• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-19, 18:19

From the Interesting Hands forum...

yunling, on 2012-September-19, 09:01, said:

QJ9732
-
AT8542

I want to open this hand 1,but my partner think it's crazy.

Cyberyeti, on 2012-September-19, 10:21, said:

It's not legal to agree to open 1 on this hand in England: (from the orange book)

12 C One of a Suit Opening Bids
12 C 1 Minimum opening bid strength
The minimum agreement for opening one of a suit is Rule of 18, or 11 HCP. However a
partnership may not agree to open with 7 HCP or fewer even if the hand is at least
Rule of 18

That's not to say I wouldn't do it without an agreement to do so.

aguahombre, on 2012-September-19, 11:28, said:

I really doubt this type of hand is subject to a jurisdiction's rules about "agreements" for opening bids. As a player, you either judge it to be a strange opening 1-bid, or you don't...

billw55, on 2012-September-19, 13:56, said:

... But in general, bidding systems aren't designed for freak hands. Neither are regulations. Just wing it.

So, Orange Book 12.C.1 is just a suggestion? I don't understand the attitude that written regs don't actually mean what they say.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 18:31

You are right. You don't understand. The regs on what an opening bid is, or is not, are about agreements. If you have discussed and agree on how your methods will deal with all the extremely wild distributional hands you will incur once each millenium, and incorporate them into your opening 1-bid structure ---then maybe you would be subject to the jurisdictional restrictions.

If you think the existing OB regulations were built to stifle judgement on freak hands, that is where we disagree. I don't advocate breaking any jurisdiction's laws. Common sense tells me when they don't apply to a given situation. I think they don't apply to this situation.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-20, 03:01

aguahombre, on 2012-September-19, 18:31, said:

You are right. You don't understand. The regs on what an opening bid is, or is not, are about agreements. If you have discussed and agree on how your methods will deal with all the extremely wild distributional hands you will incur once each millenium, and incorporate them into your opening 1-bid structure ---then maybe you would be subject to the jurisdictional restrictions.

If you think the existing OB regulations were built to stifle judgement on freak hands, that is where we disagree. I don't advocate breaking any jurisdiction's laws. Common sense tells me when they don't apply to a given situation. I think they don't apply to this situation.

This is exactly right, and why I said in the other thread that you aren't allowed to agree to open 1, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it.

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-20, 04:13

The rules matter all the time, except (arguably) when breaking them is to your own disadvantage, or to nobody's advantage.

In this case, you can't agree to open this hand in EBU events, because the rules say you can't. The rules also say that agreements can be formed through partnership experience as well as by explicit discussion, so you can't open this type of hand often enough for it to constitute an implicit agreement.

Regarding the intent of the rules, I think it's very clear that the EBU's regulation was intended precisely to deal with this type of hand. If they were happy to allow an agreement to open a 6-6 7-count, they would have said "The minimum agreement for opening one of a suit is Rule of 18 with at least an 8-count, or rule of 19 with a 7-count, or 11 HCP." Instead, they explicitly stated that you can't agree to open any 7-count. So you can't.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-20, 06:05

I seem to recall a thread from a few months ago which discussed this type of hand. I can't find the thread, but my recollection is that to determine if there was an agreement to open such hands, the director asked the player's partner. The bar seemed to be set quite high in terms of achieving a "no agreement to open this hand" verdict. IIRC expressing sympathy with partner's decision was deemed to be evidence of an agreement. Apologies if I have misrepresented anyone here.

EDIT: the thread related to EBU regulations

#6 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 06:54

In the disallowed section of the GCC (ACBL), we find:

6. Opening one bids which by partnership agreement could show fewer than 8
HCP. (Not applicable to a psych.)

The rules don't say "a king or more below average" or "fewer than 8 points", it is very specific in "fewer than 8 HCP". I don't see any reason not to take that at face value and think that the regulators mean :fewer than 8 HCP" rather than "fewer than 8 HCP except in cases of extreme distribution".

FWIW, hrothgar and I once entered a KO event with the hopes of testing this rule. We agreed to open some 7 HCP hands. We disclosed this to the opponents and explained our intent. They made no objection. It wasn't long before Richard had a perfect hand, approximately KQxx x QTxxxx xx, and was able to open 1S (we were playing canape). I don't remember the final contract, but the result was unremarkable. When the hand was over, Richard showed his hand and announced he had opened the bidding, by agreement, with only 7 HCP. He called the director. The director, Sol Weinstein, shrugged it off without even a warning that our methods were illegal.

So, there is some precedent that aquahombre's (and others') assertion that the rule is not hard and fast is accurate.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 07:40

TimG, on 2012-September-20, 06:54, said:

The director, Sol Weinstein, shrugged it off without even a warning that our methods were illegal.

So, there is some precedent that aquahombre's (and others') assertion that the rule is not hard and fast is accurate.

Yeah. Sol Weinstein is a top director, but still this seems to me like somebody deciding the rules can be ignored whenever he feels like it. I don't think that's right, whoever does it.

Andy suggests the rules matter "all the time, except…" I don't like that much either. If you allow exceptions, you open the door for the kind of thing Mr. Weinstein did.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-20, 09:10

Again, all the comments about following the rules are accurate. Again, if there were an agreement to open this hand-type 1X, we would be running afowl of a jurisdiction's rules.

