BBO Discussion Forums: Defence Signals - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defence Signals Is random discarding allowed?

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-11, 06:22

"I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean". If they can't or won't explain so you do understand, call the director.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-11, 06:46

View Postsasioc, on 2013-April-11, 06:12, said:

Some players use this to mean "we throw the suit we don't want (partner to lead)". I think it's pretty ambiguous, even if you don't, which suggests that it is not a helpful explanation to give to at least some opponents. I have seen players give this explanation and found them to be playing rev att discards or similar plenty of times and think they have disclosed this.

I am skeptical that a pair playing reverse attitude discards is unable to correctly disclose it. I would tend to suspect deliberate concealment. Can't be proven of course.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-11, 08:06

Maybe I'm overly naive and trusting, but I think they're just the "life novices" that someone mentioned, who don't know how to send or read signals 90% of the time. Once in a blue moon they might play an 8 or 9, hoping their partner will notice the obvious signal (playing reverse attitude would be out of the question for this class of player).

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-11, 10:29

Bill, this isn't "reverse attitude", it's "Lavinthal without the suit preference". It doesn't matter if it's the 2 or the 9, if they pitch a card in that suit, it's a suit they don't want led.

I've seen this discarding system as well, and the people that play it can't understand why their opponents have so much trouble understanding "we throw what we don't want". I'll let you figure out why.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-11, 11:21

View Postmycroft, on 2013-April-11, 10:29, said:

Bill, this isn't "reverse attitude", it's "Lavinthal without the suit preference". It doesn't matter if it's the 2 or the 9, if they pitch a card in that suit, it's a suit they don't want led.

I've seen this discarding system as well, and the people that play it can't understand why their opponents have so much trouble understanding "we throw what we don't want". I'll let you figure out why.

aha ok, I see what you are saying. Is that what sasioc meant? Rereading her post that I quoted, I'm still not sure.
-gwnn

#26 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-April-11, 11:28

View Postbillw55, on 2013-April-11, 11:21, said:

... Is that what sasioc meant? Rereading his post that I quoted, ...

sasioc is not a he.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#27 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-11, 11:31

View PostRMB1, on 2013-April-11, 11:28, said:

sasioc is not a he.

oops! Fixed.
-gwnn

#28 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-11, 11:34

There are two reasonable interpretations of "We throw what we don't want":

- We throw cards that we think we won't need later in the play.

- We throw cards from the suit that we don't want partner to lead.

And apparently one unreasonable one:

- We play high-low in the suit that we don't want partner to lead.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#29 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-April-19, 08:45

View Postbarmar, on 2013-April-02, 09:25, said:

Although they probably just play the lowest card when it doesn't matter -- does that count as a "carding agreement"?

Yes.

View Postbillw55, on 2013-April-10, 06:45, said:

I thought this is just playing bridge. Encrypted? illegal? Yikes, I hope not.

If you agree to do it then it is probably encrypted and thus illegal. But if you just do it because it seems sensible you have no agreement to play encrypted signals just using common sense.

As for Robin and his method of fooling partner who has the hand making all the decisions I find it difficult to think of a suitable term .... :) :D

View Postbillw55, on 2013-April-11, 06:46, said:

I am skeptical that a pair playing reverse attitude discards is unable to correctly disclose it. I would tend to suspect deliberate concealment. Can't be proven of course.

You remind me of a growing abuse in the EBU. recently I have had a lot of people, when asked what signals they play, say "Count". If you check up you will find it is reverse count [UDCA for colonists]. My view of the nasty little beasts who do this is not publishable, but the number seems to be growing.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#30 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-April-19, 09:16

View Postbluejak, on 2013-April-19, 08:45, said:

As for Robin and his method of fooling partner who has the hand making all the decisions I find it difficult to think of a suitable term ....

It wasn't a signalling method - partner had expressed the opinion that we might play suit preference when obvious when following suit, but otherwise he did not expect to signal on declarer's lead.

It wasn't even an agreement as to how to play when following suit - but it could have become an implicit one.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#31 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 03:23

You remind me of a growing abuse in the EBU. recently I have had a lot of people, when asked what signals they play, say "Count". If you check up you will find it is reverse count [UDCA for colonists]. My view of the nasty little beasts who do this is not publishable, but the number seems to be growing.

I have seen this, too. I assume you would be happy to rule MI if no further clarification was forthcoming other than "count", and declarer thereafter got a decision wrong by assuming this meant "standard count" rather than reverse count. Would you also consider a PP? - it seems to me pretty inconceivable most of the time that people are doing this by accident....

Would you consider going further, and issuing a PP every time this happened even if declarer's play was unaffected in the end? I have sometimes considered reporting this "explanation" to a TD even when I have remembered to follow up and check which way round they show count, but have never done so yet.

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 08:39

You issue procedural penalties for violations of procedure. Whether an opponent's actions were influenced by the violation is irrelevant.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#33 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 10:25

The first time I hear this from a pair, I issue a warning, and an adjustment if appropriate.
The second time I hear this from a pair, I issue a penalty, and an adjustment if appropriate. If I have time, I'll go back through the previous rounds in this session and see if they have done this same misinformation at those tables, and issue the PP for each such case.

Once you know that this is very likely to mislead, continuing to do it implies intent to mislead.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#34 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-April-22, 22:44

View Postzasanya, on 2013-April-01, 03:09, said:

A pair I know to be ethical has the following signalling system. "If we expect partner to win the trick or when we are sure partner will win the trick we play revolving discards. However if we expect declarer to win the trick or when we are sure declarer will win the trick our discard has no significance." Is this legal?
IMO, the pair need to disclose a little more:
  • When they play "random" cards, they risk, later, having no suitable card for a "revolving discard" but
  • If they take care to keep a suitable "revolving disard", then earlier supposedly "random" cards aren't "random".
  • If early on, they can keep only one discard in a suit, and have no other cards to spare, what do they do when unsure who wlll win a later trick.

#35 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-April-22, 23:21

If you agree to do it then it is probably encrypted and thus illegal. But if you just do it because it seems sensible you have no agreement to play encrypted signals just using common sense.

Except of course after you have both done it a few times, you have an implicit agreement to play encrypted signals, and thus an illegal agreement.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users