Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Run the clubs

#1 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-June-14, 19:01

One of our Directors has had this situation occur twice in the last week - players have said "run the clubs" and then found that the suit did not split as they thought. Her ruling was that they should continue to run the clubs but my understanding is that the player can STOP running the club at any stage - however, I cannot find a Law to support my understanding. I'm sure I have seen it somewhere. Help please.
Australia

#2 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-June-14, 19:08

While the EBU White book has no force outside England or Wales, I do advise people who want questions like this answered to keep a copy on their computer. It can be downloaded from EBU White book 2010.

This not only tells you that you are right, declarer is not forced to continue running the clubs, but also gives a reference to the WBFLC minute saying so. See #46.1 and #46.2.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#3 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-June-14, 19:34

Chris3875, on Jun 14 2010, 08:01 PM, said:

One of our Directors has had this situation occur twice in the last week - players have said "run the clubs" and then found that the suit did not split as they thought. Her ruling was that they should continue to run the clubs but my understanding is that the player can STOP running the club at any stage - however, I cannot find a Law to support my understanding. I'm sure I have seen it somewhere. Help please.

Upon reading L68A one ought to draw the conclusion that "run the clubs" satisfies the conditions of a claim.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-14, 19:45

Perhaps so, but if the WBFLC agreed with you, their minute would not read as it does.

Suppose declarer instructs dummy to “run the clubs”. Declarer may change this instruction at a later trick, and a card from dummy may be changed until declarer’s RHO plays to the trick. At this point the card becomes played. Note that the Committee does not approve of the procedure of declarer naming several cards simultaneously in this fashion.

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users