BBO Discussion Forums: A bad night at the club - 3 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A bad night at the club - 3

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-March-26, 16:53

This hand, we had a misunderstanding of a double:

North thought the double was showing a good hand with no clear direction, whereas South thought it was penalties. 3 made 9 tricks on our defence.

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-26, 17:31

Takeout IMO. South needs only look at his hand and the auction to know this. North didn't XX [the 'real' reason this is t/o], and how many hearts exactly does he expect partner to hold?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 02:57

Obviously it depends on your agreements. I think DSIP would be a reasonable default here though. Out of interest, why did North not redouble on the first round?
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-27, 02:58

I have the meta agreement that any unclear double is take out. I like this rule, it helps to avoid these misunderstandings.

And here: East freely bids hearts, West raised. They should have 9-10 hearts. This makes a penalty double impossible.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 04:22

I wouldn't mind passing that rubbish with South on the second round. Then X of 3H is clearly takeout. Here it's rather unclear but looking at the heart holding in South he can probably divine that N has probably got the minors.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 05:56

I think it's best played as a "good hand with no clear direction", but it's also reasonable to play penalty doubles when you're opposite a defined one-suiter.

South might pass a "good hand with no clear direction" double anyway: from his point of view 3NT doesn't look attractive. It looks like 3 should go down on normal defence - after two rounds of clubs, declarer has to draw trumps to avoid a promotion, but now he has only eight tricks.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-March-27, 05:58

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 08:14

View PostCodo, on 2012-March-27, 02:58, said:

I have the meta agreement that any unclear double is take out.

My meta agreement is that if the bid is unclear then you better have back up for any meaning I can think of it :)

#8 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 12:51

(1) Why did North not redouble originally?
(2) Given that he didn't redouble and it came back around to him, why is he not worth 4 now? Partner cannot know about the club length or the 12 working HCP.
(3) Where on earth did they find 9 tricks in 3?
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#9 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:07

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-27, 12:51, said:

(1) Why did North not redouble originally?
(2) Given that he didn't redouble and it came back around to him, why is he not worth 4 now? Partner cannot know about the club length or the 12 working HCP.
(3) Where on earth did they find 9 tricks in 3?

(1) Maybe 2C is forcing and redouble shows more scattered values. It's not an uncommon agreement.
(2) Because a takeout double suggests all that plus 4 diamonds.
(3) It's not clear how, but the defence doesn't need to help declarer all that much to give up a ninth trick.

#10 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:25

View Postsfi, on 2012-March-27, 16:07, said:

(1) Maybe 2C is forcing and redouble shows more scattered values. It's not an uncommon agreement.
(2) Because a takeout double suggests all that plus 4 diamonds.
(3) It's not clear how, but the defence doesn't need to help declarer all that much to give up a ninth trick.

Pretty much. I would certainly have redoubled with 4 hearts (maybe with only 3), but here I thought it more important to show my club suit. I did double because I wanted to bring diamonds into the picture. I can't remember where we dropped a trick.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-March-27, 20:27

The meaning of the double revolves around the meaning of North's 2 bid.

If 2 is non forcing, constructive, then the Dbl of 3 shows extra values and a willingness to compete further.

If the 2 bid is forcing and shows about opening values, then the Dbl is strictly penalty. There's no need to show willingness to compete further as South should know North has at least the values to do so. So North's choices for calls are pass, raise partner's suit, or bid another suit.

#12 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 20:34

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-March-27, 20:27, said:

The meaning of the double revolves around the meaning of North's 2 bid.

If 2 is non forcing, constructive, then the Dbl of 3 shows extra values and a willingness to compete further.

If the 2 bid is forcing and shows about opening values, then the Dbl is strictly penalty. There's no need to show willingness to compete further as South should know North has at least the values to do so. So North's choices for calls are pass, raise partner's suit, or bid another suit.

2 is forcing for 1 round (not GF), usually 10+ points and 5+.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users