BBO Discussion Forums: Missed grand in last round of NA Swiss - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missed grand in last round of NA Swiss Who's to blame?

Poll: I blame (31 member(s) have cast votes)

I blame

1. North (27 votes [87.10%])

Percentage of vote: 87.10%

2. South (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

3. East (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. West (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-March-24, 16:30

North

AJx 98xx AKJ9xx -

South

KQ97xxx AKJ - QTx

Uncontested auction (starting with N.)

1 - 1
2 - 3
3 - 3
5 - 6
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2010-March-24, 19:09

I blame North. Choosing to show his 98xx heart suit instead of AJx spade support made this auction impossible. I mean, if N had simply bid 3 like a human, he probably hears a 4 cue-bid next (better than a 4 cuebid, as I don't think you should cue-bid shortness in the suit partner has bid naturally twice), and N can simply key card, knowing that S doesn't have the A of clubs. When S shows the K of hearts and the Q of spades after the Q ask, N would know that 7 spades has to have good play opposite his diamond suit and club void if S was good enough to cue-bid without direct minor suit controls.
Chris Gibson

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-March-24, 20:12

I agree 100%. When in doubt, show support. I mean, this shouldn't be doubt, but if you actually are a lunatic and have doubt, agree spades. Life is easier when trumps are agreed.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2010-March-24, 20:46

WTF, when did N even ascertain the situation?
Kevin Fay

#5 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-24, 22:00

I almost posted something real nasty, then deleted it. Let the votes speak for themselves.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-24, 22:33

hate 3h prefer 3s

with that said.......I can understand missing 7s/

I think forum voters are a bit harsh here.....bidding 7 is not easy at the table.

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-25, 00:49

As much as I agree with everyone else who has posted here, what can 5 be taken as but GSF? Then 7 gets bid, and this post doesn't happen. North takes more of the blame, but South gets a little bit of it from me.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-25, 00:53

5 isn't GSF, how could it be when he has xxxx of hearts? That being said south should have known to bid the grand over 5. But the worst bid was 3 because it's such an elementary and obvious situation.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#9 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-March-25, 02:13

I do not understand the system they play, but here is my guess:

1 1 nice
2 I seldom raise with just 3 cards, but here, I would easily.
3 I guess NMF ?
3 Maybe they play a style where 2 instead of 3 had been nonforcing, so he had to show his 4 hearts first?
3 now sends the message: Forcing with spades
If I got it right so far, they are endplayed. North has a great hand, but no clear bid to show it.

Had I been here, I had been satisfied by reaching 6 .

So I blame south- for not raising with his 3460 shape directly and for the blunder to bid 3 .Even if partner is 5/4 in th majors, spades will often play much better her then hearts. You can ruff with the short hand and/ or you have a long suit to park the losers.

And as others said: It is possible (but not certain) to reach 7 after you showed your support at a better level.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 02:36

Hi,

#1 3S instead of 3H is clear cut, sry - what is 3H?
#2 I dont think that it is easy to find the grand, because
one needs to communicate the void in clubs, which
may be easier, if north had bid 2H instead of 3C, but
maybe 2H was systemic not possible.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-March-25, 03:27

In the US, what is the sequence 1D-1S-2D-3S played as ?

We play 1D-1S-2D-2S as constructive NF, so 3S is GF with a bit to spare (but suit or hand unsuitable for strong jump shift) and solves the problem.

1D-1S
2D-3S
4C-4H (Cuebidding style 1st or 2nd)
5C-5D (5D is a short type control, or would have bid 4D last time)
6D-6H (6D will be the ace after the 5D bid, 6H must be checking trumps as everything else there, would have bid 7 himself if trumps were great)
7S

I also hate bidding 3C on this sort of hand just because nothing is forcing. To get round this we play 2H as a relay over 1D-1/2suit-2D, but if you simply agree that it's nat/forcing it's got to be better than 3C here.

1D-1S
2D-2H
3H-3S
4S

Now it's slightly awkward how to proceed, if partner is going to show 2 aces, blackwood is good, and also your void showing arrangements in blackwood are important here. If he's going to show one and has no way of showing one + void, then you can't use it.

