BBO Discussion Forums: This auction went to hell in a hurry - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This auction went to hell in a hurry

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2010-September-06, 00:59

Scoring: MP

P-(P)-1-(1),
1-(2)-?

Playing 2/1 with an advanced partner, agreements include support doubles. Hidden follow-up:

Spoiler

Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 02:31

2. Even if I wanted to force to game, it's better to start with 2, because that allows for both finding a spade fit and finding a diamond stop.

When partner bids 2NT, I'll go quietly with 3. We have lots of high cards but not many tricks, and he's quite likely to have a low doubleton diamond.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2010-September-06, 02:52

Agree with 2S, It tend to suggest a more unbalanced hand but here 4S in 43 fit is possible. Also 5C seems a long way home.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 06:23

2 looks like the best lie
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-September-06, 06:41

I think about passing. Partner did not double, so we may have no fit anywhere.

If this is passed around to him, he may repeat a six card heart suit in which case I will try to find a making game.

But if he passes (most likely case), I hope that my defence is good enough to beat 2 while there is no security that any possible is found if I bid now.

I think about a 3532 as quite a likely possibility if partner cannot act over 2.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 09:04

gnasher, on Sep 6 2010, 03:31 AM, said:

2. Even if I wanted to force to game, it's better to start with 2, because that allows for both finding a spade fit and finding a diamond stop.

When partner bids 2NT, I'll go quietly with 3. We have lots of high cards but not many tricks, and he's quite likely to have a low doubleton diamond.

2S shows 5+ clubs right? So I have no clue why we would rebid our 4-card club suit after partner bids 2NT!

Also, 2S in competition should not promise the near game-force that an uncontested Canadian reverse promises. For example, with AKxx xx x AQJxxx I think it would be pretty strange not to bid 2S over 2D. With that hand I'd bid 2S followed by 3C in fact.

I know I'm using one of the rare times that gnasher is way off, to avoid answering the original question which is pretty nasty. I love support doubles but I hate them here.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#7 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 09:22

If 2NT is an artificial bid to sign off, then I don't think 3 shows any more clubs than we have already shown. How else could partner sign off in clubs?
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 09:37

hanp, on Sep 6 2010, 10:04 AM, said:

gnasher, on Sep 6 2010, 03:31 AM, said:

2.  Even if I wanted to force to game, it's better to start with 2, because that allows for both finding a spade fit and finding a diamond stop.

When partner bids 2NT, I'll go quietly with 3.  We have lots of high cards but not many tricks, and he's quite likely to have a low doubleton diamond.

2S shows 5+ clubs right? So I have no clue why we would rebid our 4-card club suit after partner bids 2NT!

Also, 2S in competition should not promise the near game-force that an uncontested Canadian reverse promises. For example, with AKxx xx x AQJxxx I think it would be pretty strange not to bid 2S over 2D. With that hand I'd bid 2S followed by 3C in fact.

I know I'm using one of the rare times that gnasher is way off, to avoid answering the original question which is pretty nasty. I love support doubles but I hate them here.

Common to play lebensohl or "black out" here I think.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 09:44

cherdanno, on Sep 6 2010, 09:22 AM, said:

If 2NT is an artificial bid to sign off, then I don't think 3 shows any more clubs than we have already shown. How else could partner sign off in clubs?

Yep. We were under pressure with 2S, so sure we might have had one more club. But that train has left the station, and in cooperation with Leben 2NT, we are not going to compound the problem with 3D and show more HCP than we have, too.

Leben is only in effect because of the interference, here. If we had freely jumped to 2S/1H, everything would be different.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 10:20

Do I have to read hidden parts to understand a gnasher post these days?

#11 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-07, 09:48

X

this should show extra values and is by far the most flexible. This allows p to rebid 2h with minimum (even if they have only 5) as maybe our last makeable spot.

2s should be saved for hands with unbalanced distribution. Our hand is much better on defense than offense.

responder did not neg x but chose 1h probably beacuse they dont have 4 spades or their 5+ hearts are vastly superior to their 4 tiny spades. Missing a 44 spade fit not so important since we wont have game if p is minimum. if P has some extra values they can hazard a 2s bid and then we can strongly consider 4s as a contract.

#12 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-07, 09:58

By the way, is 2NT here lebensohl because that's what's being played without competition? Or does the partnership use 2NT in this way because they play good/bad?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users