TimG's anecdote is an example of an agreement to run afowl of the rules, with hands even less extreme than the one given. I don't believe the opponents can acquiesce to illegal agreements, and the TD seems to have just been less than interested in the pair's experiment in skirting the rules.

My whole reason for saying I believe the horrible 1 bid to be legal is based on NO AGREEMENT. The Law is clear in speaking about agreements. There is a gap, however, between a psyche and opening a hand with a point count lower than so many HCP. Within this gap we get to apply our own judgement ---not our own agreements ---about what we open.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-20, 09:11

TimG, on 2012-September-20, 06:54, said:

I don't think there's any such precedent in the EBU. Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that attitudes to the equivalent ACBL rule are different, even though this is in a different category from rules about skip-bid warnings and convention cards.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 09:17

aguahombre, on 2012-September-20, 09:10, said:

My whole reason for saying I believe the horrible 1 bid to be legal is based on NO AGREEMENT. The Law is clear in speaking about agreements. There is a gap, however, between a psyche and opening a hand with a point count lower than so many HCP. Within this gap we get to apply our own judgement ---not our own agreements ---about what we open.

And next time one of you holds a similar hand - still no agreement??

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-20, 09:20

My whole reason for saying I believe the horrible 1 bid to be legal is based on NO AGREEMENT. The Law is clear in speaking about agreements.

This thread (as distinct frem the other thread) is about agreeing to open this type of hand. Nobody has argued that it's illegal to open the hand.

There is a gap, however, between a psyche and opening a hand with a point count lower than so many HCP. Within this gap we get to apply our own judgement ---not our own agreements ---about what we open.

I don't see any difference between opening this hand and opening xxx xxx xxx xxxx. In both the ACBL and the EBU, you can open either hand, but you can't (according to the rules) agree to open either hand.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-20, 09:24

The problem isn't with psyches, it's with implicit agreements.

If your partner knows your style, and thus that you would open that hand 1, doesn't that constitute an implicit agreement?

However, the poster's partner says that he thinks it's crazy to open that hand 1. Unless the RA authorizes it, you're not allowed to have an agreement that partner A opens 1 with that hand, but partner B doesn't, but Law 40B2a specifically says that these regulations may not restrict individual style and judgement, only partnership method.

So it all comes down to whether we consider this a stylistic judgemnt or an implicit agreement.

#13 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-September-20, 12:08

The only reason for this rule is to avoid having people playing fertilizer-type opening bids. The 7 HCP rule is NOT meant for annoying people who like to open light. For that they have the (in my opinion patronizing) rule-of-18.

So if you choose to open 1 on 6-6 with 7 HCP (rule-of-19), I will treat it as a deviation.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 12:36

The opinions of individual directors not withstanding, if there is a rule prohibiting an agreement to open such hands, and the TD has evidence that a pair has such an agreement, and that evidence outweighs any evidence that they do not have such an agreement, then the TD who does not rule that the pair has an illegal agreement is not doing his job properly.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 14:04

You can't avoid having implicit partnership understandings. If this hand came up and was opened 1 and the partnership discussed it, they have some kind of understanding. Maybe they even have an implicit understanding if they didn't discuss it when they normally would discuss anything they disagreed with. And these hands do come up now and then if you play with the same person for a while.

Also, if the regulators intended aguahombre's interpretation they would have worded the regulation so that you can bid anything you want with these hands. Instead, they explicitly did the opposite by including the 7 HCP provision.

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-20, 14:11

If that hand ever comes up again, we will indeed have an agreement that I don't like the 1S opening bid. Does that mean if I open 1S for some offbeat tactical reason, it is illegal?

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 19:31

The ACBL takes a different stance on 10-12 NTs. One "stretch" to open a 9 HCP hand and you have run afoul of regulations and are no longer permitted to use conventional responses to your "10-12 NT". At least that is the way I understand things.

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-20, 19:45

TimG, on 2012-September-20, 19:31, said:

The ACBL takes a different stance on 10-12 NTs. One "stretch" to open a 9 HCP hand and you have run afoul of regulations and are no longer permitted to use conventional responses to your "10-12 NT". At least that is the way I understand things.

You understand the ACBL position on opening NT's correctly. I don't think it can be related to hands with 12 or 13 cards in two suits, however.

#19 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-21, 05:11

If, based on your agreements with your partner, your judgement tells you that the correct bid on this hand is to open, then I woudl argue this is an illigal agreement. You can't ignore the rules and ptu it down to judgement.

If you are deviating or psyching then it is legal (though you will have to work to convince me of that, I won't just assume it), but if you say you used your judgement, then I will rule against you.

If regulators wanted to allow upgarades for judgement, they wouldn't have worded the regulations in the way they do. The same applies, in my opnion, to NT openings where the stated agreement is the minimum that is allowed, but players 'upgrade' hands with less HCP, and the same situation with strong club hands.

#20 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-21, 06:19

aguahombre, on 2012-September-20, 19:45, said:

You understand the ACBL position on opening NT's correctly. I don't think it can be related to hands with 12 or 13 cards in two suits, however.

Judgment only applies to (freakishly) unbalanced hands?

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users