BBO Discussion Forums: Cover an honor with an honor? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cover an honor with an honor? Not sure what the robot's simulating at trick two...

#1 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2011-November-04, 16:03

Here's the link to the hand.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-November-05, 22:29

I haven't learned how to analyze bot play yet. Was this a regular or advanced/tourney bot?

It certainly seems like strange play, since once the trump finesse works it looks like you're cold for at 5 unless there's a really bad break, and I'm not sure how ducking the protects against that. My only guess is that it's trying to maintain communication with the dummy so it can take finesses. -- trumps are the only entries, since the A is opposite a void. But a successful finesse just gets it back to the same 5 that is already assured by taking the K with the A.

#3 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-10, 06:32

It was guarding against K9xx in the South hand. To win the A and cash A, would be giving up control of the diamond suit, leading to GIB being tapped out. Still seeing as it went down with trumps 3-1 it should probably win!

After that it got a fairly simple suit combination wrong - 9x opposite KJTxx it should play the 9 first (honours from the short hand) rather than wasting high cards from both hands on the scond round.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users