BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding problem against Rosenthal - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding problem against Rosenthal

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-15, 08:58

This is the first set against Rosenthal (on your left) and Silverstein (RHO). Partner's 3 bid can be wide-ranging opposite a passed hand at this vulnerability.

Do you run?

If you do run, how do you plan on doing so?

Your partnership will be strong enough to figure out "bridge logic", but has never discussed runouts in these situations.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 09:07

redouble, gives partner the room to let me chose if he has 2-2 in the majors.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-15, 09:41

I'm not inclined to run. Partner might have a reasonable hand, after all. If I were to run, I would run to 3d, and if that was hit back to me, I'd run to 3h, hoping partner would correct to 3s holding 3. I'm worried I'm throwing another 300 on the pile by running on average, or unless we guess well at best. Probably I'm gin for 4s and instead going off 800 nv in 3cx. :)
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#4 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 10:14

I think it should be that bidding 3 now, then running from the next double to 3 shows better hearts than spades, and running to 3 now, then redoubling shows better spades than hearts. But I'm also sure I'm not breaking this out undiscussed in a Spingold match. If I had discussed it I'd definitely run.

#5 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 14:41

I am inclined to run on the theory that the 3 bidder only has 6 (and that they won't yield many tricks).

Given the spots, a direct 3 might be able to scramble to 5 tricks. If pard is 0=3=4=6, XX hits the jackpot. However, given that (21)46 is more likely, hopefully the 6-1 fit will play better even if partner is 1=2=4=6. In that case, pard might have an useful filler like J.

In the very improbable 2=2=3=6 or highly improbable 1=1=5=6 it's a wash and if partner was (21)37 or 1=1=4=7, we already made the wrong choice.
foobar on BBO

#6 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-August-15, 16:43

No way I would have passed the first turn to bid.
Favorable, bid 1 like a man. Open 2 if
you have no stomach for 1.

Now that you passed as opener, pass again.
You had your chance, now live with it.

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 17:14

View Postjogs, on 2013-August-15, 16:43, said:

No way I would have passed the first turn to bid.
Favorable, bid 1 like a man. Open 2 if
you have no stomach for 1.

Now that you passed as opener, pass again.
You had your chance, now live with it.

We open light and preempt aggressively (this is a precision partnership), but even so I think your suggestion is a joke 2nd seat. Why rush when we have majors? Why preempt spades when we have a great hand for hearts and an unpassed partner? At that point you are just being random, in my opinion, and if I were to try it out, it would be anti-partnership.
Chris Gibson

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 18:30

I'll gamble 3 followed by redouble. It sounds like pard is going to get stuck in with spanners in this position, so I will come to the rescue.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 18:36

If you decide to run, redouble is obvious imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 18:43

It'd be nice to make a distinction between a direct Redouble versus bidding 3, get doubled and redouble that. If your partner can ask why you went thru 3, he might conclude that you have longer .
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#11 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-16, 04:53

Not so clear that bidding will be right, although I suspect it may. Maybe my partner will run when he sees my face turning green.

#12 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-16, 10:20

At the table I decided to run. Because I didn't want a disaster with XX's, my method was the two-step method of bidding 3 first, and then, when Rosenthal offered an opinion about the success of that contract, correcting to 3, over which Rosenthal bid 3N, partner 4, and Silverstein offering a double, which ended the auction.

I caught
, and it turned out that clubs were 5-1 (Rosenthal was 3=1=8=1, not the shape I'd put him on for the reopening double, but hey, whatever). Teammates brought back a red 3N making 5, we went down 1 in 4 hit for 100.
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users