Clearly ...4N-6C-7S gets you there, it's more awkward if you can't use blackwood.

... 5H
6C-6H
?S

Is how it may well finish, and opener may not wish to blast 7 opposite a trump suit of unknown quality, unlike the 3S auction where partner's spades are already known to be long and at least adequate.

I hate the 3C bid and hate 3H at least as much (3S looks normal to me). If you play 2H and 3S NF over 2D, you have a problem, get a new system.

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-March-25, 04:38

preempting yourself with 3 when 2 was avaible and was a better description didn't help much, but I understand some people who think bridge is a partscore game play this as no forcing.

bidding 3 is LOL, north didn't want to show hearts, he wanted to ASK ABOUT STOPPER! lol. Such a masterminder.

#13 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 05:37

Who knows that this auction showed, for me 2H would have been forcing(how can it not be) and I prefer that over 3C big time. So for N to introduce H at the 3 level is a joke, I just do not get it. The 3C bid mentioned in this post as NMF just makes no sense, 3C in this position creates a GF. Are players really suggesting that with invitational hands we drive to the 3 level on what might be a poor fitting hand?

Out of 100% blame N gets 1000. As for reaching the grand, that would be the least of my concerns after seeing this auction.

#14 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-March-25, 06:19

mcphee, on Mar 25 2010, 08:37 PM, said:

Who knows that this auction showed, for me 2H would have been forcing(how can it not be) and I prefer that over 3C big time. So for N to introduce H at the 3 level is a joke, I just do not get it. The 3C bid mentioned in this post as NMF just makes no sense, 3C in this position creates a GF. Are players really suggesting that with invitational hands we drive to the 3 level on what might be a poor fitting hand?

Out of 100% blame N gets 1000. As for reaching the grand, that would be the least of my concerns after seeing this auction.

What is your rant about nmf? New minor forcing says, that the bid of a new minor (here club) is forcing. English is not so difficult after all. And nobody stated that nmf is just inivitational at the 3. level.

According 2 . YWe may discuss whether or not this bid should be forcing or not. But I know for sure that there are several partnerships who play it non forcing, so this is a possibility.

So you think the bidding was a joke, I try to understand it and interprete it in a way so that it makes sense.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#15 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-25, 08:16

I agree with Gibson ( and Ken and the rest ).... about not showing A J x support first.

Also, after Opener's rebid of his minor, "cheapest new suit forcing" ( 2H! ) works better than 3C!
because of the saved bidding space :

1D - 1S
2D - 2H!
2S - 4C! ( splinter )
4NT - 5NT ( 2 + Cl-void )
6C* ( next step = sQ-ask) - 6D ( sQ + dK )

7S [ hopefully able to sluff 2 ( of 4 ) losers on dAK and ruff remaining 2 losers without an overruff ]

So, eventho it works here, I'd probably just wimp out with 6S after 5NT.
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )

#16 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2010-March-25, 09:56

I just want to say that the 2 bidders also potentially create a problem - I mean, it is forcing the way I play, but it is forcing and natural, meaning that partner will (correctly) support hearts, allowing for maximum ruffing with his bad trumps in the presumed 4-4 fit. But if 2 is forcing and natural, then there is even less excuse for N's flight of fancy with 3 - That cannot be what partner is asking about with 3.
Chris Gibson

#17 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 23:46

I was South fwiw. I loathe pard's auction (though not as much as his worst sequence of the round) but wonder if I still should have gotten it right. They found it at the other table.

Opponent on lead asked what 5 shows and I ended up calling the director because he didn't want to take 'no agreement' for an answer. Was glad the lead didn't matter but would have been nice to find the grand (finished tied for 23rd instead of 18th, not a huge difference but something.)
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-March-26, 02:32

Codo, on Mar 25 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

What is your rant about nmf? New minor forcing says, that the bid of a new minor (here club) is forcing. English is not so difficult after all.

English may not be difficult, but bridge terminology sometimes is. "New Minor Forcing" doesn't just mean that it's a new minor and it's forcing. It means that it's a new minor, it's foricng, and it's artificial.

Using this 3 as an artificial force is playable (though it's better to use 2), but I'm sure that when it was bid at the table it was intended as natural.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users