• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

YOUR BID TONIGHTS SPEEDBALL

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 21:35

ALL RED IMPS

Playing with a casual KISS partner, I considered 4 bids.

1. 3
2. 4
3. 4
4. 4

I wasn't sure if 3 was forcing so I rejected that call.
4 might be right if P held good and a stiff or control!
4 seems ok, though it might be to our advantage if the lead was up to partner's hand.
Eventually I settled on 4.

Did I make the best bid?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 22:55

For me AKQxxxx is the trump. I'd bid 4.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 23:41

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-01, 22:55, said:

ditto

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-September-02, 00:37

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-01, 22:55, said:

View Postmike777, on 2011-September-01, 23:41, said:

ditto

Make that 3
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-02, 01:15

If you are just going to jump to game and give up on slam, why would you choose your Kx of partner's suit over your AKQxxxx? AKQ seventh is a good trump suit opposite any holding, and your hand is so strong I'd expect it to always make. 4S might be in trouble on something like 5-1 spades or dummy getting killed.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-02, 03:38

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-02, 01:15, said:

4S might be in trouble on something like 5-1 spades or dummy getting killed.

5-1? I'm glad to hear that your partnership isn't hidebound by the traditional requirements for a vulnerable weak jump overcall.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-September-02, 03:44

:P 4. Am I a favorite to make 4? Yes. Might 4 go down? With a bad split or no ace, yeah. What about a 3 bid? Maybe, but it's anti-percentage. How about supporting ? See JLOGIC comment.

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-September-02, 07:36

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-02, 03:38, said:

5-1? I'm glad to hear that your partnership isn't hidebound by the traditional requirements for a vulnerable weak jump overcall.

:)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-September-02, 10:17

Meh meant 4-1 obviously, losing 2 spade tricks and 2 whatever would suck. the CA and heart getting knocked out from our hand would suck. I am not sure why gnashers post was upvoted by han and cherdano, it is pretty obvious that I meant 4-1 and that the 5 and 4 keys are next to each other on a laptop. Great post, it added a lot to the discussion thx.

Andy do you ever post what you would bid or play in any thread now or do you simply nitpick everyone's posts instead while making non committal comments?

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-02, 10:45

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-02, 10:17, said:

Meh meant 4-1 obviously, losing 2 spade tricks and 2 whatever would suck. the CA and heart getting knocked out from our hand would suck. I am not sure why gnashers post was upvoted by han and cherdano, it is pretty obvious that I meant 4-1 and that the 5 and 4 keys are next to each other on a laptop. Great post, it added a lot to the discussion thx.

Andy do you ever post what you would bid or play in any thread now or do you simply nitpick everyone's posts instead while making non committal comments?

Sorry if you didn't find my joke funny. I'll bear that in mind.

I generally only post if I have something to say that nobody has already said, or if I disagree with the majority. In a thread like this, I can't see much point in announcing that I too would bid 4.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-02, 14:35

View Postjmcw, on 2011-September-01, 21:35, said:

ALL RED IMPS

Playing with a casual KISS partner, I considered 4 bids.

1. 3
2. 4
3. 4
4. 4

I wasn't sure if 3 was forcing so I rejected that call.
4 might be right if P held good and a stiff or control!
4 seems ok, though it might be to our advantage if the lead was up to partner's hand.
Eventually I settled on 4.

Did I make the best bid?

I think 4 is a good bid. However, I would have probably bid 4.

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-September-03, 01:56

Lets KISS. 4. After all, since I'll be playing it, it's the simplest and best chance for a plus for our side :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-03, 04:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-02, 10:17, said:

Meh meant 4-1 obviously, losing 2 spade tricks and 2 whatever would suck. the CA and heart getting knocked out from our hand would suck.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I don't think that concerns about a 4-1 break suggest bidding 4. If anything, they argue in favour of 4.

Suppose, for example, that partner has AQJxxx x xxx xxx. In 4, we can cope with either or both suits breaking 4-1 (on three rounds of diamonds we discard a club from dummy). In 4 we can cope with 4-1 spades, but probably not with 4-1 hearts - they cash two diamonds and switch to a club, and we'll need the long trump to have three spades.

Another example: QJ10xxx x xxx Kxx. 4 is down on either 4-1 break, but 4 survives a 4-1 spade break.

The difference is that in hearts we can see we're probably missing the secondary honours that would allow us to cope with a bad break. In spades partner may have them, and probably does have them because he's vulnerable.

This is a complex decision, becase we have to consider partner's style, responder's failure to make a negative double, and the possibility that they'll compete to 5. If they're going to save, it's much better to have bid 4 so that we can involve partner in the decision.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-03, 15:12

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-03, 04:05, said:

Now that I've thought about it some more, I don't think that concerns about a 4-1 break suggest bidding 4. If anything, they argue in favour of 4.

Suppose, for example, that partner has AQJxxx x xxx xxx. In 4, we can cope with either or both suits breaking 4-1 (on three rounds of diamonds we discard a club from dummy). In 4 we can cope with 4-1 spades, but probably not with 4-1 hearts - they cash two diamonds and switch to a club, and we'll need the long trump to have three spades.

Another example: QJ10xxx x xxx Kxx. 4 is down on either 4-1 break, but 4 survives a 4-1 spade break.

The difference is that in hearts we can see we're probably missing the secondary honours that would allow us to cope with a bad break. In spades partner may have them, and probably does have them because he's vulnerable.

This is a complex decision, becase we have to consider partner's style, responder's failure to make a negative double, and the possibility that they'll compete to 5. If they're going to save, it's much better to have bid 4 so that we can involve partner in the decision.

In addition to this, about 4 vs 4 decision, i think in situations where we may need a little help from defense, this will be more likely when our hand is declaring than when this hand is tabled.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-September-03, 19:52

There is an old nursery rhyme about making the weak hand's long suit be trump; the strong hand's aces and kings will still take tricks.

Maybe AKQ-7 is enough to ignore that. But I think there are quite a few hands were e.g. 4-1 spade break might doom 4H just as surely as it does 4S, and we do have at least 8 good trumps in spades where we may have only seven in hearts, if we are worried about 4-X breaks in trump suits.

Put me down for 4S with a casual partner, and something more scientific with a regular one.

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-September-03, 21:26

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-03, 04:05, said:

We only need the long trump to have 2 spades. 4S is better but it would be unlucky for it to matter.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I don't think that concerns about a 4-1 break suggest bidding 4♥. If anything, they argue in favour of 4♠.

I just really disagree with this conclusion. Yes, if partner has no SA and the CK and all the middle spades and a singleton heart, 4S will be better. There are definitely examples of 4S being better. That said I think they are far less likely than hand types where 4H are better. Hands like, partner having AJ9xxx of spades,or partner having AQ of spades and a doubleton heart, etc. They are not very hard to construct.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users