BBO Discussion Forums: And now its a play problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And now its a play problem http://www.bridgebase.com/forums/topic/55119-the-five-levelagain/

#1 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-21, 12:53

SO this is the hand from http://www.bridgebas...ive-levelagain/ back again as a play problem.

Defence plays top club top club, carding looks like a doubleton on your right. How will you play?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 15:23

KJ, AQ, and then:
- If LHO is 2=2 in the majors, duck a diamond, hoping his diamond is the king.
- If LHO is 2=1 in the majors, finesse the hearts then play diamonds from the top, hoping he has two honours doubleton.

Alternatively, I might try to catch him napping with Kx, by playing a diamond to the ace early
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 16:30

View Postgnasher, on 2012-August-21, 15:23, said:

KJ, AQ, and then:
- If LHO is 2=1 in the majors, finesse the hearts then play diamonds from the top, hoping he has two honours doubleton.

Alternatively, I might try to catch him napping with Kx, by playing a diamond to the ace early

Can't he just return a club and have RHO overruff? It seems like we have to play LHO for Qx of spades along with a favorable diamond layout.

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 04:32

View Postgnasher, on 2012-August-21, 15:23, said:

KJ, AQ, and then:

View Postquiddity, on 2012-August-21, 16:30, said:

Can't he just return a club and have RHO overruff? It seems like we have to play LHO for Qx of spades along with a favorable diamond layout.

SO this was a hand from brighton given to me in the pub, this is a trap that many people fell into apparently. TO win you should cross in hearts and draw trumps by leading the J, and preserving the K to ruff the club return high.

Lho has 2218 with stiff K, so it was possible to win.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 06:55

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-22, 04:32, said:

TO win you should cross in hearts and draw trumps by leading the J, and preserving the K to ruff the club return high.

If RHO covers the jack, you willl have to guess whether to play for the suit to be xx-Q9x or 9x-Qxx . Playing AK works when it's Qx-9xx or Q9-xxx, which is one extra combination.

A priori that makes it better to play AK, but leading the jack may still be right, because RHO may not cover with Qxx, and LHO might not have preempted with a hand like Qx x KJ AKJxxxxx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 07:33

View Postgnasher, on 2012-August-22, 06:55, said:

If RHO covers the jack, you willl have to guess whether to play for the suit to be xx-Q9x or 9x-Qxx . Playing AK works when it's Qx-9xx or Q9-xxx, which is one extra combination.

A priori that makes it better to play AK, but leading the jack may still be right, because RHO may not cover with Qxx, and LHO might not have preempted with a hand like Qx x KJ AKJxxxxx.

Yes, seems impossible to me for lho to have Qx spade and the stiff K of diamonds.

Still, thought it was interesting.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 17:25

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-22, 04:32, said:

Lho has 2218 with stiff K, so it was possible to win.

Even on the KD lead, which they led against me. You win, cash two trumps, finessing against East, and two or three hearts (keeping an entry in North) and exit with a club. Now you throw a diamond on the second high club and you are home. Similarly on two top clubs, you draw two rounds of trumps only, finessing, cash two or three hearts and duck a diamond. A bit of a miracle lie.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users