1-11-1-0, how to bid grand slam?

#21 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-27, 22:16

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-March-27, 01:00, said:

result: +2 -11.1 IMPs

You know, this is a guaranteed 7H, but how to bid it?

Yes you posted this on rgb and I will give the same answer I gave there. 5H says bid 1 more with each high H honour. as you have all three, the bidding ends. You won't get better answers here than on there.
1C 2H
2N 3H
3N 5C exclusion Blackwood
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#22 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 01:49

rmnka447, on 2012-March-27, 06:23, said:

What can the 5 bid be?

It would be ridiculous to preempt that high opposite an opening bid. So the only possible interpretation is that responder has lots of hearts and 11 tricks. It also sets s as trump.
<snip>

How about Exclusion Keycard Blackwood for clubs?

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#23 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-28, 03:48

wyman, on 2012-March-27, 18:45, said:

Am I the only one who doesn't play SJS? I think this hand is hard unless opener reverses and I can jump to set hearts.

It's the only area of the system where partner hasn't let me play bizarre hypermodern gadgetry. Actually I just haven't seen a good altenative. In single jump 1X-3Y auctions we play it as invitational, 6+ suit (taking pressure off the 1NT response in 2/1).

I'm thinking about suggesting that we switch to 2S for all strong jump shifts, freeing up 1C - 2D/H and 1D-1H for something else, but I don't see a huge gain from doing so. What do you play your jump shifts as?

#24 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 03:59

the hog, on 2012-March-27, 22:16, said:

5H says bid 1 more with each high H honour. as you have all three, the bidding ends.

Glad to see somebody else mention this, since this is definitely what I would be expecting. Certainly a bit surprising looking at all the controls in the South hand since I can't see what partner can possibly hold just to be interested in the top hearts, but it won't do much for partnership morale if I deliberately play partner to have misbid.

#25 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-28, 13:14

WellSpyder, on 2012-March-28, 03:59, said:

Glad to see somebody else mention this, since this is definitely what I would be expecting. Certainly a bit surprising looking at all the controls in the South hand since I can't see what partner can possibly hold just to be interested in the top hearts, but it won't do much for partnership morale if I deliberately play partner to have misbid.

Agreed, since 5H in this situation is at best ambiguous; I would have read it as a heart mandate combined with an inquiry as to trump (heart) quality. Forgive me for passing 5H with my robust 4 singleton support...

This hand is actually a classic ace-asking hand with the one small twist: a desire to know whether one of the aces held is a club. Very simple. If you have Exclusion use it; if you don't, bid 6H over 1 or two aces and 7H over 3. The slam will be ice cold over 2 or 3 aces; 6H simply requires that the one ace not be in clubs (or that a club not be led), roughly a 65% chance; 6H making 7 is unfortunate when the two aces are not including the AC, but them's the breaks if you cannot ask which aces are held. (When 2 aces are held, the odds that the ace of clubs is not held is closer to 35%.)
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#26 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-28, 16:13

wyman, on 2012-March-27, 18:45, said:

Am I the only one who doesn't play SJS? I think this hand is hard unless opener reverses and I can jump to set hearts.

No, but the people not playing SJS don't have such easy answers to post here of course. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#27 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-28, 17:10

No Strong jumpshifts.

Quite standard system with ERKC:

1C 1H
2C 2S(responder's reverse, gameforcing)
2N(natural) 3H(long H, denies C support)
3N(natural, H shortness) 5C(ERKC)
blabla.

Quite standard system without ERKC, with 4NT as RKC.:
1C 1h
2C 2S
2N 3H
3N 4C(cuebid, 3H denies C support, so must be C shortness)
4D(cue) 4S(cue SK)
5D(cue cue DAK) 6C(cue C void or stiff A)
7H

My improved structure after 1C 1H 2C:

1C 1H
2C 3H(set up H, gf, I go through 2D with sign off hands in H or invitational hands)
3S(cue) 5C(ERKC)

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-March-27, 01:00, said:

result: +2 -11.1 IMPs

You know, this is a guaranteed 7H, but how to bid it?

#28 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-29, 15:06

I don't play exclusion or voidwood. Good old-fashioned ace first cue-bidding works.

Either

1C - 1D*
2C - 3H**
3S - 4S
5D - 7H

*hearts
**sets trumps, asks for cue bidding

or if you prefer to play SJS

1C - 2H
2NT - 3H*
3S - 4S
5D - 7H

(I won't cue clubs, because partner might do something silly like think we must have 13 top tricks and bid 7NT)

*sets trumps, asks for cue bidding

#29 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-29, 16:36

5H says bid 1 more with each high H honour. as you have all three, the bidding ends.
The reason why this agreement is nice is that you still can preempt 5H with AKxxxxxxx knowing partner wont raise you. The same thing with

(1D)--5H

5H is a two way bid it ask partner to bid 6 with A/K of H but it can also a preempt when you have both AK of H and a hand where bidding just 4H wont stop them.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users