BBO Discussion Forums: No good bid available - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No good bid available

Poll: What is your bid? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your bid?

1. 2 spade (18 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. 3 club (1 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

3. 3 diamond (1 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

4. 3NT (13 votes [26.00%])

Percentage of vote: 26.00%

5. 4 club (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. 5 club (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. other (17 votes [34.00%])

Percentage of vote: 34.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-October-08, 12:26

I think I pass. With a bit of luck pard will dbl this :)

#22 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-08, 14:09

I hate double (and passing hoping partner will double).

In my experience doubles with undisclosed primary support for partner's suit work out very poorly. This is especially so at low levels and against competent opponents.

I am just going to cue-bid spades to show a decent raise. The real decision may come on the next round.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#23 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-08, 23:31

The only flaw of Dbl for penalty is that I have too many clubs, but nothing else makes even moderate sense. The vote options are geared toward exploring game, I would just forget about that.

#24 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-09, 00:49

peachy, on Oct 9 2010, 06:31 PM, said:

The only flaw of Dbl for penalty is that I have too many clubs, but nothing else makes even moderate sense. The vote options are geared toward exploring game, I would just forget about that.

We can easily have game.

For example opposite:

xx
Qxxx
xx
AKQxx

Which is just a middle of the road overcall we have play for 9 tricks.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#25 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2010-October-09, 00:53

2 and 3NT if partner signs off.

Expect partner to make a move with AKQxx + an ace or AKxxxx + an ace.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#26 User is offline   TheoKole 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Strategy Games, Reading, Weightlifting, Skiing, Singing

Posted 2010-October-09, 09:51

I don't think that there is much to think about here.

Double and lead a trump.

If partner does not lead a trump when he gets in, he better not have one to lead, then play accordingly when you see the dummy.

If his partner corrects to spades, do the same thing on defense.

Once you have gotten as many trumps out of the hands as possible, try to tap the declarer, for the rest of his trumps. Declarer will be trying to score as many tricks as he can on a crossruff on this hand and you must stop him.

It is a real wonder why so many people are unwilling to double low level contracts like this with a trump stack and defensive tricks.

If your partner takes out your double he better have a damn fine hand, and I would explore slam in clubs.

Just my thoughts,

Theo

#27 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2010-October-10, 03:44

I'm not quite sure how the auction can make much sense, but opener must have something like 5440, 5350, maybe 5251 and that's pretty long shot as I assume responder strains to bid something with seven card hearts. Of course partner might have some lousy 4 hearts and six clubs.

Anyways I'm counting on 6 club tricks and that responder always leads his partner's suit :D 3NT.

#28 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-October-10, 21:12

dake50, on Oct 8 2010, 09:46 AM, said:

I already had a bid over 1S to deny interest in hearts (that would be T/O dbl) ...
Partner did not double to get hearts in consideration

Your takeout doubles deny the unbid major in the direct seat and show it in the balancing seat?
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#29 User is offline   Viren169 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-October-11, 01:41

2N is usually redundant in competitive sequences, and I have played 2N as as showing a good raise to 3 with 4 card support. It has worked like a treat for me for many years.

#30 User is offline   Hennen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-October-29, 17:43

Where are the hearts?? Between them W and N seem to have 9 hearts, possibly even 10. Partner presumably has 4 hearts, so for his bid of 2 clubs (as opposed to X) I take the clubs to be 6 cards long. (We don't double with xx Jxxx x AKJxxx, or do we? 2 by pard would fix us as bidding 3 next would imply a bigger hand.)
With a 10-card fit I will not contemplate defending. Even if partner has as little as Qxx(x) and AJxxxx (and I expect him to be better than that) 3NT looks a good contract because W has no entry to his heart suit and there is ample time to develop tricks. If N has clubs good enough to be played for no loser, 3NT is cold. Also with Kx or Qx in E 3NT is cold even with no more than Jxxx in N.
Against all this, if N has running clubs and no honour we would be better off in 5 , losing just two Aces, although there is concern for a ruff.
So can we find out about partner's stopper? After eg. 2 , he might bid a 4-card irrespective of quality, or rebid clubs that are not solid while holding Kxx or Qxx . We cannot really expect him to distinguish between Qxxx and 109xx.
Partner needs AKJxxx or better to guarantee no loser. This combined with a possible ruff makes bidding 5 too risky. Cashing 2 aces is too easy.
3NT is what i will bid because it seems to give the most practical chances, one of them being that W - who has no entry - does not automatically lead a : his pard did bid two other suits...
Slam seems unlikely as E rates to have 2 Aces for his bidding. (E could conceivably bid 2 times with AJ9xx KQx J9xxx - . If N has solid clubs + an Ace he might continue anyway.)

Of course, the post mortem will be unpleasant if partner's hand turns out to be xx 87x xx AKQxxx.
Also, if 1) E appears with a 5440 distribution and 2) W happens to lead a killing , I will fully take the blame. <_<

#31 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 10:50

View PostFluffy, on 2010-October-08, 09:51, said:

I love double, partner will take it as take out, bid his hearts and take my later club bids as cuebids.

Correct, X is 4441 not 4144 certainly the way we play. I'd probably have borrowed a point and made a revolting 1N overcall to avoid this problem, but now I have to bid 2 as a good club raise.

Btw I disagree with the initial assertion that the / bidder needs both aces, it's possible he has AJ9xx, KQx, J9xxx, void or similar (maybe even 5260), and partner has x, Jxxx, Ax, AKJxxx.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users