was obvious. win cash DA and put partner in with CT for a diamond ruff. I was astonished when Kirby took at least 5 minutes to make the play. A few moments later, declarer was putting his cards back in the board with an apology to partner. It was only later that I realised why. West had no other entry than CT, and the contract could be made trivially by not covering the CQ. Presumably Kirby was thinking if there were alternative defences or possibly whether the cover was part of a cunning plan. My point being that covering with the Q in this situation is not automatically correct.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users