BBO Discussion Forums: Unusual hands where only an unusual play would work - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unusual hands where only an unusual play would work

#1 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-19, 18:54

http://tinyurl.com/7v3ayqc

After south showed A, I just assumed correctly that north had the rest of their HCP. However, there was an unusual club split where I incorrectly figured ruffing one club would mean the rest would be able to take. After I played it, I thought of a way it could be done, but it's something that normally seems like a horrible strategy. On trick 5, if I just led a low club and intentionally lost the trick, then I could have made the bid. If they led a club afterwards, I'd take it with the J, and if they led a diamond, I'd take it with the A, and if they lead a spade, the A, K, or Q wins it. Then I proceed to ruff a club with the J or 10, which would make the rest of the clubs good, then draw all the spades then the clubs, and I would have made it. This strategy was not without flaws, though, since on a bad spade split and a good club split, it would have given them a trick for free, when the bad club split was unlikely, so I never really thought about it until it was too late, and although dangerous, would have worked in this case, but it was IMPs and they only 2.7 for this but if I let them get even 1 more trick they would have gotten 5 IMPs so that one trick on clubs was actually pretty important.

There may be other ways to make it if anyone's interested in looking for them. I also find it interesting that it's 26 HCP total on my team, and so many tables bid a game and so many of them failed. It can't make 3NT because of the obvious heart weakness, and it's a pretty ugly fit otherwise where good defense can easily stop anything else.

#2 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 19:31

North can foil your plan by ruffing his partner's winner at trick 5 and returning a .
If you don't ruff in dummy, you presumably dump a and must ruff in hand. (Meanwhile South jettison's a )

You can never get rid of your loser. :(

Granted both North and South must be on their toes for this defense. A somewhat unusual play by North to ruff his partner's "winner".

Unusual vs. Unusual? :rolleyes:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#3 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 03:13

They can't counter ruff though. I had the top trump cards to where I could ruff with one that they can't beat with another ruff, and still have trump AKQ.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users