Appeals Committee Ruling

#21 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-September-06, 15:14

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-September-01, 19:10, said:

2. You are playing a conventional defense which can not be psyched

Who says it can not be psyched? The OP has not stated jurisdiction or anything else: there are many jurisdictions in which a conventional defense can be psyched.

View Post32519, on 2012-September-01, 23:11, said:

So I repeat the question: Would a 4072 distribution survive an Appeals Committee Ruling as a 2-suited hand?

What on earth has this got to do with an AC? Rulings are given by TDs. ACs are there for appeals against TD rulings.

When you play a method you have a duty under the Laws to let your opponents know what you are playing. This means not only should you avoid misleading them by lying and so forth [obviously] but also you should avoid misleading them by giving poor explanations. When you tell your opponents something shows a 2-suiter they do not expect a 7-4 hand. So, I would expect you to be ruled against. So why not just describe it accurately?

View Post32519, on 2012-September-01, 23:11, said:

What about a 5422 distribution? Or would this be declared as semi-balanced? If a 5422 distribution qualifies as 2-suited it opens up huge possibilities in the defensive agreements that were being discussed.

Same sort of thing: just describe what you are playing adequately. But 5-4s are considered 2-suiters rather more than 7-4s.

View Post32519, on 2012-September-02, 00:17, said:

Which of these distributions survives an Appeals Committee challenge has a huge impact upon a defensive agreement being developed to counter MOSCITO's destructive ability to jam the auction in 2M. Personally I believe that the first two shouldn't be any problem. But I need to know for sure.

This paragraph suggests you have not gathered the point at all. Either what you are playing is legal, or it isn't, but misdescribing it will definitely get you ruled against. It is nothing to do with an AC: just check with a TD what is legal, and choose something legal, and play it and describe it properly.

View Posthelene_t, on 2012-September-03, 06:50, said:

of course you can chose to describe a 7-4 as two-suited. whether it is a good idea to play that way is another matter.

I am not totally convinced that a 7-4 hand being described as a 2-suiter is ok. It seems completely unnecessary: he can just tell the opponents what he plays.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#22 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 16:27

View Post32519, on 2012-September-02, 13:53, said:

Ben, I think you should move this thread out of Appeals Forum back to the Non-Natural System Forum.

Who's Ben? The moderators in this forum are called David and Ed.

Since this thread was one-third about possible misinformation, and two-thirds about a defence to Moscito, I have split it and moved it. The third about MI has been moved to Laws & Rulings: despite the posts asking about ACs it has nothing to do with ACs. The two thirds about the defence I have moved to non-natural system discussion, since that is what they are about.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-07, 09:54

View Postbluejak, on 2012-September-06, 16:27, said:

Who's Ben? The moderators in this forum are called David and Ed.

Ben is "Inquiry", one of the moderators of the forums in general. He's the one who moved the thread into the Appeals forum in the first place, I presume.

#24 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 11:17

I didn't think anyone but Blackshoe and Bluejack dared mess with the IBLF. It is their baby.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 11:24

Heh. Up to a point, yes.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 18:27

IBLF is run and moderated by us, true, but it is hosted [very kindly] by BBO and they do have certain rights in the matter.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users