• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 Spade

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-01, 21:43

Forget the bidding , lead is 8. Whats our best line ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-July-01, 22:05

The lead is sort of a bummer.

I could win in hand, unblock diamonds cross to dummy in hearts and ruff a diamond, then play the last honour and throw a club from the table. If this goes fine, A, club ruff, diamond ruff, club ruff, diamond ruff. If diamonds are 3-3 I could play a the last trump from dummy to a high honour and then the heart.

But that sounds too easy to be good.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-02, 07:00

Feels like it is right to win in hand, cash the ace of diamond and play a club up. If the club K is onside I will now have the entries to finesse in both spades and diamonds. If the club K is offside I will have to ruff a club for one entry to play on diamonds, and get one heart pitch. Or I could try ruffing one diamond and if not Kx I could try to ruff a third round of hearts and take a spade finesse with the last entry. Probably when they win the club they will attack one of dummies entries and force you to play on diamonds at once. It is also possible that RHO might duck the first round of diamonds if he has Kxxx thinking that partner will be able to ruff the third round - it is not that big an oversight to miscount declarers tricks by one (you only need one diamond pitch).
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-02, 11:05

I think I'm going to need the spade finesse, so I'll just play 4 rounds of hearts discarding 2 clubs from dummy. If all goes well, I'll ruff 2 clubs in dummy and finesse the spade on the way back.

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-02, 18:18

whereagles, on 2011-July-02, 11:05, said:

I think I'm going to need the spade finesse, so I'll just play 4 rounds of hearts discarding 2 clubs from dummy. If all goes well, I'll ruff 2 clubs in dummy and finesse the spade on the way back.

If you are going to play like this surely you should at least play three rounds of hearts pitching a club cash the diamond ace and ruff a club and run the diamond queen pitching a heart. In fact, this is certainly better than my line.

I will make now provided hearts 4-3 and either I can get a heart away on the diamond, (Kx Kxx in the slot), essentially always if the Qx or Qxx spade in the slot aswell. And you still have chances even if the second heart is ruffed.

Having said that, it feels like there is a non zero inference that if lho is making a passive lead in hearts, he might well have made a passive lead in trumps with xx or xxx against this auction, so maybe we should take that into consideration.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-02, 18:56

MrAce said
Forget the bidding , lead is 8. Whats our best line ?

My guess...
QKA discarding a , A, ruff a , A, ruff a , ruff a , ruff a
Hoping that the player with three hearts also holds Qx or Qxx or xxx or 8732 or 32 or Q or 3 or 2 of trumps.
All a bit fraught. For example, If RHO ruffs the there is a risk of a trump promotion..

#7 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-02, 21:52

My gut says to win in dummy and immediately take the hook. If it loses we're really constrained on our remaining actions; we need the diamond hook and a ton of luck with the distribution. If it wins we have a choice of plays, and we're better suited to picking up a distribution where we need to hook twice.

Then again, that could just be the tacos I had for dinner.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-02, 22:56

A good player played this hand, i was not sure which line was better, thats why i brought it up.

He took in dummy, and cashed AK discarding a , A and ruff, to A, ruff, ruff and played 4th as Nige suggested.

Alternative line seemed to me as Hanoi suggested, take in hand, A, to Q, ruff, A discard a , A and ruff, ruff, ruff and play 4th .

On the actual layout West had;

Q2
8xx
Kxx
KJxxx
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users