• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#281 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-11, 22:55

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-April-10, 10:52, said:

I assume that is a rhetorical question, underlining a need for the BOT people to re-examine the alleged explanations of calls.

We're fully aware that GIB doesn't approach the same quality standards as the rest of BBO. But it's a much harder problem to solve. Improving the explanations is part of our general maintenance of GIB. But we can only address them on a case by case basis, there's no general solution to the problem.

#282 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-12, 13:00

Moved the thread about moving the BBO Forums to a new platform to the General BBO Forum, since it's not about bridge.

#283 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-16, 13:04

Moved the thread about TD's in the new BBO speedballs from the GIB forum to the BBO Tournaments forum.

#284 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-21, 09:57

Moved the thread asking about whether to announce or alert a 2 transfer to minors to the Simple Rulings forum. It was in Interesting Bridge Hands, yet didn't even supply a hand.

#285 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-21, 12:48

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-21, 09:57, said:

..... It was in Interesting Bridge Hands, yet didn't even supply a hand.

Quite shocking.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#286 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-13, 09:32

A bunch of post by dumpboss were dumped. I don't mind mentioning the name, since he joined bbo today, didn't play any bridge over there, and came here and posted 7 clearly spam post. Thanks to everyone (a lot of you) for reporting these, they were all deleted under an hour from the first one being posted.
--Ben--

#287 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-13, 10:04

Good job, Ben. I can only imagine how many emails you received in a very short time period. It certainly was small compared with the number of people annoyed with the posts who didn't feel it necessary to further dump on you because we knew you would be on top of it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#288 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-20, 22:20

Removed a sarcastic reply to a newbie in "Find a Partner/Teacher", and someone else's followup to it.

#289 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-May-21, 01:13

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-20, 22:20, said:

Removed a sarcastic reply to a newbie in "Find a Partner/Teacher", and someone else's followup to it.

While it was mildly sarcastic, I do think the newbie would have been well served by answering the question...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#290 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-21, 07:42

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-May-21, 01:13, said:

While it was mildly sarcastic, I do think the newbie would have been well served by answering the question...

Assuming he even understood it.

#291 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-22, 13:44

Thread titled "Bad behavior" was removed because it names names. I'll PM the poster and tell him to send to abuse@.

#292 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-May-23, 01:50

[pointless "me too" deleted]

This post has been edited by RMB1: 2012-May-23, 01:54

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#293 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-24, 19:19

Edited a post in the BBO Tournament Directors Forum to remove the name of an ACBL TD that was being complained about.

#294 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-27, 22:48

Removed the advertisement for the iPhone scoring app, as we do not allowing advertising.

#295 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-June-21, 09:35

The thread "Forcing vs. semiforcing NT" had drifted to a discussion of GCC and bracketed KOs in ACBL. I moved all those posts into a new thread in General Bridge Discussion.

#296 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-July-12, 19:19

A Website that is not affiliated with bbo entitled bboskill.com has "stopped updating" its data, and has on its first page a plea for people who enjoyed it, to come to these forum to express their views. They "want" BBO to interact more with them (if I read their page correctly). In my opinion trying to get an interaction with BBO through asking for post on that subject here in the forum is not the correct way to negotiate such things, but what do I know?

Anyway the timing of there message is screwed up, all the important BBO people are in philly and will not see these pleas. In addition, the posters are not posting in forums they routinely monitor anyway (if they were here). I have tried to consolidate the messages into a single thread, but no doubt I may have missed one and more will pop up I am sure. Also a few cross post of the same material was deleted so that only one copy (Hopefully) appears in the merged threads.

i agree with several of you that some of the post are either close to spam or are spam, but many are people that for one reason or the other found this site "useful". For those who did, try this. Find the name you want to "investigate" go to http://online.bridge...hands/index.php and enter that name with a date range of a month, and look and see what the player you were wondering about averaged. Not that I think that information is useful, but that is the same data you use to get from bboskill.com albeit on one player at a time.
--Ben--

#297 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-12, 19:26

View Postinquiry, on 2012-July-12, 19:19, said:

A Website that is not affiliated with bbo entitled bboskill.com has "stopped updating" its data, and has on its first page a plea for people who enjoyed it, to come to these forum to express their views. They "want" BBO to interact more with them (if I read their page correctly). In my opinion trying to get an interaction with BBO through asking for post on that subject here in the forum is not the correct way to negotiate such things, but what do I know?

Anyway the timing of there message is screwed up, all the important BBO people are in philly and will not see these pleas. In addition, the posters are not posting in forums they routinely monitor anyway (if they were here). I have tried to consolidate the messages into a single thread, but no doubt I may have missed one and more will pop up I am sure. Also a few cross post of the same material was deleted so that only one copy (Hopefully) appears in the merged threads.

i agree with several of you that some of the post are either close to spam or are spam, but many are people that for one reason or the other found this site "useful". For those who did, try this. Find the name you want to "investigate" go to http://online.bridge...hands/index.php and enter that name with a date range of a month, and look and see what the player you were wondering about averaged. Not that I think that information is useful, but that is the same data you use to get from bboskill.com albeit on one player at a time.

I completely agree with you that the site did an immature/poor/etc. method of requesting that BBO take up its plea.

That said, I think the plea is worthy; I'd like to see a rating system for BBO results, no matter where it comes from. I don't get quite the results from the search quoted that I'd like.

Anyway, I've advocated (more than) enough for one day. (I did find the site useful, but will refrain from talking about it any more and let the eminent wisdom of the important BBO people take over.)

#298 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-July-12, 22:45

View Postjamegumb, on 2012-July-12, 19:26, said:

I completely agree with you that the site did an immature/poor/etc. method of requesting that BBO take up its plea.

That said, I think the plea is worthy; I'd like to see a rating system for BBO results, no matter where it comes from. I don't get quite the results from the search quoted that I'd like.

Anyway, I've advocated (more than) enough for one day. (I did find the site useful, but will refrain from talking about it any more and let the eminent wisdom of the important BBO people take over.)

Did you even read the post that inquiry made?

SNIP

View Postinquiry, on 2012-July-12, 19:19, said:

Find the name you want to "investigate" go to http://online.bridge...hands/index.php and enter that name with a date range of a month, and look and see what the player you were wondering about averaged.

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#299 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-12, 23:31

View Postjillybean, on 2012-July-12, 22:45, said:

Did you even read the post that inquiry made?

SNIP

Yes. I use that link frequently for analyzing my own info.

#300 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-August-20, 13:17

A series of post with just a large heart were deleted.
--Ben--

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users