Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Incorrect correction (EBU)

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-21, 08:13

I don't think I'm really in doubt about the correct ruling here, but I just thought I'd check what other people do in this (not uncommon) situation:

2..3(A)...X...3
.P......P.....3....P
4.....P......P.....P

I don't remember the auction exactly, but the first two calls and the final contract were as shown.
2 was weak, 3 alerted, asked and explained as "CRO" (a popular Ghestem variant which would show and over 1, but is not played over weak twos).

Before facing his opening lead, the 3 bidder volunteered a correction of his partner's explanation, saying that 3 was natural.

At this point the TD is called. I know you're going to look into possible use of UI, MI, UP et al. at the end, but what do you do now?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-February-21, 08:46

View PostVixTD, on 2013-February-21, 08:13, said:

At this point the TD is called. I know you're going to look into possible use of UI, MI, UP et al. at the end, but what do you do now?

I think you should "tell off" overcaller for the incorrect timing of the correction.
In principle you should allow responder to change their final pass - Law 21B1a does not concern itself with how the misexplanation came to light.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-21, 10:02

I think the "telling off" can wait but what cannot is making sure that both defenders are aware of their UI obligations.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 05:21

View PostRMB1, on 2013-February-21, 08:46, said:

I think you should "tell off" overcaller for the incorrect timing of the correction.
In principle you should allow responder to change their final pass - Law 21B1a does not concern itself with how the misexplanation came to light.

That's what I did, but I had a feeling of doubt as I was doing it that the non-offenders shouldn't be getting a chance to change their last call, because they shouldn't have had a correction of the misexplanation, but in retrospect I agree with you that what I did was right.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users