• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

redouble What's the use of this call?

#1 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-April-15, 08:42

I've found that the "redouble" call is nearly useless. For high level contracts, I absolutely never redoubles because the risk is too high (usually when I place a high bid, I'm not sure if it can be made, especially when the opposing contract has a high chance to be made; moreover, a double usually indicates awkward distribution). For a low level contract, I've found only 2 uses of redouble in my system:
1. For bids between 1H and 2D, I redouble the double when I feel that it can be made, i.e. redouble to game.
2. I use redouble to replace a raise to partner's bid if it is doubled by the RHO, as to save bidding space.

Moreover, I never double a bid between 2H and 3D for penalty unless I can guarantee an immediate set (like holding AKQJT9 when RHO is the declarer of a 2NT contract), because if it is made, they would be doubled to game.

When will you redouble opponent's double in your method? I would like to know.

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-15, 09:04

I have used the redouble at imps when white and I'm confident of only going down 1 especially if they have bid in the auction and I might like them to run. In a long match it's nice to serve notice on them. Doesn't work as well against strong pairs though.

I've also had them double 3nt for the lead (pards 1st bid suit) and sent it back on occasion when pard opened say 1 on 3 or 4 to the left and I have the suit well covered.

The only other time I can remember is after opening 1 or 2nt and they double a stayman or transfer response. Partner rarely leaves it in but is well placed if they are being frisky since it shows a max with fully discussed types of shape.

As for never doubling them without a cinch set, you are going to have your pocket picked every other hand once the opps figure that out.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-April-15, 09:12

Support and SOS redoubles aside, I mainly like redoubling slams. It only needs to succeed one out of four times to profit at imps.

Best redoubles I tend to get from stupid doubles of 3NT contract where opps double on general strength and I have undisclosed running minor. (Or even major sometimes)

And it sounds you double too little. (At least if you play match points at all)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 10:05

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-April-15, 08:42, said:

I've found that the "redouble" call is nearly useless. For high level contracts, I absolutely never redoubles because the risk is too high (usually when I place a high bid, I'm not sure if it can be made, especially when the opposing contract has a high chance to be made; moreover, a double usually indicates awkward distribution). For a low level contract, I've found only 2 uses of redouble in my system:
1. For bids between 1H and 2D, I redouble the double when I feel that it can be made, i.e. redouble to game.
2. I use redouble to replace a raise to partner's bid if it is doubled by the RHO, as to save bidding space.

Moreover, I never double a bid between 2H and 3D for penalty unless I can guarantee an immediate set (like holding AKQJT9 when RHO is the declarer of a 2NT contract), because if it is made, they would be doubled to game.

When will you redouble opponent's double in your method? I would like to know.

You are wrong about the redoubles on high level contracts. Redouble is % call when you believe that the probable outcomes are -1 or making or +1.

Also for the low level redoubles, your useage of redouble to save space seems naive, since it also saves space for opponents to find their fit with ease, and trust me they will often have a fit too when you have one.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 12:28

ggwhiz, on 2012-April-15, 09:04, said:

As for never doubling them without a cinch set, you are going to have your pocket picked every other hand once the opps figure that out.

You probably know the old saying -- if they aren't making the contract sometimes when you double, you aren't doubling enough.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-15, 12:28

MrAce, on 2012-April-15, 10:05, said:

Also for the low level redoubles, your useage of redouble to save space seems naive, since it also saves space for opponents to find their fit with ease, and trust me they will often have a fit too when you have one.

This is extremely important, IMO. Doubles and redoubles take up no bidding space and add options for the opponents when competing. I don't usually engage in the terms "bad", etc when debating the use of conventions; but, for the Support Redouble, I might make an exception. I won't call them "naive", because some top pairs use them and have certainly weighed the negatives of doing so. But, I have seen their opponents make good use of the extra space available enough times to know I don't like the idea.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-15, 12:30

aguahombre, on 2012-April-15, 12:28, said:

This is extremely important, IMO. Doubles and redoubles take up no bidding space and add options for the opponents when competing. I don't usually engage in the terms "bad", etc when debating the use of conventions; but, for the Support Redouble, I might make an exception. I won't call them "naive", because some top pairs use them and have certainly weighed the negatives of doing so. But, I have seen their opponents make good use of the extra space available enough times to know I don't like the idea.

