• You cannot reply to this topic

Uns vs. Uns or Splinter?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-September-30, 22:13

Here's a hand I found rather interesting...

AK543, KT84, Q76, 4

R vs. W, IMP Partner opens 1 (2N) ?

Do you splinter or use uns vs. uns, and why?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-30, 22:47

View Postjillybean, on 2011-September-30, 22:13, said:

Here's a hand I found rather interesting...

AK543, KT84, Q76, 4

R vs. W, IMP Partner opens 1 (2N) ?

Do you splinter or use uns vs. uns, and why?

Splinter because 5 HCP outside of spades isn't much. Partner needs at least 11 including two aces to make slam work. Save unusual for real strength outside of the trump suit where you don't need to worry about opponents interfering (because its risky).

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-30, 23:05

I would splinter as well, because this hand would splinter without interference, and we can still do it.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-30, 23:49

4 because splinters put partner in the driver's seat and show just game values in support of partner, not slam tries. The Diamond queen would have to be the Ace for me to do more.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-October-01, 00:13

For me 3 shows inv+, not slam interest. Why splinter when you can force game at a lower level and would you still splinter
if the minors were reversed?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-01, 00:19

View Postjillybean, on 2011-October-01, 00:13, said:

For me 3 shows inv+, not slam interest. Why splinter when you can force game at a lower level and would you still splinter
if the minors were reversed?

Can't imagine how reversing the minors would matter. And re: 3D ---why make a non-descriptive general support bid (inv+) when u have a specific limited splinter available to give partner the ball?

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-October-01, 00:39

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-01, 00:19, said:

Can't imagine how reversing the minors would matter. And re: 3D ---why make a non-descriptive general support bid (inv+) when u have a specific limited splinter available to give partner the ball?

If you reverse the minors and splinter 4 partner can't show control below game. I prefer using splinters for hands with little slam interest and on this hand I am interested.3 leaves plenty of room to cue.
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-01, 00:55

View Postjillybean, on 2011-October-01, 00:39, said:

If you reverse the minors and splinter 4 partner can't show control below game. I prefer using splinters for hands with little slam interest and on this hand I am interested.3 leaves plenty of room to cue.

O.k. Seems as if you have the answer to your question in the O.P. already ---plus the answer to the follow-up about reversed minors.

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-01, 01:51

I prefer using splinters for hands with little slam interest

That seems completely the wrong way around.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-October-01, 06:06

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-01, 00:55, said:

O.k. Seems as if you have the answer to your question in the O.P. already ---plus the answer to the follow-up about reversed minors.

I asked the question because I evaluated this hand as having slam interest and would not splinter, I`m not sure if it is the best method or right evaluation. It sounds like we use the approach to splinters ("4♣ because splinters put partner in the driver's seat and show just game values in support of partner, not slam tries"), Our difference could be in evaluation rather than method?
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-October-01, 07:37

I prefer using splinters for hands with little slam interest

View Postgordontd, on 2011-October-01, 01:51, said:

That seems completely the wrong way around.

Well, obviously there is no point in using a splinter unless it will help you find a thin slam, but I think that the OP is saying that she (and most people) would not splinter with an in-between hand. She would splinter with a hand that gives partner information in order to evaluate slam prospects (potentially with a super fit), or with a monster that would bid on after a splinter.

This is why splinters have to be very specific, with their points in aces and kings rather than queens and jacks. I like to play splinters as 3 or 4 controls (A=2, K=1) and very little outside. The more tightly defined, the better, when a bid takes up so much space.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-01, 09:28

Not to worry in this case about leaving a lot of room for cue-bids. If I had a control in diamonds as well as my club stiff, perhaps a slower route than the splinter would be appropriate. Partner is expected to know that also.

The most likely "slam-probe" by opener will be Wood. Even with, say QX of hearts, opener can guess reasonably that my ten HCP will consist of a heart control. In response to WOOD I intend to show the spade queen. Since she probably holds it herself, the 5-card support will become apparent.

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-October-01, 09:32

A typical splinter is a normal 11 count with 4 trumps and a singleton. I don't know how interested I am in slam, I just know that I told my pd what I have. In the case of most splinters we can have slam opposite a very suitable minimum, so I guess that means that I have slam interest.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-October-01, 10:13

Here's how the bidding went

(still learning)

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-01, 10:20

Pard expressed slam interest; they took away Wood, and that is the best she could do. I accept; that is the best I can do. 6

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users