BBO Discussion Forums: One way or another... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One way or another...

Poll: where to? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

how do you tavkle hearts?

1. Ace first, finese against West (18 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Ace first, play for the drop (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. King first, finese against East (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:29

Opps play std carding if it matters, lead rushinow.

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:43

Interesting. The more clubs west has, the fewer empty spaces he has, but also the more likely he would be to preempt without side values.

I suppose I have little to lose by playing the KA first. Once in a while the queen will drop which might tell me something. In the likely case that I learn nothing, I suppose I will try J from dummy; if no cover or hitch, then ace and hook west.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:48

Are you one of those who play the 10, see the 9 on LHO's hands and still finese against the queen in caso LHO was trying to fool you?

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 10:00

View PostFluffy, on 2013-March-13, 09:48, said:

Are you one of those who play the 10, see the 9 on LHO's hands and still finese against the queen in caso LHO was trying to fool you?

Depends on my LHO. I myself will sometimes play the 9 in such a situation, so I must at least consider it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 10:47

6C is a highly unusual bid in this sequence. I guess they could be 2227 (I don't think East would be bidding 6C with 2236), but I'd guess 2137 or 2146 are more likely. I'm finessing against West.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-March-13, 10:51

W rates to have less clubs and more hcp than E, so I'm playing him for the queen. This is not a scientific argument.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 11:43

Seems like LHO has Qxxx of diamonds. Is LHO more likely to have xx Qx Qxxx AKJxx type of a hand (might not overcall esp without CJ?) or xx x Qxxx AKJxxx (might preempt esp with CJ)? Do we know?

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-March-13, 14:24

They are erratic, but if you are going to trust their cards, A lead is inconsistent with 5 to the AK on rushinow I think.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 14:42

east bid 6c at even wioth so far no shape (ther than a bunch of
clubs) its hard to imagine them bidding 6c w/o some type of shape
and the only thing left is short hearts. I finesse W for the Q.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-13, 14:55

While various other possibilities exist, assuming that LHO has been honest in telling us that he has an even number of diamonds, I think the main choices are xx Qxx xx AQJxxx opposite xx x Q109x Kxxxxx or the like, compared to xx x Q10xx AQJxxx opposite xx Qxx xx Kxxxxx

We could argue that the former is more consistent with the 6 call than the latter, but I don't buy it. East knew we were bidding slam no matter what, and that we were never going to stop off to double a slam when our combined trump holding rated to be x or xx opposite a void. He was trying to mess with us at almost no risk.

I happen to think that the second layout is more consistent with a 2 overcall than the first, so I'm going to play for 1=3 hearts. On a good day, West will have the grace to play his stiff Q and I can claim.

I am rejecting 5=7 clubs because the lead suggests AQ rather than AK, and AQJxx with a side red Queen or even xx Qx Q10xx AQJxx looks even less like a 2 overcall than my first two exemplars.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-March-13, 15:49

View Postmikeh, on 2013-March-13, 14:55, said:

While various other possibilities exist, assuming that LHO has been honest in telling us that he has an even number of diamonds, I think the main choices are xx Qxx xx AQJxxx opposite xx x Q109x Kxxxxx or the like, compared to xx x Q10xx AQJxxx opposite xx Qxx xx Kxxxxx

We could argue that the former is more consistent with the 6 call than the latter, but I don't buy it. East knew we were bidding slam no matter what, and that we were never going to stop off to double a slam when our combined trump holding rated to be x or xx opposite a void. He was trying to mess with us at almost no risk.

I happen to think that the second layout is more consistent with a 2 overcall than the first, so I'm going to play for 1=3 hearts. On a good day, West will have the grace to play his stiff Q and I can claim.

I am rejecting 5=7 clubs because the lead suggests AQ rather than AK, and AQJxx with a side red Queen or even xx Qx Q10xx AQJxx looks even less like a 2 overcall than my first two exemplars.

Mike we had the stiff Q.

I would play W to hold the Q at the table, but i can easily construct hands where East holds it. I am with Csaba on this one. After all West just overcalled 2 but East is the one who saved at 6 level. In long run i expect East to hold a singleton most of the time and we know he ain't short in spades or diamonds.