Rosenkrantz-type redoubles (ie letting partner know she can lead her weak-two suit against NT) are an exception here; they are pretty rare but very useful.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-15, 12:47

Vampyr, on 2012-April-15, 12:30, said:

Rosenkrantz-type redoubles (ie letting partner know she can lead her weak-two suit against NT) are an exception here; they are pretty rare but very useful.

Yes, but ours don't contain 3-card support; only honor doubleton, so we wouldn't be raising and wouldn't be taking up any of their space, anyway. With honor AND support, we choose the raise.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-15, 13:27

aguahombre, on 2012-April-15, 12:47, said:

Yes, but ours don't contain 3-card support; only honor doubleton, so we wouldn't be raising and wouldn't be taking up any of their space, anyway. With honor AND support, we choose the raise.

Normally, yes.

#10 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 13:46

The main cases for redoubling are:

1. Lead directing doubles, e.g. they double your Stayman bid because they have some clubs. If you are the 1NT opener and have something like AJ9x in clubs you should redouble. Even if RHO has KQTxx you will likely make 2XX when your side has most of the values. And partner can pull with an unsuitable hand. They usually have nowhere to run to when this happens which makes it particularly good.

2. Lightner doubles, i.e. doubling a slam to direct a lead. This is because the Lightner double risks a six IMP loss if the contract makes, but can be a 17 IMP gain the the requested lead is necessary to defeat the contract. So the double can be a percentage action even if you know the contract may still make. But if opponents tend to redouble often, this is much less attractive.

3. They double your 1NT opening bid. Most times the doubler doesn't have enough to beat the contract in their own hand and are (correctly) hoping their partner has something. So you make them pay when they get it wrong.

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 13:54

I reckon a redouble is a useless bid. I can see that it can be good when you have a game/slam you think is going to make, but otherwise in a natural sense, never. Our simple agreement is that XX is always for SOS takeout. We would never make a natural redouble if there was a possible alternative contract available.

The other minor uses we have is that after 1C (X) we play XX to show diamonds in a transfer walsh scenario, and as part of a takeout method for 1NT (X) if playing weak NT.

Never use XX as support. Why give opps the chance to make more possibly useful bids? Just support. You should have different ways to support to show different strengths, but I don't think one of these should be XX.

#12 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-April-15, 15:54

when I'm at the upper end of a raise for a 1M-2M auction, I've found that it's useful to XX over a balancing X to show that max. By doing so, we've managed to make good decisions as to when to punish balancers who have to go to the 3 level with inadequate values.
Chris Gibson

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-April-15, 20:36

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-April-15, 08:42, said:

bro, your story is cool

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-April-15, 21:05

nigel_k, on 2012-April-15, 13:46, said:

The main cases for redoubling are:

1. Lead directing doubles, e.g. they double your Stayman bid because they have some clubs. If you are the 1NT opener and have something like AJ9x in clubs you should redouble. Even if RHO has KQTxx you will likely make 2XX when your side has most of the values. And partner can pull with an unsuitable hand. They usually have nowhere to run to when this happens which makes it particularly good.

2. Lightner doubles, i.e. doubling a slam to direct a lead. This is because the Lightner double risks a six IMP loss if the contract makes, but can be a 17 IMP gain the the requested lead is necessary to defeat the contract. So the double can be a percentage action even if you know the contract may still make. But if opponents tend to redouble often, this is much less attractive.

3. They double your 1NT opening bid. Most times the doubler doesn't have enough to beat the contract in their own hand and are (correctly) hoping their partner has something. So you make them pay when they get it wrong.

Others have mentioned...
4. Rozenkranz and Support doubles.
5. SOS redoubles (e.g. 1N (_X) XX to show a weak hand with a 5 card suit (a suit bid shows that suit + a higher ranking suit).
Other less common cases:
6. When they double a cue-bid, redouble can show 1st round control.
7. When they double a stop-asking bid, redouble can show a half-stop.
8. When they double other asking bids, redouble can increase your options (e.g RKC, XX=0, P=1, say).
9. We play 1/ (X) XX to show 7+HCP and exactly 2 hearts. (It pays to have some agreement)
10. We play 1/1 (X) XX to show an inverted raise. (ditto)
11. Redouble pre-empts for blood.

