Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP HappyNY My brother Diederik

#1 User is offline   Acolyte52 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-09, 09:48

At 7:10 this morning my older brother Diederik (aka HappyNY) passed away peacefully in his sleep, aged 51.

In his younger and fitter days he excelled at every sport and game; he was a professional sportsman and true amateur of bridge in particular, which he played throughout his life. He was introduced to the game by our grandfather, who passed away when my brother was 18 and I was 9; a fourth was soon needed and so it came that I was introduced to the game.

Diederik was not academically inclined, but he could communicate in almost any (European) language and would play his partner's system whatever it was. He was also a truly gentle soul who made friends with everybody he played with, and over the last three-and-a-half years made many friends on BBO who I am certain will miss him dearly.

I actually created the account, HappyNY, myself, having forgotten the password to my home account (DylanJ at the time, and can't change the password in the old client since it won't run), "created 2007-12-31" - it seems so much longer! - on the computer hitherto mostly used for e-mail and sports results, and the login count is now at 5000+, so that means at least 4 times per day on average. He wouldn't always play; if he wasn't feeling well he'd often just kibbitz whilst listening to music and/or chatting to friends.

Anyway, he will be cremated next Wednesday and I will make an effort to get in touch with as many of his bridge partners as I can after that, and play some hands with those who wish to too. I'll be linking them to this thread and asking them to post some of their memories, and I trust that here of all online forums there will be respect for my wish to keep things respectful, so that I can direct our parents, both of whom survive him, to this thread eventually.

At my first bridge club (mid-90's) it was quite common for a death to be announced, but rare for the person concerned to be much under 90. Although my brother has passed before his assigned three score and ten, at least he made a great half century, and he'd be the first to laugh at being one card short of a full deck.

He listened mostly to 70's pop music, but also classical. Suggested listening: Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", Mozart's "Requiem".

Roderick Dylan John

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-09, 10:36

Condolences
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-July-09, 11:44

This is a nice tribute to your brother. I am sorry for your loss.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-09, 12:12

Very sorry about your brother. Death is never easy, but its especially sad when someone gets taken at a young age.

Thanks for sharing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-July-09, 13:23

My brother died a couple years ago having reached only age 50. I share your pain.

#6 User is offline   gabky 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-13, 10:29

I meet your brother on bbo almost 2 years ago and he was a nice agreable presence at my table ! He enjoyed me and my friend jamal36 and we smile so much for a while ! He makes nice and inteligent jokes and he remain the same nice person all this time! if we didnt meet at table we chat sometime ! He surprise me with his hello sometime ! I am sry to know about this !Condolences!

#7 User is offline   Manorlass 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-20, 14:36

Dear Dylan

I am so sad to hear this.

Please give your Mum a hug from me and a handshake to your Dad.

I have spoken briefly a few times on bbo with your brother and it was obvious when doing so he thought a lot of you.

Sincere sympathy to you from me and also on behalf of all those in the acol club who know you, especially katyliz

Love

Jennifer

#8 User is offline   sun44 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-21, 02:14

I had the advantage to have Dee as my first bridge friend on BBO. He was a very good friend and full of humour and laugh. He write small poem as I suggest he would give for press.
I know many many players who are missing Dee but we never forget him.

May You rest in peace ........somewhere we meet again.

Marie

#9 User is offline   sissill 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-22, 07:34

Rest in peace Diedrik, i believe u now have piece in every way, and now u can do whatever u dreamt of. Thanks for nice games on BBO, and nice little stories.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users