• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Language difficulties Trying, but insufficient skills

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-18, 15:10

I've just come back from Pula where a number of languages were spoken, and I got a bad board largely because a Polish opponent tried to explain correctly, but his English wasn't very good and he used the word "both" when he meant "either" (I didn't pursue it as we were out of the running and it wasn't 100% clear I'd have bid on anyway). I also gave explanations in my dodgy German and slightly better French. Is there (or should there be) any slack cut by the directing staff if you make a genuine attempt to get it right, but fail due to lack of language skills ?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-18, 19:07

My regular partner was playing with someone else in one of the events in Pula, and when his opponent followed suit with a low heart, he was told by opponent's partner that "he likes that colour". Since the player could not have a good heart holding, my friend assumed that the statement meant that the player liked diamonds. He was surprised when I told him that the speakers of some languages use the word "colour" for "suit". (In the actual case, I think the player in question was encouraging his partner to continue hearts because he had nothing helpful in any suit).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 02:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-September-18, 15:10, said:

Is there (or should there be) any slack cut by the directing staff if you make a genuine attempt to get it right, but fail due to lack of language skills ?

At law, it is your entitlement to get a correct explanation (20F). But a player has no recourse for his own misunderstanding (21A). What constitutes a good explanation probably depends upon the official language of competition. If, say, the regs said that the language of competition was Croatian, then it would be the explainer's fault if he failed to explain accurately in Croatian, and the hearer's own misunderstanding if he had agreed to accept an explanation in a language other than Croatian. The Secretary Bird, to protect himself, would doubtless accept nothing but an explanation in Croatian whenever the opponent couldn't speak it, despite not understanding a word of it himself.

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 03:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-September-18, 15:10, said:

I've just come back from Pula where a number of languages were spoken, and I got a bad board largely because a Polish opponent tried to explain correctly, but his English wasn't very good and he used the word "both" when he meant "either" (I didn't pursue it as we were out of the running and it wasn't 100% clear I'd have bid on anyway). I also gave explanations in my dodgy German and slightly better French. Is there (or should there be) any slack cut by the directing staff if you make a genuine attempt to get it right, but fail due to lack of language skills ?

No and yes.

No, the AS should be as it always would have been: The NOS was misinformed and were damaged. The OS had an advantage. That will be taken care of in the usual way, trying to restore equity.

Yes, normally you would give a PP (which may well be a warning). The purpose of the PP is to teach the offending pair to do things right and to pursuade them from making this mistake again. In a case where a player genuinely attempts to give the correct explanation, such a PP does not serve any purpose. Instead, (try to) teach the offending pair the difference between "both" and "either" with the aim to prevent this mistake from happening again.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-19, 03:26

I was also in Pula and for me it felt strange when some pairs where only one person spoke any english (in one case only german, which I also speak) were explaining their bids, leads etc. Several times the bidder/opening leader either translated partners explanation or simply explained their own actions :P While not being the correct procedure according to the rules this felt like the most practical solution and it did not cause any problems. A couple of times I did not fully comprehend, but it did not cause any problems when I assumed that the opponents played for instance "Standard Polish Club" (I have played Polish Club in one partnership) and "Standard Polish leads and discards" based on their nationality :)

The only time I had problems understanding the explanations was when we played with screens (used at the top 5 tables of the teams-tournament in Pula). A screenmate of mine really struggled, but still refused to revert to written explanations, that may have been easier... It seems to me most players, contrary to regulations, prefer giving oral explanations even when playing with screens. This corresponds to my (admittedly limited) experience from international championships, and it is the same in Norway, where we only use screens in the Premier League and the Teams Final.

PS: Perhaps partly because I am not a native english speaker I would have recognized "colour" as probably meaning suit in the example above (or asked to check), but probably not the both/either.

John

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 04:03

View Postjvage, on 2012-September-19, 03:26, said:

PS: Perhaps partly because I am not a native english speaker I would have recognized "colour" as probably meaning suit in the example above (or asked to check), but probably not the both/either.

