• You cannot reply to this topic

Noisy Children

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-30, 10:08

Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 10:56

What is X here for you? I don't really feel like playing 5D, though I guess it should make.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-March-30, 11:01

View Postahydra, on 2012-March-30, 10:56, said:

What is X here for you? I don't really feel like playing 5D, though I guess it should make.

ahydra

x is takeout or at least "cards". Its frequently the only way to bid the hand without a spade stop looking for 3N.
Hi y'all!

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-30, 11:15

I double, which easily wins this round. After all, it isn't penalty....it's 'cards'....and it's partner's fault if he goes wrong after this helpful start, isn't it?

I don't generally advocate planning for the post-mortem in the auction....we're better off trying to do the right thing that planning our arguments about why we did the wrong thing....but double is the most flexible action we have.

If partner can't bid 3N, then we're going to have to hope he bids a red suit, since we have to pull 4 to 4 and now LHO is on lead. However, if he lacks a spade stop, we rate to have 28-30 hcp outside of the spade suit, so we should be ok.

I'm letting him play 4...we could make even if trump are 5-1
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 13:06

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-30, 11:15, said:

I double, which easily wins this round. After all, it isn't penalty....it's 'cards'....and it's partner's fault if he goes wrong after this helpful start, isn't it?

I don't generally advocate planning for the post-mortem in the auction....we're better off trying to do the right thing that planning our arguments about why we did the wrong thing....but double is the most flexible action we have.

If partner can't bid 3N, then we're going to have to hope he bids a red suit, since we have to pull 4 to 4 and now LHO is on lead. However, if he lacks a spade stop, we rate to have 28-30 hcp outside of the spade suit, so we should be ok.

I'm letting him play 4...we could make even if trump are 5-1

If p doesn't have a spade stop, why would RHO bid spades? let 3NT get back to him and double it.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 13:25

I play double as t/o here, so that is what I would do.

If I played dble as cards I would still do that.

In both cases I expect to be defending 3sx quite often, and am happy with that.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#7 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 13:46

3NT. I'm sure someone will get me with this one day, but they never have a solid suit for this bid. If they open 2NT on your right and you hold AKQxxx or better of a major, don't you just pass and hope they bid 3NT?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#8 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 14:20

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-March-30, 13:46, said:

3NT. I'm sure someone will get me with this one day, but they never have a solid suit for this bid. If they open 2NT on your right and you hold AKQxxx or better of a major, don't you just pass and hope they bid 3NT?

Exactly my point... I would never bid a solid suit over any number of NT unless I was so strong that I knew 1NT would be passed out. I will, however, double 2NT or 3NT if it comes back to me, because at that point it's usually very difficult for them to find a safe spot to land.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#9 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-March-30, 14:48

At the table I doubled. We played 4. Not a fan of partner's opening on A AQxx KQJTx Axx.

Other table reached 6.
Hi y'all!

#10 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 19:00

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-30, 14:48, said:

At the table I doubled. We played 4. Not a fan of partner's opening on A AQxx KQJTx Axx.

Other table reached 6.

Would you feel better if he opened it on Ax AQx KQJTx Axx? I guess there is the 1-round holdup value in spades, and the chance to try Q from Qxx in dummy at trick 1, but... could easily miss a game opposite QJT JTx 9x xxxx. Would love to hear your thoughts.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-March-30, 20:12

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-30, 19:00, said:

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Would you feel better if he opened it on Ax AQx KQJTx Axx?

I would, because this is a 2N opening. But the best reason of all is the actual hand is virtually cold for 6, and this hand is marginally better than 50%! But thanks for making my point.

but... could easily miss a game opposite QJT JTx 9x xxxx.

First off, I'd eke out a response on this, but I do not feel strongly about it, and I would definitely pass a 2 reverse if I did. Second, while I'm on my 3rd glass of Cab, I am not clear where nine tricks are coming from with this, or if
I even want to be in game. Feels kind of sketchy to me.

Tate, you are swimming around in the expert pool. Try to present examples that have the right amount of cards :)
Hi y'all!

#12 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 20:42

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-30, 20:12, said:

I would, because this is a 2N opening. But the best reason of all is the actual hand is virtually cold for 6, and this hand is marginally better than 50%! But thanks for making my point.

First off, I'd eke out a response on this, but I do not feel strongly about it, and I would definitely pass a 2 reverse if I did. Second, while I'm on my 3rd glass of Cab, I am not clear where nine tricks are coming from with this, or if
I even want to be in game. Feels kind of sketchy to me.

Tate, you are swimming around in the expert pool. Try to present examples that have the right amount of cards :)

:) Should be an extra x in either minor.

#13 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 21:02

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-30, 20:12, said:

First off, I'd eke out a response on this, but I do not feel strongly about it, and I would definitely pass a 2 reverse if I did. Second, while I'm on my 3rd glass of Cab, I am not clear where...

Oh dear. You are hurting my sensibilities. Cab just does not narrow it down: Is it Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Dorsa, Cabernet Mitos or just a lot of naked women?

PS: If you dont get the joke, look up Cabaret.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-30, 23:17

Cab is cabernet. The others are cab Franc etc etc. To those who say "anything but merlot", I say "would you like a glass of the '45 Petrus?"
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-31, 09:17

lol at 2NT
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#16 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-31, 11:58

Obv the 2NT opening is a bad joke. Wow I have singleton ace, I get to treat my hand as balanced!
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 00:06

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-March-31, 11:58, said:

Obv the 2NT opening is a bad joke. Wow I have singleton ace, I get to treat my hand as balanced!

This has become popular among those who has 'reverse' phobia. Those who are not confident with their continuation after reverse are leaning towards this type of opening a lot, at least thats why i think they do. I have to admit i do that with pick up partners a lot where i dont even know if we play lebensol or whatever after reverse, whats forcing and whats not. But that was not the case with Phil and his partner, they are playing for a while as far as i know.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-April-01, 01:35

:P Even before reading the thread, I was thinking that 6 was worth investigating. The point being you have located a clump of spade high cards to your right. With your ten and pard's 20-21 mostly (very possibly) outside of spades, slam in your long suit looks somewhat promising. Maybe 4?

If my pard opened 2NT with a stiff ace of spades, I would be mildly insulted. He must not like my dummy play.

#19 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-02, 14:09

This hand appears to be too strong for 2NT. With strong D suit, good controls, stiff A and 4 losers, I'd either open 1D and hope it won't get passed out, or just open 2C and rebid 2H with reg partner or 2NT with pickup partners or gib.

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-30, 14:48, said:

Other table reached 6.

#20 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 07:54

it has been so long....HAMMAN EGGS IN ONE BASKET
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users