BBO Discussion Forums: Competitive auction from Silidor Qualifier - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Competitive auction from Silidor Qualifier

Poll: Double down or Surrender ? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Double down or Surrender ?

1. Pass (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Double(Penalty) (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Double(Negative) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 2nt(Natural) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:05

Scoring: MP

1nt(15-17)-2s(S+m)-?

You're West. You play doubles at the 2-level as Penalty. When a major suit bid is natural, even if it includes another suit, you play 2nt as Lebensohl, so 2nt is not an option here. But I'll include it here just in case someone plays it as natural and furthermore thinks that 2nt is right for them. Likewise if someone plays double of 2s as Negative and if they think this is the right hand for it (unlikely), you can exercise that choice.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:09

I wouldn't x for penalty with 0 controls, but it could work out of course, they will often go down.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:16

If it were one-suited spades, the penalty X would be obvious. Here, the main downside of the double is that it 3m is likely to play two tricks better than 2S.

I am doubling anyway. At least that way if we get lucky and they are in trouble in 3m, partner won't be afraid to double that too.

#4 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:34

I'd just pass.
OK
bed

#5 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:37

I would make a penalty double so that if they bid 3, partner can hit it with the appropriate hand.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:40

Double. It's our hand and they stepped in at the wrong time.

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:42

Why do I even want partner to hit 3? Don't I have no tricks?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-March-23, 14:52

yeah, pass, double might alert them that they better play in another suit

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2010-March-23, 15:32

Hi,

since I play X as pen., thats what I will bid.
The only downside is, that the X may generate a forcing Pass seq.,
but than at least we have the bal. of power, and they are playing on
the 3 level, with only a 8 card fit.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-23, 15:36

Unless of course it's a 9 card fit.

#11 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-March-24, 01:02

jdonn, on Mar 24 2010, 06:36 AM, said:

Unless of course it's a 9 card fit.

Maybe even a double fit...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#12 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 16:40

The full hand turns out to be:

Scoring: MP

I am all for getting in over 1nt when non-vul, but I must say that's one of the worst overcalls I have ever seen. The limited high cards you have are in short suits and to think of your clubs as a suit is a bad joke, but one that works on this hand. The best that EW can do on this hand is defend 2 for -1 for Avg-. When partner doubled, and I have a lot of sympathy for his action, North bid 2nt for minors and they found their club fit and I could not help doubling that with 4 Aces. Had my spot been the 9 instead of 6, a trump lead/shift holds 3 to 8 tricks. When partner led the Q, I tried a low trump hoping partner had the stiff 9, and that declarer had overcalled on QJxxx Kx Q 7xxxx which honestly is a better overcall than the given hand. If my partner had the stiff 9 of s, my trump gets promoted eventually for -2. But on this hand, 3 was cold.

Most Souths pass this hand including jdonn's opponents, who in addition let him/his partner make 8 tricks in 1nt. Here're the MPs in our 3 section comparison (approximately the same elsewhere) on a 38 top.

1nt = +90 =====> 15

1nt +1, +120 =====> 34

1s -1, +50 =====> 13

3c=, -110 ======> 3

3xX=, -470 ======> -
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-25, 16:48

sathyab, on Mar 25 2010, 05:40 PM, said:

Most Souths pass this hand including jdonn's opponents, who in addition let him/his partner make 8 tricks in 1nt.

I think you are mixing us up with a different pair, we weren't actually in your session that round. But my story on this hand is not happy either. After 1NT pass I made the perhaps questionable decision to respond stayman and hope for a fit, which north doubled. When partner bid 2 and south bid 3 I thought 3 by me was just competitive but partner thought it was invitational and bid game. So the combination of all the decisions sent our score on a ride approximately like this: +90, +110, -110, -100, and finally to -200 for a big fat 0 of our own. Well not quite as fat as yours but just as useful. :rolleyes:

#14 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 16:51

I voted Pass originally and still voting pass with the given hand. Take the plus that is coming (if it is coming) and don't drive them to a better fit (if they have one). After 2S was foolishly doubled for penalty, it is not a crime - just a misdemeanor - by E to Double 3C. Afterall, it is normal to expect a penalty double to contain some trump tricks as well as other stuff. However, spade tricks in a club contract are not going to do much for us.
The 2S bidder gambled and won.

#15 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 16:59

jdonn, on Mar 25 2010, 05:48 PM, said:

Most Souths pass this hand including jdonn's opponents, who in addition let him/his partner make 8 tricks in 1nt.

I think you are mixing us up with a different pair, we weren't actually in your session that round. But my story on this hand is not happy either. After 1NT pass I made the perhaps questionable decision to respond stayman and hope for a fit, which north doubled. When partner bid 2 and south bid 3 I thought 3 by me was just competitive but partner thought it was invitational and bid game. So the combination of all the decisions sent our score on a ride approximately like this: +90, +110, -110, -100, and finally to -200 for a big fat 0 of our own. Well not quite as fat as yours but just as useful. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the mix-up.

A while ago Larry Cohen was recommending Stayman on a similar hand, the theory being that the hand is pure and ought to play better in 2M if there's a fit (he was hoping to pass a 2 response from partner which may not at all work well, but that's the risk he takes I suppose). The most questionable bid is overcalling with the South hand and that of course is the one that gets the most reward.

#16 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 17:07

peachy, on Mar 25 2010, 05:51 PM, said:

I voted Pass originally and still voting pass with the given hand.  Take the plus that is coming (if it is coming) and don't drive them to a better fit (if they have one).  After 2S was foolishly doubled for penalty, it is not a crime - just a misdemeanor - by E to Double 3C.  Afterall, it is normal to expect a penalty double to contain some trump tricks as well as other stuff.  However, spade tricks in a club contract are not going to do much for us.

Let me get this: doubling 2 is foolish, doubling 3 thereafter is a misdemeanor but not a crime (thanks in advance for accepting my plea-bargain). But South merely "gambled" and won. Wow.

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2010-March-25, 17:19

jdonn, on Mar 25 2010, 04:48 PM, said:

100 percent blame to opener for thinking that stayman and then a raise was invitational.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-25, 17:32

100% credit to aquahombre for learning the ways of jdonn sarcasm.

#19 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 17:33

peachy, on Mar 25 2010, 05:51 PM, said:

I voted Pass originally and still voting pass with the given hand.  Take the plus that is coming (if it is coming) and don't drive them to a better fit (if they have one).  After 2S was foolishly doubled for penalty, it is not a crime - just a misdemeanor - by E to Double 3C.  Afterall, it is normal to expect a penalty double to contain some trump tricks as well as other stuff.  However, spade tricks in a club contract are not going to do much for us.

Doubling 3C with the 4 aces is automatic (after partner showed "values" by hitting 2S).
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#20 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-25, 18:22

Our auction went 1NT - All Pass.

It crossed my mind to bid "Gambling Stayman", but decided to pass. Partner thought 2 would be the normal contract (not sure why) and played for 8 tricks. I didn't watch the play (as I normally try to tune out while dummy) and he made 8 tricks. Sorry I cannot enlighten anyone on the play. But I think we were in Sathya's section, so that accounts for the result.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users