• You cannot reply to this topic

improved Caroline Club alpha version

#21 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2011-December-08, 05:55

Gwnn posted: 2N=10-14, 5+♥5+♠ (I know, weird)

Straube posted: I also would use 2N for something else...probably to show a strong balanced hand; this might help you anyway because your 1C opening has to deal with a wider range of strengths. Notice that Meckwell use 2N as 20-21 or so and their club is stronger than yours by 2 points when balanced. Btw, I wouldn't want to open a 5/5 major suit hand in such a way as to force to the 3-level. The point of having majors is you don't have to bid as high.

Chasetb posted: I have been smacked enough times in 2♥ or 2♠ with the Majors to greatly dislike your 2NT (though Symmetric a la Andrei Sharko uses it).

Opening 2NT to show 5+5 actually works quite well. It was used by the Blue Team Club showing 8-12 HCP (2 HCPs lower than yours). I found it on Dan's website http://www.bridgewithdan.com/systems/

I have no idea what your continuation bidding structure looks like but the one used by BTC is actually very effective. I set up a "Teaching Table" some time ago and ran through quite a few random hands to test the effectiveness of the continuation bidding of BTC. Sure you get hands playing in a 5-2 fit but the results were seldom bad.

You get my thumbs up for this approach if your continuation bidding is as effective as BTC.

#22 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-08, 10:36

View Postkfay, on 2011-November-28, 09:41, said:

Trading 15+ for a 12-15NT is a big loss. 15+ is fine anyway.

Except if you want to play in England, of course, where 15+ is only licensed for about half a dozen events a year.

#23 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-December-08, 21:32

If you want to play canape, then it is 4-card majors and 4-card diamond suit openings.

There are two problem hands playing canape in a strong club system:

1) 5 of a Major and 4 clubs.

One solution is 2M = 10-14 with good suits.
Another solution is to rebid 2NT after opening 1M with max and 4+ clubs.

2) 5M332 is the other problem hand.

Put it in 1NT if the suit is weaker than KQTxx, or
2M = 5332 & 10-14 hcp.

Make the 2 of a minor opening 10-14 with 6 of the minor, or a good 5 and 4 of the other minor.

For follow-ons note Ultra club notes below (on bridgewithdan.com)
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#24 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2023-March-04, 19:43

View PostFluffy, on 2011-November-28, 03:39, said:

1 is long hearts, medium hearts with clubs or short hearts with another, this looks like a lot of fum but I have the feeling that competition will put you in a guess way too often.

BTW how do you open 5-5 and 6-5 on canape?

With 5-5 in the majors we chose to bid the stronger major 2nd, so responder can pass.

With 6-5 in the majors (assuming small difference in strength in the majors) we bid the 6-cd suit 2nd (and then rebid it to show 6, if convenient).
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users