#341 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-10, 15:06

View PostLurpoa, on 2012-September-06, 00:13, said:

Yes,
know that i used to comment a lot - always constructive and polite, nobody can tell anything else - but a couple a members - I will not name them now, management knows - started harassing me, just because I was using some !H symbols in my posts.

I can "tell anything else": you started a personal vendetta against any posts that were deemed inappropriate by you (chiefly "agree with ..." and shortish posts, but also some posts that you did not understand), replying with vacuous, repetitive, pointless questions (surrounded by heart symbols) that have nevertheless been answered in the beginning. Later this turned into you religiously downvoting all such posts, once downvotes were turned on. No, you were not always constructive and polite (neither was I, or most posters who got involved, but that's beside the point right now). Antrax and sathyab, among others, have indeed tried and succeeded raising the issue of short posts et al in a constructive and polite way (I personally do not think it is an issue but OK), in stark contrast to your passive-aggressive, hypocritical, obnoxious campaign.

Anyway I hope mods do create a different thread for this derailing and if not then please delete this post.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#342 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-10, 16:16

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-10, 15:00, said:

We moderators have been accused of being unfair, removing you-know-who's posts while allowing others to get away with similar behavior.

So, we can say it's the size that counts, not what we do with it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#343 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-September-11, 12:25

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-10, 15:06, said:

I can "tell anything else": you started a personal vendetta against any posts that were deemed inappropriate by you (chiefly "agree with ..." and shortish posts, but also some posts that you did not understand), replying with vacuous, repetitive, pointless questions (surrounded by heart symbols) that have nevertheless been answered in the beginning. Later this turned into you religiously downvoting all such posts, once downvotes were turned on. No, you were not always constructive and polite (neither was I, or most posters who got involved, but that's beside the point right now). Antrax and sathyab, among others, have indeed tried and succeeded raising the issue of short posts et al in a constructive and polite way (I personally do not think it is an issue but OK), in stark contrast to your passive-aggressive, hypocritical, obnoxious campaign.

Anyway I hope mods do create a different thread for this derailing and if not then please delete this post.

So, what is wrong with those hearts ?

Bob Herreman

#344 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-12, 08:54

View PostLurpoa, on 2012-September-11, 12:25, said:

You do it ALL THE TIME. It's like shouting "look at me, aren't my posts so cute?" They're totally meaningless -- hearts mean "love", but what love could you have possibly intended in this post?

Also, you put a whole bunch of them in, and you surround them with several blank lines. What should be a one-line post turns into 7 or 8.

All these things seem minor, and I know it sounds petty for us to punish you for it. If you only did it occasionally, it wouldn't be a big deal. But you're so obsessive about it, and it adds up to a real annoyance. And then when you argue that you should be allowed to do it, you don't ingratiate yourself to the moderators.

I have really tried to be diplomatic with you. I know you mean well, but you simply don't get it. I have told you in numerous private conversations that your style of posting is considered annoying, but you insist on ignoring us, and now you've taken this public. FYI, none of the BBO managers you've written to about my behavior have said anything to me about it, so I guess they support my position. I think you're running out of appeals.

I don't like being draconian, but on several occasions I have thought about banning you from the forum. If I just wanted to save Ben and myself a lot of bother, I would. But your behavior is not so eggregious that I can justify it. I just wish you would take the hint and post like a normal person, and stop reporting every little sarcastic remark as "impolite".

#345 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-September-12, 22:36

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-12, 08:54, said:

You do it ALL THE TIME. It's like shouting "look at me, aren't my posts so cute?" They're totally meaningless -- hearts mean "love", but what love could you have possibly intended in this post?

Also, you put a whole bunch of them in, and you surround them with several blank lines. What should be a one-line post turns into 7 or 8.

All these things seem minor, and I know it sounds petty for us to punish you for it. If you only did it occasionally, it wouldn't be a big deal. But you're so obsessive about it, and it adds up to a real annoyance. And then when you argue that you should be allowed to do it, you don't ingratiate yourself to the moderators.

I have really tried to be diplomatic with you. I know you mean well, but you simply don't get it. I have told you in numerous private conversations that your style of posting is considered annoying, but you insist on ignoring us, and now you've taken this public. FYI, none of the BBO managers you've written to about my behavior have said anything to me about it, so I guess they support my position. I think you're running out of appeals.

I don't like being draconian, but on several occasions I have thought about banning you from the forum. If I just wanted to save Ben and myself a lot of bother, I would. But your behavior is not so eggregious that I can justify it. I just wish you would take the hint and post like a normal person, and stop reporting every little sarcastic remark as "impolite".

Do I really have to charm the moderators ?

Just trying to add some colour.
And really what is wrong with that ?
Just trying to improve things, never I insulted someone, as some of the above posts do !

How many meaningless contributions are made here ?
Or worse, links to YouTube, with the intention to insult people.
What you call "sarcastic", might be "insulting" for others... don't forget that.

A sarcastic ??? Could that be possible ?

A or a blank line can says more than a 100 miss-used and insulting words.

It is clear to me: a small group of persons is allowed to insult the whole community, and all the others have to keep quiet.

Yes, it is petty. Do I really have to charm the moderators ?
Is that the only way to make yourself heard here ?

What is really wrong with a ?
Bob Herreman

#346 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-September-13, 02:59

The problem with hearts is that the opponents often like to bid over them with spades. :(
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#347 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-13, 05:00

I said nothing about hearts. I do not think I would mind having Michael Rosenberg posting his analysis on some bridge hands here on BBF accompanied by a few hearts on top and bottom. But please understand that there is a big difference between that and you posting

you said:

WHY?

