• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 Hearts or 6NT? ACBL Team Game

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-31, 07:50

3 Clubs and 3 Spades cuebids. 4 Spades kickback. 5 Clubs 0 or 3 keycards

With Hearts being 1-4, 6 is down 1. Just looking at 2 hands it is obvious that 6NT is a laydown.
In a team game is there a way to tell that you should bid 6NT rather than 6?

We could have bid 5 Queen ask and found out Queen of Hearts missing. Anything better?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-31, 08:02

Other than being facetious and saying something like 1N-5N-6N.

I would have interpolated 3-3 over 3 rather than bid 3 directly.

This would mean that once it goes 4-5 I can bid 5 and when partner bids 5, I can bid 6 (normally bid 7 with the K or Q, I have the other, in this case clearly angling for 6N as we're missing Q and partner will bid 6 (haven't got that but we've shown AK and I have the Q too), now you can count 12 tricks.

#3 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-31, 09:14

queen asking is clear, and when north says no, south has an obvious 6NT call. 4 clubs, 3 spades, 2 hearts and 2 diamonds for sure. partner needs to hold Q of clubs or Q of diamonds for laydown 12, and with J of hearts could easily have squeeze chances after attacking clubs. I would never bid 6H with the south hand.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-31, 10:02

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-March-31, 09:14, said:

queen asking is clear, and when north says no, south has an obvious 6NT call. 4 clubs, 3 spades, 2 hearts and 2 diamonds for sure. partner needs to hold Q of clubs or Q of diamonds for laydown 12, and with J of hearts could easily have squeeze chances after attacking clubs. I would never bid 6H with the south hand.

Is it obvious that opener doesn't have xx Axxxx Axxx Ax?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-March-31, 10:04

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-March-31, 09:14, said:

This is a fair point, it would also be embarrassing for the clubs to play for 5 tricks and have 13 top tricks in NT but 2 heart losers in 6. But you can be sure if you use the queen ask I advocate above.

#6 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-31, 10:47

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-31, 10:02, said:

Is it obvious that opener doesn't have xx Axxxx Axxx Ax?

Well over 2H I'm bidding 4H with this pile of faeces. Even with this minimal pile, finding Qx or Qxx of clubs on either side will still make 6NT, and against 4-1 hearts on your left, 6H has no prayer.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#7 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-31, 10:57

Make the Q-ask with 5D.
When it is denied with 5H, then you could bid 5NT, which must be a general "outside Q-ask", since the K-ask ( 5S ) was by-passed.
If he replies 6C or 6D , you can count to 12 tricks at NT.
If he replies 6H, then all he has are 3 bullets and you pray he has some useful Jacks.
..... But 6H may be the better contract since you can ruff a in the short trump hand ( 3s, 4h, 2d, 2c, 1d-ruff ) .
..... ( But you also need a 3-2 trump split which obviously isn't here according to OP ).
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#8 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-31, 14:01

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-March-31, 10:57, said:

Make the Q-ask with 5D.
When it is denied with 5H, then you could bid 5NT, which must be a general "outside Q-ask", since the K-ask ( 5S ) was by-passed.
If he replies 6C or 6D , you can count to 12 tricks at NT.
If he replies 6H, then all he has are 3 bullets and you pray he has some useful Jacks.
..... But 6H may be the better contract since you can ruff a in the short trump hand ( 3s, 4h, 2d, 2c, 1d-ruff ) .
..... ( But you also need a 3-2 trump split which obviously isn't here according to OP ).

5NT "must be" a queen ask since we didn't make the king ask? So is 6C a jack ask then? I play 5NT as a general slam invitation give the knowledge we are off a keycard and the trump queen. What if we held AKQ Kxx Kxx AJxx here and partner had shown 1? We would probably want to be in slam only if partner has anything extra. If not then 5NT is no worse than 5H.

On the given hand either player could have bid differently but neither would have known for sure 6NT was better by the end. It's good for a serious partnership to have a "choice of 6-suit or 6NT" bid, such as some unplayable suit on the 6 level, but for most partnerships such an agreement would just lead to trouble and I think they are better off doing the best they can on hands like this.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-April-01, 01:32

I am surprised no one has commented on the non existent suit bid of 2D as being part of the blame. Yes if Nth is a 5-4 shape, then maybe 6H might be a better contract. What is 3c now? 1543? That is what my partner's show with this awful auction. Treat a balanced hand like a balanced hand - 1H 2C 2NT.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users