BBO Discussion Forums: modifying a relatively standard 1NT response structure - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

modifying a relatively standard 1NT response structure

#1 User is offline   olien 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-03, 22:14

I have no idea if this is original or if its even good, but I want to get peoples' opinion of it.

Responses to 1NT (we play strong, but range is not really relevant here):

2 Normal Stayman
2 a) 5+ b) any 4441 GF or c) 6+/4 either way in minors GF
2 5+
2 size inquiry or 6+ any strength or 2=2=(5/4) quantitative+
2NT transfer or weak both minors
3 puppet stayman, but not 4-4 majors
3 5+/5+ minors, GF
3 3=1=(5/4) GF
3 1=3=(5/4) GF
3NT to play
4 the dreaded G word
4/ transfers
4 minor suit freak, no interest in 3NT or slam
4NT quantitative with 4333

After 1NT-2 (3 response stayman), pretty standard follow ups: 3-level smolen, garbage, 3m natural and GF (promises a major)

After 1NT-2, opener usually bids 2 and then:
2 cancels transfer, any 4441 or 6+/4 either way in minors GF
2NT and higher reveal normal transfer hands

1NT-2// 2-2// 2NT relays (forced), and then:
3 any 4441 with 4[clubs) (then 3 relays for LMH singleton)
3 6+ + 4 (3 relays for LH singleton)
3M shortness with 6+ + 4
3NT 4=4=4=1, NF
4 4=4=4=1, quantitative+

Opener can only super accept with 2 over 2, and then:
2NT = 5+ any strength
3-4 = same as after 1NT-2// 2-2// 2NT...

1NT-2 has the normal array of stuff, nothing special

1NT-2// 2NT (min) or 3 (max):
P/3 = to play
3 = 6+ either w/o shortness (mild+ SI) or 0-1 (3 asks then 3=0/1)
3M = shortness, 6+
3NT = to play
4 = 2=2=4=5 quantitative+
4 = 2=2=5=4 quantitative +

1NT-2NT, opener super accepts with 3, then pretty uneventful

1NT-3:
3 = no 5M (does NOT promise 4M), then 3M=4 OM, 4m=5m(332) quantitative+
3M = 5M, then OM=strong raise and 4m=natural quantitative+

1NT-3:
3 = asks for shortness

Opinions would be welcome. Thanks. And sorry if some (or all) think this is the wrong section to put this in.

#2 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2011-June-04, 00:16

It's all good.

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-04, 02:31

I don't like your transfer that may not be hearts. I think 2-way bids are to be avoided. Besides, there are enough heart hands to occupy full use of the 2D transfer.

I think you should give up on showing weak both minors. The space required to play in opener's best minor can be better used for many other things.

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-04, 04:54

I also don't like the 2 response, I'd rather sacrifice the 3m rebids after stayman for describing such hands.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-June-04, 07:13

The 3puppet:
--obviously G.F
--not 4-4 in majors, but also not 4-2, 4-1, etc.
--used with a 3-card major to check for 5-3 fit enroute to 3NT, so 4-3; 3-3; 3-2; etc.

Failure to go thru 3C, while raising to 3NT should make opener worried about an open major; hence 3C might also be used enroute to 3NT with short honors in responder's hand. This probably makes a direct raise to 3NT alertable.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-June-04, 07:27

View Poststraube, on 2011-June-04, 02:31, said:

I don't like your transfer that may not be hearts. I think 2-way bids are to be avoided. Besides, there are enough heart hands to occupy full use of the 2D transfer.

The 2 response which might not have hearts is ok if it only could have one other meaning (say, Walsh relay for minor suit slam try in a 2-suit xfer style).

If you use 2D as "might not", you need to tone down the super accepts and only use 2 for that, so Responder can rebid 2NT to confirm real hearts --but deny hearts by launching to the 3-level with the minor-suit slam try hands.

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-04, 15:38

I'll be seriously lowering my standards for 3 after your 1NT-2.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-June-04, 15:51

Good point. We are constantly in fear, after pard opens 1NT and the next hand passes, that whatever system we put into motion will be destroyed by a 3S bid from the next hand.

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-04, 16:00

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-June-04, 15:51, said:

Good point. We are constantly in fear, after pard opens 1NT and the next hand passes, that whatever system we put into motion will be destroyed by a 3S bid from the next hand.

You are? You must play something similar to what Owen posted then. Personally, when I open 1NT, partner bids 2 and opps come in with 3, I have a pretty easy choice between whacking them, passing, and bidding 4. It is particularily easy because I know partner has 5+ hearts.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-June-05, 05:59

1NT - 2D as hearts or many GF hand types has been played at the highest level. It is just fine and this version has fewer hand types.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-05, 10:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-June-05, 05:59, said:

1NT - 2D as hearts or many GF hand types has been played at the highest level. It is just fine and this version has fewer hand types.

After 1N-2D, 2H there's still a lot of hand types....

H/C (many patterns here)
H/D (many patterns here)
four 4441s
two 6m4m21s
GI hearts

Assume for sake of argument that 1N-2D, 2H-2S handles all GIs. That leaves the room of 2N-3N for showing other hand types. This translates to 13 hand types. So now we have to use 6 of 13 for non-heart hands. Give up 2N for all GIs (so that 2S and 3C up are forcing) and now we have room for 16 hand types, so that would mean we have 6 of 16 for non-heart hand types.

Either way puts a lot of pressure on heart hands.

Wondering what his continuations are...

#12 User is offline   mike gill 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-05, 18:04

I think you should nix the weak 5-5 minors hand and play 2n as puppet and 3c as diamonds wk/GF.

1) 5-5 minors weak never comes up and even when it does they usually bid and even if they don't you might guess to transfer to the right one. Neither does the invitational hand with 6m opposite the perfect min if you're playing the in between step as a pre-accept, so that's really not much of a win at all - you can just ask max/min and do fine.

2) When you have only one/two 3-card majors, bidding puppet will rarely find a 5-3 fit and so if you're, e.g., 3352/(32)53 you're going to hate bidding 3c and giving them a chance to X. They can X on less and it's much harder to profitably pass or XX since it's a whole level higher.

3) You can find a good use for the extra step in puppet auctions. For example, you can fit the (31)(45) hands in there if you want. That frees up direct 3M for (41)44 or whatever else you want, which would take some pressure off your 2d response. For example, something like:

1n 2n
3c no 5M
3d asking for 4M
3h 13(45)
3s 31(45)
3d 5s
3h 5h

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-June-05, 18:08

View Postmike gill, on 2011-June-05, 18:04, said:

1) 5-5 minors weak never comes up and even when it does they usually bid and even if they don't you might guess to transfer to the right one. Neither does the invitational hand with 6m opposite the perfect min if you're playing the in between step as a pre-accept, so that's really not much of a win at all - you can just ask max/min and do fine.

I have had this come up several times. Playing 4-way transfers, I bid 2NT(transfer to diamonds), and when partner bids 3 to show no great love for diamonds, I pass. But it is pretty important to try to find a playable spot with this hand playing weak NT. I think that the OP said he plays strong NT, so it probably doesn't matter as much.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-05, 19:01

View PostVampyr, on 2011-June-05, 18:08, said:

I have had this come up several times. Playing 4-way transfers, I bid 2NT(transfer to diamonds), and when partner bids 3 to show no great love for diamonds, I pass. But it is pretty important to try to find a playable spot with this hand playing weak NT. I think that the OP said he plays strong NT, so it probably doesn't matter as much.

The 2N response is special in that it can't be doubled as a lead-direct. Using it for Puppet Stayman takes frequent advantage of this important bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users