I recognise "colour" for "suit" too, but only from encounters with non-English players. I don't think that possibility would even occur to most native English-speakers, so they would have no reason to check.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 04:17

some of them only understand what they want to understand.

Me: what leads do you play?
Pole: low from doubleton
result: i played for him to have 4 and lo and behold.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-19, 05:22

Another one I came across (never having played 3rd/5th leads in my life) was a player leading 4th from Q108x which her partner implied was normal because "you can't spare the 8". Is this normal and should a caveat be put on the explanation of 3rd/5th if it's not ?

Congrats to Gordon on his promotion.

I had this conversation several times:

Me: What system do you play ?
Opp: standard
Me: Where are you from ?
Opp: Poland/France/Holland/Romania/Hungary/Italy

Standard meaning several different things depending on where they were from.

Another explanation that got me into trouble was a Polish club pair (who I didn't know were playing PC) describing 1 as prepared (which to me is clubs/bal) when the club opener had an unbalanced big hand.

#9 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 06:08

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-September-19, 05:22, said:

Congrats to Gordon on his promotion.

Yes. Thoroughly deserved.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#10 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 06:58

Another one I came across (never having played 3rd/5th leads in my life) was a player leading 4th from Q108x which her partner implied was normal because "you can't spare the 8". Is this normal and should a caveat be put on the explanation of 3rd/5th if it's not ?

3rd/5th leads are pretty standard in Norway. In Pula we (almost) always qualified 3rd/5th with "normally" (so that the opponents could ask about exceptions, noone did...), I think me and partner chose 4th 1 time each from similar holdings during the week. Another holding that for some 3rd/5th leaders is an exception is leading from a six-card suit. Some lead 4th best, to make them easier to distinguish from lowest from 5 (we sometimes also lead second best from weak suits, but only when known to hold length).

PS: We actually had a CC available at the table describing these lead-agreements even if the regulations specifically said it was non-mandatory.

John

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-19, 07:03

It happened to me in Romania that I told an opp that 2 shows a weak hand with either major (in English - my partner was not Romanian) and she understood both (she thought "either major" meant "hearts and spades", because her English was not good enough). I guess tough luck, or should I always make super sure that my opponents understand my explanations?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-September-19, 07:05

Another one I came across (never having played 3rd/5th leads in my life) was a player leading 4th from Q108x which her partner implied was normal ...

I have noticed this twice. Years ago, partner lead fourth rather than the "systemic" third-best 8 or 9. We agreed at the end of the hand that we could do that and our opponent thought that was a normal agreement. (Nevertheless, I noted the exception on our convention card because I am a nerd.)

Earlier this week a different partner lead a "systemic" third-best 8 and it cost a trick, a game swing, and led to a tie and play-off, which we lost ...
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-19, 07:56

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-19, 07:03, said:

It happened to me in Romania that I told an opp that 2 shows a weak hand with either major (in English - my partner was not Romanian) and she understood both (she thought "either major" meant "hearts and spades", because her English was not good enough). I guess tough luck, or should I always make super sure that my opponents understand my explanations?

I think it is better to say "one major" or, better yet, "hearts or spades" since both are less apt to being misunderstood than "either major". I also run into language difficulties fairly often since I do not speak the local language as well as I would like. Sometimes that means having someone translate an explanation. I also try to avoid explanations such as "Prepared" but rather say the range (points or descriptive) together with possible shapes. This generally works quite well but sometimes gets an amused response: 1NT - 2 "5 or more hearts." Oh, you mean Transfer!" So for the 2 opening, what is wrong with "5 to 9 points; 6-plus hearts or 6-plus spades"? or whatever it is.

So if you were damaged by the PC pair saying "Prepared" then I think you are entitled to redress. A convention name is not enough, especially when it is commonly played differently. Similarly, if I misinformed the opponents due to my poor German in a local competition and that resulted in damage then I would find it normal to be ruled against. If there is a major language barrier that cannot be handled with simple oral explanations then writing things down can sometimes help - at least that way you can draw the suit sysmbols and use recognisable numbers. In an event with screens it seems ridiculous not to use such aids if you (or your opponents) are obviously struggling.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-September-19, 12:03

View PostVampyr, on 2012-September-18, 19:07, said:

My regular partner was playing with someone else in one of the events in Pula, and when his opponent followed suit with a low heart, he was told by opponent's partner that "he likes that colour". Since the player could not have a good heart holding, my friend assumed that the statement meant that the player liked diamonds. He was surprised when I told him that the speakers of some languages use the word "colour" for "suit". (In the actual case, I think the player in question was encouraging his partner to continue hearts because he had nothing helpful in any suit).
s/some languages/most languages that aren't English/ in my experience.

