• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another atb game swing in, but good slam missed

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-30, 22:17

]

we bid the first way to 5, making no effort to bid our good looking slam. fortunately opp team made even less effort to investigate than we did and went off in the mayor's despite south making a free 3 bid.

what's to be done?

oops corrected bidding

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-October-30, 22:22

I'm not sure there is a lot of blame to go around. South might choose 3N over 3 and now, when partner pulls to 4, this shows primary diamond support...and S's hand, previoulsy flawed by the poor quality of the diamonds, grows up enough to bid 4..which, I think, makes N go to slam.

Having said that, I can sympathize with the decision to bid 4...I think I'd have bid 3N, but maybe I'm being swayed by seeing both hands.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-October-31, 03:35

We'd bid:

1-(1)-2-(2)-X()-(P)-2N(rev leb)-(P)-3(semi forced)-(P-)3(forcing raise, prob 3 cards)

Where it goes from there is anybody's guess, but it's quite conceivable that it will simply proceed with keycard and bidding the slam opposite 3 key cards.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 05:15

I think north should bid 3 over 3, that is, if its forcing for you (on second auction it would be for me). There is no point on cubidding when you have a descriptive bid avaible, specially if its cheaper. Of course if 3 is not forcing you are a bit stuck.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-October-31, 06:06

On the first auction, South must have been feeling that he hadn't really shown his hand. He'd have bid the same way with xxx x KJ10xx AKxx. However, it's hard to see what he could have done differently once he'd decided to pass over 2.

Maybe that's where the problem lies. If passing 2 is often a balanced hand, maybe opener should stretch to bid 3 on this.

Even better would be to play transfers by opener here. 2NT has no great value as a natural bid when you have pass available.

On the second auction, North should have done more, obviously. It's not at all surprising to find that 3NT is a worse contract than 6.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 06:52

bad luck mostly for the table that bid 3NT
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users