BBO Discussion Forums: SAYC Question Overcall (Stop's and Go's) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SAYC Question Overcall (Stop's and Go's) Thanks

#1 User is offline   Adam1105 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-02, 21:27

A Question about SAYC:

My Hand North:

Spades: QJ874
Hearts: Qx
Diamonds: Q7
Clubs: QJxx

The Bidding

West North East South
Pass Pass 1 Diamond 1 Heart
Pass 1 Spade Pass 1 NT
Pass Pass Pass

Does South's 1 NT mean STOP bidding or KEEP bidding?

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-02, 21:51

well it's got nothing to do with sayc.

i presume you're asking if 1NT is forcing or not. the answer is no, you can pass, and indeed you should pass with this hand.

#3 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-03, 02:44

It doesnt seem that your partner has strong hand, so with your hand pass seems right
Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-04, 07:01

Depending somewhat on how you play your responses, the 1S bid should show something like 8-11 here. So let's think a little about what ranges NT bids should have. With a maximum overcall partner can just about reach 3NT. With an invite, say 14-15 they would bid 2NT. That leaves 1NT to show weaker hands. What about shape? Well with a 6th heart partner might well prefer 2H, perhaps 6 weakish hearts in a balanced-ish hand is ok but let's assume 5 hearts. In spades partner will not have support, probably not even as many as 3. And in the unbid suit, partner might well prefer to show this with 4; not necessaily but if not they have 4 clubs they should also have a good diamond stopper, probably 1534.

So we have a fairly good picture of partner's hand. Naturally we can pass which looks best for this hand. With different hands we could also give delayed heart support, repeat our spades or introduce a second suit. So your partner's bid is neither stop bidding nor keep bidding but rather suggesting a possible contract and limiting the values held.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-07, 19:20

There will always be situations (for most of us anyway) where there is no detailed agreement. My view would be that partner has announced: "Based on what I have heard so far, 1NT seems like a sensible contract". So I would ask myself if I have anything more to say. Not really. The Q in partner's heart suit is certainly a good card. The Q of diamonds, with diamonds bid on your left and rho on lead, may not be worth very much. Partner could have ATx or KTx, making Qx very good, but he could also have Axx or even Kxx. I expect partner will make 1NT, I think that nine tricks are unlikely so I pass. I don't think I am forced or even particularly encouraged to bid or forced or encouraged to pass, but I pass. It's a judgment call, judgments vary, pass is my call.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users