#15 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-April-15, 21:13

I don't normally double a bid between 2 and 3 for penalty, because in most cases my double would be for take-out or have some other meaning.

It's true it is rare for the natural redouble to be useful, though sometimes it is. It used to be possible to re-redouble ad infinitum to raise the stakes, so there must have been some reason for removing that from the game.

Lots of artificial uses of redouble given above, including the generic SOS when it is obviously so. I will add R0P1. I will not throw the card away from the bidding box.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-16, 01:41

JLOGIC, on 2012-April-15, 20:36, said:

bro, your story is cool

:D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:29

Statto, on 2012-April-15, 21:13, said:

I don't normally double a bid between 2 and 3 for penalty, because in most cases my double would be for take-out or have some other meaning.

It's true it is rare for the natural redouble to be useful, though sometimes it is. It used to be possible to re-redouble ad infinitum to raise the stakes, so there must have been some reason for removing that from the game.

Lots of artificial uses of redouble given above, including the generic SOS when it is obviously so. I will add R0P1. I will not throw the card away from the bidding box.

Yup, you don't double low level contracts for penalties very often, partner does and you pass.

Escaping from 1NX (particularly playing weak) XX = unspecified one suiter is reasonably common in the UK.

I actually had a case where I would have liked to smuggle a backgammon dice in and put an 8 on the table at the weekend. QJ9xx, void, xxxxx, Qxx, partner doubled their weak NT, P(F XX)-P-XX-P-P and I don't want to play 1Nxx, but want to show some values and a lot of shape. I bid 2 and proceeded to make 5 (partner has Axx, Axxxx, A10, Kxx Kx onside, 3-3) +200 and most of the matchpoints.

#18 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-April-16, 08:49

At MPs, I double more often: If I think that the chance of setting the contract is more than half, I double it (a 50/50 bet on top or bottom). If the chance of making the doubled contract is more than 80%, I redouble it (to make a single top instead of a shared top). Even it does not succeed, it is only a board, which can be caught up later fairly easily. However, at IMPs, a failed double/redouble results in about -10 IMPs, after that there is no hope to win in the event.

#19 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-April-16, 14:10

Hi,

a common situation - we open on the 1 level, they make a T/O,
now the redouble showes strength, interest in going for blood.

Another - we make a 2-suited overcall, e.g. a Michaels Cue, they
double the Cue, now the redouble can be used for runout purposes.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#20 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-April-16, 19:35

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-April-16, 08:49, said:

At MPs, I double more often: If I think that the chance of setting the contract is more than half, I double it (a 50/50 bet on top or bottom). If the chance of making the doubled contract is more than 80%, I redouble it (to make a single top instead of a shared top). Even it does not succeed, it is only a board, which can be caught up later fairly easily. However, at IMPs, a failed double/redouble results in about -10 IMPs, after that there is no hope to win in the event.

There is so much that I dislike about this statement. First of all, I've been in plenty of matches where I've lost a 10 imp swing on a board and won the match. Losing 10 imps isn't great, but it certainly isn't the match - no, I'm sorry, EVENT -killer that you've stated. Not even close, not at any level of bridge. Yes, doubles of part scores at imps tend to be tighter. That doesn't mean you wait for a set in your hand to make the double, though, it just means you have to weigh magnitude of gain and frequency both in your decision making, looking for enough of a positive expectation for double to offset the magnitude of being wrong.

2nd, I hope your doubling philosophy isn't as simple as you've stated, even at matchpoints. There is so much to consider besides whether you think it is going down, like whether you have a potentially higher-scoring contract, or whether they have a better place to play where they might get a better score than they would undoubled in their current contract, or whether your double might give them the information they need to make a hand that was going down if you remained silent, or even if your idiot partner may remove the double, turning your plus into a minus. For the first, obvious match point considerations of vulnerability, slam decisions, etc come into play. For the rest, you have to decide how your double might influence the rest of the bidding and play. These are not simple considerations.
Chris Gibson

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users