Perhaps, more correctly, most European languages that aren't English. Certainly French (couleur == suit, "bicouleur deux coeur" = Polish 2), Swedish, German, and I believe Italian. I haven't played in non-Western languages.

I will admit, the first time that came up for me, I got thrown.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   joostb1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-19, 16:02

View Postmycroft, on 2012-September-19, 12:03, said:

s/some languages/most languages that aren't English/ in my experience.

Perhaps, more correctly, most European languages that aren't English. Certainly French (couleur == suit, "bicouleur deux coeur" = Polish 2), Swedish, German, and I believe Italian. I haven't played in non-Western languages.

In Dutch as well.

#16 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-19, 20:53

Perhaps someone should write some bridge phrasebooks? It could contain a large selection of conventions, and you can dog-ear or stick a bookmark in all the ones you are likely to be asked, so you can either explain, or just show the page of the book to your opponent, when they ask.
I Transfers

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2012-September-20, 01:39

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-September-19, 20:53, said:

Perhaps someone should write some bridge phrasebooks? It could contain a large selection of conventions, and you can dog-ear or stick a bookmark in all the ones you are likely to be asked, so you can either explain, or just show the page of the book to your opponent, when they ask.

I remember someone did just that (on Internet) some time (years?) ago. I provided him (her?) with Norwegian translations.

And in Norwegian "Farge" in bridge is Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts and Spades ("Suit") but also (for instance) Red and Black ("Colour") .

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-20, 05:03

If someone had made an effort to speak to me in my own language because I didn't speak theirs, I'd be very reluctant to ask for a ruling about misinformation. Apart from anything else, I want the opponents to be equally cooperative next time they encounter an overseas visitor.

The English are particularly likely to have this sort of problem, because most of us are awful at foreign languages and too lazy to do anything about it. (I'm not saying that Cyberyeti falls into this category - in fact, it sounds as though he made more effort than most of his compatriots would.)

As others have said, paper is good because you can use suit symbols, numerals, plus signs, and useful words like "or". I also sometimes prepare written explanations for particular bids in the local language. And I think having one opponent translate for the other is absolutely fine.

I found some useful English-German bridge dictionaries here:
http://www.bridgever...tsch&glossary=A
http://www.bridgeguy...ermanTerms.html
http://www.bridgeaka...dgew%F6rterbuch

And English-French:
http://www.webridge....que_A_F/432.htm
http://bridgefx.free...-anglais-01.htm
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-20, 05:26

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-20, 05:03, said:

If someone had made an effort to speak to me in my own language because I didn't speak theirs, I'd be very reluctant to ask for a ruling about misinformation. Apart from anything else, I want the opponents to be equally cooperative next time they encounter an overseas visitor.

The English are particularly likely to have this sort of problem, because most of us are awful at foreign languages and too lazy to do anything about it. (I'm not saying that Cyberyeti falls into this category - in fact, it sounds as though he made more effort than most of his compatriots would.)

The first sentence sums up my feelings (although in Pula, it seemed to be more visitors from other places than locals, we played way more Poles than people from the former Yugoslavia), and this was part of the purpose of the thread.

And yes I studied French/German/Spanish to O level 30 years ago, so do try to communicate in other peoples' languages if I reckon my skills in their language are better than their skills in mine.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-20, 06:59

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-20, 05:03, said:

This is pretty unfair. Lots of English and American people can speak a foreign language or two, but this will not help in most situations. We might be able to speak French, Japanese and Russian, and this will be useful against a few pairs in a place like Pula; still we will have a problem communicating with all of the other pairs.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users