• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4H at MP

#1 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 21:59

Thought this hand was an interesting play problem, took a while for me to decide on a line. LHO leads the 4 (2/4) to the K and A. You ruff, LHO playing the 5. The format was MP, but I'd solicit IMPs opinions too.

If you try to draw trumps starting in hand:
Spoiler

then if you continue:
Spoiler

If you try the club finesse at some point:
Spoiler

I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-06, 11:20

My plan would be to play three rounds of trumps ending in dummy, then try a diamond to the queen. RHO is likely to have K, given the vulnerable overcall on AKJxx. Later, I'd probably take a club finesse against RHO, planning a minor-suit squeeze against LHO. At IMPs I might leave clubs alone and play more diamonds, with the idea of using the fourth diamond to endplay LHO.

Having cashed AK, I'm not very well placed when LHO shows out. I'd probably run 9 next.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-08, 06:10

On the actual hand the overcaller had AKJxx, J9xx, x, Qxx.

I tried a diamond towards dummy at trick 3, intending to play the A and immediately finesse in clubs. LHO split his diamond honors though, so I won, tried 2 rounds of trump, then hooked the club. Think I eventually lost a diamond and a trump but the contract came in. Wonder if aiming for 11 tricks is optimistic. On my line I guess I make 10 if I play both round suits correctly, but I was aiming to play RHO for the diamond K and club Q and could afford to do so if trumps were 3-2.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users