About tens of times and acting like it's a good thing to do so. It was quite obvious that you were not interested in the "why" question but were simply acting like a self-proclaimed, unsolicited police officer for a problem that most people did not ultimately regard as harmful. I do not think this is "polite and constructive". I'm not quite sure what it is but it did not add much to the forums. The little hearts and the different font just made it all the more annoying for some reason, I'm not sure why. You found a magic mix of pointless questions, strange font and inexplicable heart symbols that is optimal for getting on people's nerves.
      George Carlin

#348 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 06:50

I have a feeling that someone may soon have to modify the "notice of thread/post moderation" thread. This will lead to an unfortunate recursion which will lead to the end of BBForums.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#349 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 07:41

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-September-13, 06:50, said:

I have a feeling that someone may soon have to modify the "notice of thread/post moderation" thread. This will lead to an unfortunate recursion which will lead to the end of BBForums.

It is Russel's library paradox all over again. :(
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#350 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-September-14, 01:40

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-13, 05:00, said:

I said nothing about hearts. I do not think I would mind having Michael Rosenberg posting his analysis on some bridge hands here on BBF accompanied by a few hearts on top and bottom. But please understand that there is a big difference between that and you posting

About tens of times and acting like it's a good thing to do so. It was quite obvious that you were not interested in the "why" question but were simply acting like a self-proclaimed, unsolicited police officer for a problem that most people did not ultimately regard as harmful. I do not think this is "polite and constructive". I'm not quite sure what it is but it did not add much to the forums. The little hearts and the different font just made it all the more annoying for some reason, I'm not sure why. You found a magic mix of pointless questions, strange font and inexplicable heart symbols that is optimal for getting on people's nerves.

Did you delete the quote, preceding my, question ?
Probably you did.

Yes, it is Magic, thank you.

No, all my posts are constructive. THINK .
And I have never insulted somebody.

Bob Herreman

#351 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-16, 04:41

I have never complained or reported any post from anyone other than some obvious spam, but now you are explicitly asking the question.
Your style of posting is really, really, irritating.
It's not just the hearts, it's the combination of non-standard font + lots of extra blank lines + the hearts takes up so much pointless space on the screen for absolutely no benefit other than wasting time.
The non-standard font I admit takes up the same amount of space, but it is off-putting.

You might be reading this and thinking it's irrational and pointless to complain about such a minor thing, but you asked, and I'm clearly not alone in finding it detracts from my enjoyment.

If it were only in the signature it wouldn't be so bad, because as a matter of principle I generally have 'view signatures' turned off for everyone. I think they are just a waste of space; other people don't but the forum software enables all of us to be happy.

This is completely independent of whether or not you say anything that I actually want to read.

Edit: From reading this thread I've discovered that I can 'ignore' posts by a particular user, so I've done that. The forum software does still enable us all to the happy!

This post has been edited by FrancesHinden: 2012-September-16, 04:44

#352 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-16, 05:28

I did not delete anything Lurpoa, it happens always if I quote your post (you should know-you did a LOT of quoting yourself, including your last post). There is no conspiracy. And no, using hearts does not automatically make rude, abrasive, childish, impertinent, unreasonable, never-ending questions polite or constructive.
      George Carlin

#353 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-16, 05:50

pro tip: use a mobile browser. Fonts and colours are both disabled, and the interface does not look like a parrot.
      George Carlin

#354 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-16, 06:01

I'll bite: how is an interface like a parrot?

#355 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-16, 06:05

Too many colours, not remotely in harmony. The mobile version is smoothly blue/gray.
      George Carlin

#356 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-September-17, 08:17

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-16, 04:41, said:

I have never complained or reported any post from anyone other than some obvious spam, but now you are explicitly asking the question.
Your style of posting is really, really, irritating.
It's not just the hearts, it's the combination of non-standard font + lots of extra blank lines + the hearts takes up so much pointless space on the screen for absolutely no benefit other than wasting time.
The non-standard font I admit takes up the same amount of space, but it is off-putting.

You might be reading this and thinking it's irrational and pointless to complain about such a minor thing, but you asked, and I'm clearly not alone in finding it detracts from my enjoyment.

If it were only in the signature it wouldn't be so bad, because as a matter of principle I generally have 'view signatures' turned off for everyone. I think they are just a waste of space; other people don't but the forum software enables all of us to be happy.

This is completely independent of whether or not you say anything that I actually want to read.

Edit: From reading this thread I've discovered that I can 'ignore' posts by a particular user, so I've done that. The forum software does still enable us all to the happy!

Irritating isn't it ???
But you found the solution .... I am glad for you.
It is bad to get irritated.

Another suggestion: could the Editor-software, be deleted. Then we could all use the same Fonts.
Wouldn't that be nice ?

More: too many different languages here. Could we limit ourself to the Standard Houston Dictionary (2013 Edition): Yeah ?

And from now on: now more red hearts: only black ones please.

Bob Herreman

#357 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-17, 12:09

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-16, 05:50, said:

pro tip: use a mobile browser. Fonts and colours are both disabled, and the interface does not look like a parrot.

Looking like a parrot would be consistent with much of the content.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#358 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-18, 09:08

I moved the "Bridge Base Technical Support" category down to the bottom of the forums. This category only contains the locked "Support for Bridge Base Products" forum, and it's just being preserved as an archive of the old posts, so I'm moving it out of the way so it's not so visible.

#359 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-18, 21:50

View PostLurpoa, on 2012-September-14, 01:40, said:

And I have never insulted somebody.

You have a selective memory.

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-June-30, 00:52, said:

Deleted rude post that's just a personal attack - Rain

#360 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-September-19, 04:34

What is the meaning of all the "dots" directly beneath someone's name?

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook