BBO Discussion Forums: What type and color (sticker) for this system - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What type and color (sticker) for this system

#1 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge of course

Posted 2012-January-24, 03:25

1.) Would someone tell me what color (Green, Red, Blue, Yellow) following system is to be classified?
2.) Should be this system allowed and in what type of competition (and if Yes, pair using system what approach should follows - pre-alert etc.)

System openings:

Balanced hands 12+ are opened by 1 - 12+ Milton Work, no upper limit, max. 1 doubleton, Any 5332 is OK
Evaluation of unbalanced hands is in Tricks points (TP) - A=1.5, K=1, Q=.5 TP and up to 2.5 TP for distribution - (Longest-Shortest suit)/2.
All openings from 1 to 2 are unbalanced, min. 5 TP no upper limit. (If strength is bellow 10 HPC, hand has controls and very unbalanced distribution - i.e. Axxxxx, x, Kxx, xxx is minimum, in my opinion better than "average hand" - 10 HPC without distributional strength)
1 = always 4+ in the suit and one of three types: 1.) 6+ onesuiter 2.) twosuiter with lower suit 3.) Threesuiter with neighbor suits;
1NT is same as above for suit

2 - 4-5+ OR 4-5+
2 - 5+-4+
2 - 5+-4+

2 and 3 - preempt 5+-5+ minors

2NT3 - next suit (transfer) -> preempt -2/-3 OR 7+ AKQ

Here is UFO pre-alert card

I apologize if this topic misfit forum...

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-24, 05:25

bbochev, on 2012-January-24, 03:25, said:

1.) Would someone tell me what color (Green, Red, Blue, Yellow) following system is to be classified?

I believe that the WBF and EBL would classify this as a Red system (WBF System Policy). Other regulating authorities may vary.

I believe the 2 opening bid is a Brown Sticker Convention (BSCs) as there is no guaranteed suit and the hand may be less than average HCP values.

bbochev, on 2012-January-24, 03:25, said:

2.) Should be this system allowed and in what type of competition (and if Yes, pair using system what approach should follows - pre-alert etc.)

This depends on the Regulating Authority. The full system would be permitted by the EBL in the European Team Championships but probably not in many other events solely because of the Brown Sticker 2 opener. The EBL would not permit it in the European Open Championships and the WBF does not permit BSCs in the open events (Rosenblum) or the round-robin of restricted events (Bermuda Bowl).

You can play BSCs in Scotland in our two premier team events but no others.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 07:21

The point is definition of "average strength/hand". I'm in doubt whether Axxxxx, x, Kxx, xxx is weaker to Axxx, xxx, Kxx, Kxx. In fact in WBF SYSTEMS POLICY I found definition of "Average hand" - a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with no distributional values, weak - a high card strength below average hand (what about "distributional" values ?).

For example:
Axxxx, xx, Kxxx, Kx (10 HPC) = 3.5 TP (A+2Ks) + 1.5 TP ((5-2)/2) = 5 TP - minimum for openning
KQxx, Qx, Qxxxx, Qx (11 HPC) = 3 TP (K+3Q) + 1.5 TP ((5-2)/2) = 4.5 not enough

Question is whether:
Axxxxx, x, Kxx, xxx (5 TP, 1spade opening)
or
Axxx, x, Kxxxxx, xx (5 TP, 2 Clubs opening)
are weak hands (high card weaker than AVERAGE hand)?

If we look at 5 TP as a summ of honors TP and distributional tricks, we'd find, that if no additional distribution values ( 0 TP ) participated, 5 TP from honors are made from 2A+2Ks (14 HPC) to 4Q3Ks (17! HPC) far beyond average hand :)

PS. Hands depicted above represent lowest limit - and still too many controls plus distribution to be passed or opened as a week :)

paulg, on 2012-January-24, 05:25, said:

I believe that the WBF and EBL would classify this as a Red system (WBF System Policy). Other regulating authorities may vary.

I believe the 2 opening bid is a Brown Sticker Convention (BSCs) as there is no guaranteed suit and the hand may be less than average HCP values.

This depends on the Regulating Authority. The full system would be permitted by the EBL in the European Team Championships but probably not in many other events solely because of the Brown Sticker 2 opener. The EBL would not permit it in the European Open Championships and the WBF does not permit BSCs in the open events (Rosenblum) or the round-robin of restricted events (Bermuda Bowl).

You can play BSCs in Scotland in our two premier team events but no others.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-January-24, 10:01

He didnt say that 2C/D/H were weak; I took them to be normal-opening-bid strength. Is 2C still Brown Sticker even if it is not weak? (Setting aside his hand evaluation for the moment; say 2C=11-15 and pointed or round suits.)

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-24, 10:08

Siegmund, on 2012-January-24, 10:01, said:

Is 2C still Brown Sticker even if it is not weak?

No. (Why didn't you just click the link?)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 10:32

bbochev, on 2012-January-24, 07:21, said:

The point is definition of "average strength/hand". I'm in doubt whether Axxxxx, x, Kxx, xxx is weaker to Axxx, xxx, Kxx, Kxx.

A question that is often debated on the forums where we all have an opinion that we are happy to share but only the Regulating Authority (WBF or EBL) can actually answer. And, in practice, they never answer specifics and just say that their Systems Policy is clear (which, of course, it is not).

However, in this case, I believe you will not succeed if you claim that Axxx, x, Kxxxxx, xx is an average by their definition (or interpretation of their definition).

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-24, 11:12

An average hand contains 10 HCP. You may not like it, but under the WBF and EBL definitions that is the case.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#8 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-24, 11:25

bluejak, on 2012-January-24, 11:12, said:

An average hand contains 10 HCP. ...

It does not follow that a better than average hand has 10 or more HCP
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#9 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 12:52

Why not?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#10 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 13:43

'[ "Average hand" - a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with no distributional values ]''

#11 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-24, 13:44

bluejak, on 2012-January-24, 12:52, said:

Why not?

Because although strength is correlated with HCP, there are fluctuations.

The average hand has one nine, does this mean that all above average hands have at least one nine.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#12 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 17:20

I know it is not a great definition 10 HCP with no allowance for distribution. But are you trying to tell me this is not what the WBF uses?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-25, 05:53

bbochev, on 2012-January-24, 07:21, said:

I found definition of "Average hand" - a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with no distributional values, weak - a high card strength below average hand (what about "distributional" values ?).

Well, if you had read the line after that you would also have found the definition of "weak", which is "high card strength below that of an average hand". So AKQT98765432 - x - is a "weak" hand according to the WBF systems policy. I do think this is pretty clear.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 07:20

It is easy to "fix" this system so that it does not contain a BS convention. For example:-

2 = preemptive with both minors or constructive 45+ and <10 hcp (diamonds is an anchor suit)
...2NT relay, then 3 = minors and 3 = constructive
2NT = constructive 45+ and <10 hcp
3 standard

As an aside, you would probably get some constructive feedback on the system in the Non-Natural Systems forum should you find that helpful. FWiiW I would strongly prefer to have a natural 2 bid available as well as 3, 3 and 3. If you are really keen on the idea of transfer preempts then I recommend looking up MisIry which uses them while also bundling in very strong 2-suited hands.

Note also that it is a good idea to give a regulating authority in questions of this type. What systems one is allowed to play in WBF events is different from what is possible in the ACBL. I have no idea about Bulgaria but most likely the regulations there are different again.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users