Without the Q West would be something like xx xx Qxx AJTxxx or xx x Qxxx AJTxxx. First one is not everyone's taste of 2 and second one may have overcalled 3. His pd is not coming from pass. But you never know, people have different borderlines especially when it comes to overcalls.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-13, 15:43

View PostMrAce, on 2013-March-13, 15:49, said:

Mike we had the stiff Q

oh

It doesn't detract from my choice; I still think that 2=1=4=6 is slightly more likely than 2=3=2=6 and significantly more likely than a 5 card club suit, especially if we infer that rho holds the club K.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-March-13, 15:43

duplicate post

#14 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 18:11

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-March-13, 11:43, said:

Seems like LHO has Qxxx of diamonds.

Is this based on the diamond echo or something else?

View Postmikeh, on 2013-March-13, 14:55, said:

While various other possibilities exist, assuming that LHO has been honest in telling us that he has an even number of diamonds...

Why would LHO give true count holding the queen with the jack in dummy? I would have guessed that LHO holds either xx or Qxx. Isn't it semi-normal to falsecard when holding the honor?

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-March-13, 19:00

View Postquiddity, on 2013-March-13, 18:11, said:

Is this based on the diamond echo or something else?

Why would LHO give true count holding the queen with the jack in dummy? I would have guessed that LHO holds either xx or Qxx. Isn't it semi-normal to falsecard when holding the honor?

Someone gave honest count: they have 6 diamonds, and one said odd and the other said even. Given that we cashed the A, knowing that LHO held 4 wasn't going to help us at all in that suit. Why assume that it is RHO who falsecarded? It all depends on the level: in the local club most players might forget to hi-lo with xx , but they'd think it close to cheating to hi-lo from Qxx and weird not to do so from Q10xx.

In addition it should NEVER become semi-normal to falsecard, except in the so-called mandatory false card situations and even then often the best strategy is to mix it up. It's like many players just beyond the beginner level holding QJ tight routinely 'falsecard' with the Q. Against one of them, and I've played quite a few, when they play the J instead, the restricted choice odds have essentially climbed to close to 100%.

Personally, my approach when defending slams against a competent declarer,where I trust partner to be a good defender and I cannot make a clear signal that cannot cost and may help, is that I almost always play my cards up the line. I just don't give any signal at all.

That does require a partner who can draw inferences, and there are times when one has to signal in order to help out partner. You may know that partner is possibly going to get pseudo-squeezed if you leave him in the dark about shape, or you may want to let partner know that you have one suit tied up and he can let it go, and so on. But especially when declarer's shape is known or readily inferred (as here), and declarer has a guess, just play cards up the line every time.

Falsecarding is engaging in poker. I'm a bad poker player. If you're good....if you read your opp more than he reads you, your best strategy may be different :D

Please note that I am speaking about slams and especially grands and that even so there are exceptions.

#16 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 19:44

View Postmikeh, on 2013-March-13, 19:00, said:

Someone gave honest count: they have 6 diamonds, and one said odd and the other said even. Given that we cashed the A, knowing that LHO held 4 wasn't going to help us at all in that suit. Why assume that it is RHO who falsecarded? It all depends on the level: in the local club most players might forget to hi-lo with xx , but they'd think it close to cheating to hi-lo from Qxx and weird not to do so from Q10xx.

I don't assume it is RHO who falsecarded - I assume whoever holds the queen falsecarded. I thought this was standard practice, the point being that defenders can signal count to each other without telling declarer if the suit is breaking 3-3 or 4-2.

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-March-14, 03:15

Obviously it depends on the opponents, but I'd be suspicious of any count signals I was given here. They really ought to be able to see that the diamond suit is irrelevant.

I'd just play the hand that bid at the six-level for a singleton. Maybe he planned this in the bidding, by bidding 6 with Qx to talk me into going down, but most people aren't that clever.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-March-14, 03:48

Yes after I never ever mentioned the critical heart suit, it must be VERY clever to bid 6 with Qx in hearts...Luckily way beyond the capabilities of my usual opponents. I would fear more to go down against some random muggles who bid 6 clubs with a 2236 hand...
I play for the finesse too...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-14, 10:44

I still seem to be alone in the poll, though mikeh has explained in his posts why he would do the same. Dying to know whether my choice would have been as unsuccessful as most of my two-way finesses seem to be.....

#20 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-14, 11:47

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-March-14, 10:44, said:

I still seem to be alone in the poll, though mikeh has explained in his posts why he would do the same. Dying to know whether my choice would have been as unsuccessful as most of my two-way finesses seem to be.....

But his reason was predicated on West having the AQ.

And you can always play for the drop :ph34r:. This is another brilliant hand for the underrated Ghestem convention, since the absence of a WJO would cloud the issue nicely.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users