• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats your bid ?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-02, 14:49

IMPS, EW vuln. It may look this hand doesn't belong to this section, however it was played by 4 world class players and caused some arguments among some world class kibitzers. What would u bid ? Will u blast game ? Invite ? Ask pd's support ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 15:23

I would invite 3NT and show a club suit (however we do that) but it's quite close to just blasting 3NT.

5 could be right sometimes but I'm not going to try for it because the hand is not strong enough to make 11 tricks in most cases and I don't like my heart holding for a suit contract.

#3 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 15:37

3NT
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:21

adv/expert bidding problem...lol

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:23

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-January-02, 16:21, said:

adv/expert bidding problem...lol

Perhaps too easy for adv/exp players. But it wasn't as easy and same for world champ/ multiple times nationals winner players. Since there were supporters of both blasting or inviting with ;)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2011-January-02, 17:10

3n
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   MarkDean 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-02, 17:20

I bid game.

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-03, 05:55

3NT on grounds that hcp are located and under the strong NT hand.

#9 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-03, 07:40

Invitational with clubs would not be unreasonable. I would probably just bid 3NT though.
Michael Askgaard

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-03, 13:37

I would definetely bid 3 NT also.

My reasons are;

-This hand is much better than a 4432 regular 9 hcp.

-1 NT overcalls are different than opening 1 NT, i see them stronger than std 1 NT opening, due to 1NT overcaller has position advantage and his honors are well placed on the opening suit which we wouldn't know if it was not an NT overcall but a NT opener. Defense has less communication and declarer knows who has the cards. Not even mentioning 18 hcps are included in 1 NT overcall for a lot of players.

-How much of a help do we want from pd in suit ? Is Jx a help ? Does it worth to alert opponents of a 6 cards suit so they judge better what to lead and go for an unexpected agressive lead ? If this hand is making or going down depending on lead, blasting will certainly increase our chances imo.

In the original deal, worldclass player choosed to invite via suit and passed when pd denied help. 3 was down 1 while 3 NT was down 2. Big deal.

1 opener had 9 hcp with AQJx off side. Pd had no position advantage in suit with his AKQ . And his pd leading from AJxxxx in 3 NT. Now if we put that A to the opener's hand and make less unfriendly, like AQxx or AJxx offside, 3 NT was still cold with pd holding 8x .

What surprised me most was, same pair who was so picky bidding this game, bid 2 slams in same match missing 2 aces, without asking rkcb, blasted and went down.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users