BBO Discussion Forums: squeeze by cutting (? poor english) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

squeeze by cutting (? poor english) Advicz requested from Fred Gitelman

#1 User is offline   jaguelin 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-05, 02:32

Dear Sir,

I’ve been training often with your bridge software Bridge base 2000, especially for its educational quality. I happened to play a very interesting deal, from my point of view, which could be of interest for you.

Pair tournament
Dealer : South
Vul NS

S O N E

1♠ 3♥ 4♠ P
P P

♠ K J 9 7
♥ K 9 7
♦ K Q 4
♣ J 3 2

N
♠ -------------- ♠ Q 6 3 2
♥ Q J 10 6 5 4 3 O E ♥ 8
♦ 7 3 ♦ A J 10 9 8 2
♣ 10 8 7 6 s ♣ K 9

♠ A 10 8 7 5 4
♥ A 2
♦ 6 5
♣ A Q 5 4

O leads ♥ Q, S takes with the Ace, plays the ♠ 10 taken by the K followed by the J; E covers with the Q taken by the ♠ Ace. S plays ♦6 for the K taken by the Ace by E who returns ♦ J taken by the dummy’s Q and followed by the ♣2 for the Q. S plays a small ♠ for the dummy’s 9 and the
♣3 for the K taken by the ace. S eliminates the last E trump, plays the ♣5 for the ♣J and the ♦ 4, cut with his last trump. O is then squeezed ♥-♣ for 12 tricks.
To my opinion, covering the J trump at the 3nd trick is not a good decision, provided that S needs 2 communications apart from the ♥ K to succeed in making 12 tricks. But it seems that there is a solution anyway : if E doesn’t cover, S must finesse immediately the ♣K , expecting it second and play 2 rounds of ♣, thus capturing the K. S follows with ♦ the end being the same.

I played this deal in S and fortunately I had the first case; in the second one, I think that a “necessity” hypothesis can find the good solution, but only if you play the slam.

I would be grateful to receive your advice.

Best regards,

JCIBridge Base FG

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-05, 03:45

I've created a diagram, including removing the 14th card from south (the 7 of spades, duplicated in the north hand), and made the play up to leading the J from dummy.

"W leads ♥ Q, S takes with the Ace, plays the ♠ 10 taken by the K followed by the J; E covers with the Q taken by the ♠ Ace. S plays ♦6 for the K taken by the Ace by E who returns ♦ J taken by the dummy’s Q and followed by the ♣2 for the Q. S plays a small ♠ for the dummy’s 9 and the
♣3 for the K taken by the ace. S eliminates the last E trump, plays the ♣5 for the ♣J and the ♦ 4, cut with his last trump. W is then squeezed ♥-♣ for 12 tricks.
To my opinion, covering the J trump at the 3nd trick is not a good decision, provided that S needs 2 communications apart from the ♥ K to succeed in making 12 tricks. But it seems that there is a solution anyway : if E doesn’t cover, S must finesse immediately the ♣K , expecting it second and play 2 rounds of ♣, thus capturing the K. S follows with ♦ the end being the same.

I played this deal in S and fortunately I had the first case; in the second one, I think that a “necessity” hypothesis can find the good solution, but only if you play the slam."
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users