• You cannot reply to this topic

??

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-September-24, 00:45

How do you evaluate this hand and what is your bid?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-24, 04:31

The only reasonable choices are bidding 4H or a game try in H

I would just bid 4H, which I know could work out bad. It is a 7 LTC hand without allowing for the fact that you have a likely (albeit not certain, in my style) 9 card trump fit.

I suppose that if you have the mechanism to show a game try with short diamonds, then that is a tempting route, which probably is the more disciplined. But lacking that mechanism I would definitely favour 4H over a non-descript game try over which opener will not know when to accept.

Having a 9 card trump fit makes a big difference to hands like this, and if your partner is not one of those who is inclined to raise on 3, it argues more forcefully for bidding 4 now.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-24, 06:25

Yeah I'd just try 4H

#4 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-24, 07:09

It's a little shy of a 4 bid. I'll bid 2 for several reasons.

1. It will put my LHO off from leading spades.
2. It could result in a superior spade contract.
3. It will let me find out more about my partner's hand.

Assuming this is IMPs (why do people never put the form of scoring in their posts?!!?) most people will just bid to 4 because even though it's not assured the benefits of being right vastly outweigh the cost of being wrong.

As for evaluating the hand, ZPs puts it at 24, which is a queen less than an opening bid.
My own system, which is called Deductive Points (DPs) puts it at 16 where 18 is an opening bid, so a queen less.
NLTC puts the hand at 14 half-losers and recommends a 4 bid. This assumes, of course, that there are no wasted values in diamonds opposite your void. I think there are likely to be wasted values in diamonds.

In conclusion: 4 at IMPs, something else at matchpoints (depending on your system).

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-24, 07:13

#2 is true only if you raise with 4 spades and 3 hearts sometimes (I presume you are going to play 4H if partner is 4-4 in the majors).

#1 is true, bidding 2S might be best even if you are always bidding game in order to try and stop the spade lead.

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-24, 07:44

I vote for the 2 game try as it dumps the decision on partner :rolleyes: but I really want to hear 3 if partner has 3 small :D
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-24, 09:59

It's usually right to blast game and give the opps a guess on lead but I like the idea of 2 to try to blow off that lead.

My pard hardly ever rejects my game tries unless it's an emergency and will rebound with 3 of a minor to show location of values and a "maybe" accept. Glass 1/2 full type.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-24, 10:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-24, 07:13, said:

#2 is true only if you raise with 4 spades and 3 hearts sometimes (I presume you are going to play 4H if partner is 4-4 in the majors).

#1 is true, bidding 2S might be best even if you are always bidding game in order to try and stop the spade lead.

If you held:

Kxxx
Axxx
AJx
Qx

And the auction went (opps passing throughout):
1 you
what would you bid? I'm assuming 4 (although maybe you'll bid 4) but either way, the choice is out of my hands and firmly in the hands of my partner. Accordingly the question, posed to me, about whether I would play in the 5-4 heart fit or the 4-4 spade fit is moot as the decision is not mine to make.

#9 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-September-24, 10:17

Only a game try for me, thank you. I like 7 loser hands as much as the next guy but this is one time when I really care which suit my partner's non-heart values are in: 3D or 3H from partner and I stop, anything else I go.

No chance of a "superior spade contract" being found IMO - opener might be 4-4, but even if he is, the 2S try doesn't promise 4 nor does accepting the try. (I suppose you could play 1d-1h-2h-2s-3s as accepting with 4-4 majors if you really wanted; but I play it as a concentration in case responder's 2S was the start of a game-or-slam query rather than a partscore-or-game one.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users