BBO Discussion Forums: Exact same bidding/play... GIB's act two different ways. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exact same bidding/play... GIB's act two different ways. And one way is 100% certainly a 0% play.

#1 User is offline   Andy_L 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 07:16

Apologize in advance for not posting hand here... Thing is I don't know to "Import" a hand to here. Hand is Hand #7 from: "#6408 Robot Duplicate -(MP)".

3♦ is played by S (29) times. In every case when Declarer (S) plays ♦'s the sequence is A♦ followed by a 2♦ to dummy. In (19) cases West plays small ♦ followed by small ♦. In (10) cases West plays small ♦ followed by Q♦... giving away the ♦ suit. What logic can possibly support GIB's play of the Q♦?

In a previous post a reply was given saying (paraphrase): In tournament play the GIB's will act the same.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-05, 07:52

Traveller: http://www.bridgebas...username=andy_l

The difference as you see is the play of the 9 vs. the 2 at trick 3. GIB's play is based on double dummy analysis. With the 9 it is 100% obvious to GIB that it doesn't make a difference whether it plays the queen or the 3, so it will choose more or less randomly between these cards (given that it doesn't simulate any entry problems either way). With the 2 it is just a bit less obvious. In any case the simulations diverge at this point so even if it is still random you might get a different result.

Now, to see whether you understood what I wrote, here is a quiz. What is the best way to play the following suit for 5 tricks vs. GIB?

Dummy: K6542
Declarer: AJT3
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-05, 08:16

That's correct -- small differences in declarer play can affect the hands in the simulations, so the robots will play differently. I had a similar thing come up last night.

Most tables had the same auction, and West started with two top and a ruff. Then it's up to East to find the right card to get back to partner for another ruff. My opponent found the killing exit, so I went down; others switched to J and allowed it to make with an overtrick (one allowed two overtricks by later discarding a ). It all depended on the specific clubs that declarer played on the first 3 tricks.

When I was trying to figure out what happened, I had to look at some of the hands 3 or 4 times before I noticed this difference.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 14:31

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-05, 08:16, said:

... West started with two top and a ruff. Then it's up to East to find the right card to get back to partner for another ruff. My opponent found the killing exit, so I went down; others switched to J and allowed it to make with an overtrick (one allowed two overtricks by later discarding a ). It all depended on the specific clubs that declarer played on the first 3 tricks.

Wouldn't it be cool if West gave suit preference by the card he led on Trick 3, and if East used this information to determine which red suit to return?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-05, 14:33

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-April-05, 14:31, said:

Wouldn't it be cool if West gave suit preference by the card he led on Trick 3, and if East used this information to determine which red suit to return?

Where do you come up with these crazy ideas? :)

#6 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:25

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-05, 14:33, said:

Where do you come up with these crazy ideas? :)

I tried to post this earlier that with the 235 in dummy
most humans leading the 4 back for partner to ruff would mean this as some sort of signal
God only knows what GIB means in these situations.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-06, 08:13

View Postpigpenz, on 2012-April-05, 18:25, said:

God only knows what GIB means in these situations.

It doesn't mean anything. GIB doesn't make or read suit preference signals.

#8 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 09:10

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-06, 08:13, said:

It doesn't mean anything. GIB doesn't make or read suit preference signals.

unfortunately I know...I have been trying to signal him for over a year :unsure:

Question:
on opening leads what does GIB do when partner plays a card that most of us humans
would recognize as count or unblocking?

eg
leading A against 3NT asking for unblock of Q
or leading Q from KQ109X asking for J unblock.

or maybe I'll just start another thread on this topic cause I see it happen all the time.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-06, 09:21

GIB doesn't read signals. That's it.

It takes very few inferences from the plays of cards by partner and and opponents. It can't even figure out that when honors crash, it means partner had a singleton.

The only inferences it knows how to take are when a player makes a standard honor lead -- if you lead Q through K to its A, it will usually figure ut that you have the J.

#10 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 16:11

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-06, 09:21, said:

GIB doesn't read signals. That's it.

It takes very few inferences from the plays of cards by partner and and opponents. It can't even figure out that when honors crash, it means partner had a singleton.

The only inferences it knows how to take are when a player makes a standard honor lead -- if you lead Q through K to its A, it will usually figure ut that you have the J.

one of the things that I continually see happen is blocking suits

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-08, 09:41

View Postpigpenz, on 2012-April-06, 16:11, said:

one of the things that I continually see happen is blocking suits

And humans never make that mistake, do they?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users