• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2nd & 2

#141 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-30, 09:03

I guess the big question is, were Sanchez and Geno just doomed from the start, or did Rex and the offensive coordinators he brought in (assuming he even got to choose them) just fail to develop them? Running a wildcat package whenever Geno completes 2 passes in a row might not be the best way to get him into a rhythm. Then again, not having any decent receivers to throw to is a problem also, and that's definitely not on Rex.

Anyway, I agree that Rex is an excellent coach otherwise, and I think he would be a killer hire for a team like the Falcons with a fully developed QB.

Also I think the chance that we see Rex as a D Coordinator is about 0%, if he doesn't get another head coaching job he has some top $$ TV deals waiting for him it seems.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#142 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 16:45

lol Suh won the appeal. This can't be real
OK
bed

#143 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 17:43

Shoulda suspended him 2 games so the appeals guy could reduce it to 1 game, sheesh.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#144 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 18:58

Suh made $20 million this year. If you made $100,000 this year and were fined proportionately to Suh's $70,000, you'd owe $350. They gave Suh a speeding ticket for stomping on a QBs injured leg.

The NFL is a complete joke.
OK
bed

#145 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 08:56

Mike Florio at his best:

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, part of Suh’s successful defense included the explanation that his feet were numb from the cold, and he couldn’t tell the difference between the ground and Aaron Rodgers‘ leg.

The inanity of this defense is stunning on many levels, most appalling of which is that it worked.

-- Bertrand Russell

#146 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 15:20

Undoubtedly Ray Rice and ADP are counting down the days until they too can injure people with impunity
OK
bed

#147 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 15:38

Considering Suh's history, I am mildly surprised that he has not had a "player enforced" suspension, i.e. by chop block. Even if the vast majority of O-linemen are too ethical to injure someone on purpose, there are usually a few guys dirty enough to step up to the challenge.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#148 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 18:24

View Postbillw55, on 2014-December-31, 15:38, said:

Considering Suh's history, I am mildly surprised that he has not had a "player enforced" suspension, i.e. by chop block. Even if the vast majority of O-linemen are too ethical to injure someone on purpose, there are usually a few guys dirty enough to step up to the challenge.

Yeah, like there's this guy Dominic Raiola who is really dirty. He even plays in the same division. Oh, wait...

Shame on you, jjbrr, for forgetting about Greg "slam her down on a bed full of assault rifles" Hardy.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#149 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 19:27

Congratulations on acquiring the Buffalo Bills, Mr. Pegula. Oh, by the way, your quarterback just retired, your head coach has opted out of his contract, and your general manager traded away your first round draft pick. Good luck.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#150 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 20:08

Don't know much about the situation in Buffalo, but with an elite defense and this schedule next season

Home: Giants, Cowboys, Colts, Bengals, Texans
Away: Redskins, Eagles, Jags, Chiefs, Titans

if my goal was to test the market, it seems like a decent investment to stay there, take the winning season, and leave after 2015. Maybe EJ shapes up and you have a shot at the playoffs.
OK
bed

#151 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 20:17

But I guess Marrone is still getting $4 mill in 2015 after walking. Must be nice.
OK
bed

#152 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-31, 20:21

View Postjjbrr, on 2014-December-29, 22:28, said:

I think this Jets team will be a textbook example of a team that fires a coach and ends up with a replacement far, far worse.
Not with Marrone now available.

#153 User is online   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-01, 09:10

View Postjjbrr, on 2014-December-31, 20:17, said:

But I guess Marrone is still getting $4 mill in 2015 after walking. Must be nice.

How crazy does an organization have to be to agree to a free 4 million in case the employee decides to opt out? A 4 million bonus for leaving?

Oh wait, the clause only applies in case of an ownership change. Yeah, I guess as an owner I would agree to that.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#154 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 22:21

What is it about the playoffs that makes safeties so much more common than in the regular season?

2/2 playoff games with a safety so far, let's see how long this streak can continue.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#155 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-04, 07:53

The Carolina safety was a smart strategic play, one that should be used more often (including during the regular season).

#156 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 09:14

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-04, 07:53, said:

The Carolina safety was a smart strategic play, one that should be used more often (including during the regular season).

Eh... two touchdowns with a 2 point conversion in 14 seconds, or two touchdowns in 3 seconds, both seem equally unlikely to me. There was a much better example of when to do this in the recent Ravens-49ers Superbowl, but honestly the right situation for it doesn't come up that often.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#157 User is online   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 09:16

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-January-04, 09:14, said:

Eh... two touchdowns with a 2 point conversion in 14 seconds, or two touchdowns in 3 seconds, both seem equally unlikely to me. There was a much better example of when to do this in the recent Ravens-49ers Superbowl, but honestly the right situation for it doesn't come up that often.

A punt is much more likely to get blocked and recovered for a touchdown than a kickoff.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#158 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 13:40

Mike Nugent just pushed it real good.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#159 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-04, 15:44

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-January-04, 09:14, said:

Carolina was about to punt from their own endzone, and they had fumbled on their previous punt just a few minutes earlier... A blocked/fumbled punt for a touchdown followed by an onside kick... why subject yourself to the risk, even if it's a 1% risk? --said the NY Giants fan who still remembers that Joe Pisarcik couldn't take a knee... https://www.youtube....h?v=u8tRjlVKZv0

#160 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-04, 16:06

I guess the free kick vs. punt thing is a fair point, nevertheless I maintain that it is not a significant strategic choice very often.
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users